Hang tarp over camper without ladder?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sccamper

Reaction score
Maybe yall can give me an idea on how I can tarp my camper when useing. Its an old camper and needs some work. All the little things have been done over the years and its come down to structeral work. The roof needs to be replaced but its not worth it when some wood in the corner wall needs to be replaced and Im not going thru a ground up rebuild. We have only been useing it a couple times a year. I want to cover it with a tarp but have air space between it and the roof. Without a ladder, I cant hang it between the trees high enough to get it off the roof. I was thinking of makeing a pvc frame box to set on the roof and lift the tarp. 12" square and 6' wide, simular to 3 or 4 milk crattes side by side. It could slide apart when not in use and wouldnt cost much. The awning in picture is gone. The tarp will hang over the front of camper to make the awning. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• fall camp 39empup.jpg
    fall camp 39empup.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 572
The pvc tubing frame sounds good to me, and as stated, not glue it, but maybe drill holes and use bolts to hold it together while in use. Might take a Sharpie and number the cooresponding fittings/tubes to match-up when assembling it. I'd also have the ridge higher for water run-off. Not yet sure how'd you'd temporarily mount it to the roof of the camper so it doesn't blow-off in if the winds pick up.

sccamper, you might want to take a look at this site they have more mods and ideas for pop ups than you can shake a stick at.

https://www.popupportal.com/fhome.asp

Sc, We always tarped our popup for the 15+ years we went camping. We used a 20 x 30 ft tarp, a box of bungies, rope, tent poles and stakes. It got to the point we could set it up anywhere in 15 minutes. Throw the tarp over the pop up and completely cover it, then crank it up. Tie any part of the tarp you can to trees using rope and a bungie. A bungie must be used every time a part of the tarp is attached to a tree. The bungie takes the stress of of the tarp eyelets when the wind bows. Where you dont have trees aluminum tent poles and stakes using bungies and rope. If we wanted the tarp higher we had an expandable handle we got at the hardware store for brooms or paint rollers. Cut the top off of a plastic coke bottle, out it upsidedown on the handle and strap it either to an upright on the camper or to a picnic table that is under your tarp. A tarp set up this size is a life saver when it rains. You can store everything underneath, even your car or truck. Packing up in the rain is a breeze too. Bring down a corner of the tarp down for drainage. Pack up the camper, hookup the car, put your rain gear on to take down your tarp, roll it up with the poles and stakes and strap it to the front of the camper and your off. At least that is the way we did it.

Hope this helps. Take care and have fun! :D

Latest posts