switch labels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeshaw

Reaction score
Time to show my age. I'm looking for labels for my switch panel. My wife has some label making sheets for the computer but I don't think that they're robust enough to use in a constant outdoor environment. I tried to find a label maker, one of the old hand squeeze type ones that use the plastic adhesive back tapes that when you squeeze the handle it embosses the tape, but that was a big no-go. Apparently they don't make them anymore. When I asked about them I just got that deer in the headlights stare. So my question is what do you guys use for labeling your switches that looks decent? The ones that were on my switches are toast. Thanks

Office supply places like Staples, Amazon or perhaps even Costco, SAMs, or Walmart will have P-touch or Dymo label makers.

Additionally, if you google "switch panel labels" you will see a lot of choices for pre-made labels. Perhaps your switch panel maker even has a set.

Stick-On Labels - I use a Brother P-Touch label maker and buy the clear mylar overcoated tape (base tape color is white) that is supposed to be UV and weatherproof, to make various labels for the boat. But the machines are $20 to $35+, plus add for the cartridge of special tape.

How many labels and of what size do you need? As I could make them and send them to you. Send me a PM for what you want them to say and the maximum height/width and I'll let you know. Even send a picture too, so I get a good idea of how much space you have.

Etched Switches - If you ever do upgrade, strongly consider the 'later etched' switches from New Wire Marine (https://newwiremarine.com/marine-grade-switches/illuminated-rocker-switches/) - as they indeed are DE BOMB! Not cheap at $17 to $24 per switch, but they are unreal though!
NWM1.jpg

I wired mine so that when I flip on the NAV Light switch, my bow red/green nav lights go on, as does the white all-around light, but that switch also lights up all of the names on the switch panel. Their switches are available in white, red and blue LED lamps. That bottom LED only lights up whenever that specific circuit is energized.
Backlit-Switches.jpg

Might check with a sign painter that has an edge machine, they can pretty well make anything.
I used to buy decals for my air cleaner that looked great but had to be replaced constantly, a buddy of mine who is a sign painter made one up that has lasted for years.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to look for a Dymo unit, it's cost effective and identical to what I was thinking about. It comes with three tapes, red, black and green. I don't use them real often so this is the ticket for me.

Dale, thanks for the offer, appreciate it! I may have to take you up on it in the future if the tapes don't work out.

Latest posts