Foam matress

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I need to buy a new mattress for my son, and i see all this hype around foam mattresses. I see they even deliver them in a box that you lay on the frame and boom, it expands.

My question is, are these good for your back? Anyone have experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my experience here . . .

Not good for back.

The foam will be OK at first but over time it fatigues & will belly.

Get one with the highest spring coil count you can afford. The higher quality ones will last the longest.

Well, there's foam and then there's foam ...

We had one of those expen$ive Sealy PosturePeadic matresses and I didn't like it at all, so luckily we got the refund. We finally sprung for a Casper mattress and it is the best night sleep we've ever had! Just rotate it every other sheet change or so, which is simple enough to do. I brt most people never rotate them and that wears any mattress out prematurely.

We like the Casper mattress sooooo much that we bought their dog bed for our old pup and he loves it! All cleanable, with inside liners and outside cover, all extremely well made too.

I must be old school. I just have a hard time justifying the kind of money they want for foam. I bought a new mattress this year but it wasn't foam.

We bought a Tempurpedic a few years back. It has been a very good mattress for us. Admittedly, the price is nuts. They do guarantee replacement if it "sags" more than 3/4". I think that is for 10 years. For the high price, it should probably be lifetime.

BTW, cannot store it anyway but flat because of concerns that the foam might actually break and ruin the mattress.

Jim said:
Interesting that the recommendation is to shift/flip them often. I dont think we have flipped our current
mattress​
in 10 years. :LOL2:
FYI, you don't 'flip' the foam mattresses, you just 'rotate' them top to bottom (due to the multi-layer design). Believe me, mattresses last significantly longer by simple/periodic switching its position.

We bought a Purple Hybrid mattress last November. I love it. My wife hates it and ended up putting a foam topper on her side due to it causing her back pain. I was having back pain from our old wore out mattress which went away after getting the Purple. Next time around we'll spring for a Sleep Number so we can both be happy.

DaleH said:
Jim said:
Interesting that the recommendation is to shift/flip them often. I dont think we have flipped our current
mattress​
in 10 years. :LOL2:
FYI, you don't 'flip' the foam mattresses, you just 'rotate' them top to bottom (due to the multi-layer design). Believe me, mattresses last significantly longer by simple/periodic switching its position.

For the tempurpedic mattress we have they say not to flip or rotate it. Believe me I want to rotate the thing because it makes so much sense. But Mrs Ldubs says this time I have to follow the mfg instructions. <sigh>.

I've been sleeping on one of those $200 Amazon specials for 3 years now. Wasn't leaps and bounds better than my old one, but it hasn't sunk or done anything like that.

It's worth noting that I'm young and single, so my experience may not be applicable to you guys.

I have occasional back pain, memory foam didn't seem to help or hurt it.

MrGiggles said:
I've been sleeping on one of those $200 Amazon specials for 3 years now. Wasn't leaps and bounds better than my old one, but it hasn't sunk or done anything like that.

It's worth noting that I'm young and single, so my experience may not be applicable to you guys.

I have occasional back pain, memory foam didn't seem to help or hurt it.

I use a king size version of a similar mattress and love it. If you have a good frame and rotate it regularly you'll be surprised how well they do.

I'm not sure about what constitutes a good frame, They seem generic to me (angles).

The box spring, if you use one, seems pretty important. Mine must be a cheapy. I figured out that it was drooping in the middle. I put in support from floor to middle hip area, preloading maybe 1/8 inch. Night back pain gone!

Wasn't sure if you meant hiking pads, of which I have 0 experience, or mattress type mattresses.

I retired into a travel trailer in 2008 and moved with the seasons for a couple of years. Bought a memory foam queen mattress for it right away and it was a waste of $800. Thing was like sleeping on a slab of wood - it never did soften, even when warm and in cold weather it never did warm up and was like sleeping on a slab of ice. Always felt cold and I ended up putting an opened up sleeping bag under the sheet, both for warmth and a bit more softness. Never again.

I much prefer my present pillow top mattress.

We went to all the "mattress stores" including Sears Macy's etc, then we went to BOB's discount furniture. I good size discount chain around here, and they have their own brand of mattresses. We walked in, and didn't look at brand or price, just a completely blind test and we both agreed in the end, they had 2 mattresses that were better then all the rest, they were the BOB's brand memory foam and the BOB's brand memory foam with gel.

We tried both of these out again and both agreed the one with the gel was a slight winner. That was about 5 years ago now and I haven't got one complaint. A very good mattress and purchase. The price was $900 ($899) for the queen size and it beat out other brands costing 3-4 times more.

Crazyboat said:
We went to all the "mattress stores" including Sears Macy's etc, then we went to BOB's discount furniture. I good size discount chain around here, and they have their own brand of mattresses. We walked in, and didn't look at brand or price, just a completely blind test and we both agreed in the end, they had 2 mattresses that were better then all the rest, they were the BOB's brand memory foam and the BOB's brand memory foam with gel.

We tried both of these out again and both agreed the one with the gel was a slight winner. That was about 5 years ago now and I haven't got one complaint. A very good mattress and purchase. The price was $900 ($899) for the queen size and it beat out other brands costing 3-4 times more.

I think this is really good advice. I paid a heavy "logo" tax for that popular name brand. Could have avoided that if I had known better.

LDUBS said:
Crazyboat said:

I think this is really good advice. I paid a heavy "logo" tax for that popular name brand. Could have avoided that if I had known better.

For what it's worth we also bought a Sleep number bed prior to this and what started out as a great purchase soon went flop. The first few years it was nice, adjust the firmness as desired, a nice toy. But after a few years seems started coming apart, we sent in under the warranty and to our amazement we got a new mattress cover, FREE!

That new cover lasted 2 years and it started coming apart, we sent in again, only to find out that our 10 yr warranty was a declining one after 5 years and we were just on the outside looking in, they wanted us to pay $800 for a new cover!

We trashed the old mattress and for about $900 got a brand new mattress that we like more, go figure. Lick the wounds and move on, pass the info onto others. Wisdom means learning from getting burned. Peace

I am less than impressed with my Sleep Number bed. It's ok but not worth the cost of them. I found out my sleep number is 100. I would have liked it if it went to 120.

We have sleep number too. I'm not sure the age close to 20 but in very good condition.
The readout on the remote is out but we'd like it if it went to 115.
Firm but not as hard as 120.