Do you eat bass? *POLL*

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you ever eat the bass you catch

• yes i always eat em

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • no catch and release only

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • i only eat em sometimes

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters
I tried bass once and I was quickly turned off by it.It may have been the prep and cooking that was to blame and not the fish.I have a taste for mainly salt water fish and cat fish.

I have before and they taste like other fried fish to me (when they are fried obviously). Catch and release is important in bigger impoundments, but so is taking bass out of ponds. If there is a party or something and I bring fish, I'll eat some bass I caught, but I usually give them away when I take them out of a pond.

I eat Striped Bass and Black Sea Bass

FW Bass - only twice in the past 20 some years - and both times was becuase the bass were mortally wounded when hooked

I'm total catch an release, but my fishing buddy does like the occasional bass as does his family, so he will keep a mess from the strip pits we fish every once in a while. Trust me we could keep every 3rd fish we caught out of these strip pits and never make a dent in the population. Anything over 4 lbs goes back in the water as well as all of the dinks. We have managed to turn a couple of 5's, an 8, and a 10.2 this year. You can believe me when I say we are not going to screw up that fishery.

Never eating any yet.Some people say they taste like haddock so one day I'm sure I'll give it a try.

I don't understand the sacred status that bass have attained.

I don't always eat them but if I'm out of fish in the freezer and have a craving for some, they'll meet a fork and some tartar sauce in a heartbeat.

Naw. I don't really like to eat much of any fish, but the rest of the family will eat mostly trout and catfish as far as freshwater goes, and I am not even going to get into salt (they love it)

FishFry likes bass, catfish, walleye, trout... do I really have to name them all, especially if this is open to saltwater?

I actually let them go quite often. The real determining factor for me is where I catch them, some lakes and rivers I won't eat anything from.

Quackrstackr said:
I don't understand the sacred status that bass have attained.

I don't view them like that. I would just rather have other fish to eat. This year I didn't bring a single fish home. I'm not against it, but I didn't have the time to clean one or two crappie or small cats. I may invest in a vacuum sealer next spring though since I know my spots and what produces eating sized fish.

I have eaten LM Bass before and as it was pan fried it tasted like most any other pan fried fish. Wasn't bad. Now I don't target them but occassionally I catch some but release them when I do. I look at it this way when it comes to C&R. If you have a valid fishing license and catch a legal fish regardless of species, you can keep and eat it as far as I am concerned. What bothers me is the guys that keep under sized fish or throw the fish away. There was a guy that said he went Salmon fishing to have fertilizer for the garden. He used the whole fish and not just the guts and carcass as he doesn't eat Salmon.

FishFry said:
The real determining factor for me is where I catch them, some lakes and rivers I won't eat anything from.

Same here for many fish - unfortunately for me (and very fortunate for the fish) most of the water in my part of the world contains lots of nasty cancer causing chemicals. The Fish Commission recommends no more then one fish meal a month from most fresh Waters

Latest posts