Ugh.. worst day of boating.. so far

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
I say worst day of boating "so far" because it could always be worse and probably will be. I mean no one died so we got that goin for us..

Just got back from a little outing with my two kids. Was going to take the boat out on this nice sunny November day. Haven't gotten out in a while and being in a cold winter climate, who knows how much longer we have.

With two young kids, it's always fun and things are usually a bit hectic. I must have not locked the winch or somet when I took the safety chain off because as I backed down the ramp the boat slid off the rollers. Luckily I had just raised the motor so it didn't make contact and was just resting on the back of the hull, which now will probably leak around those rivets I'm guessing.

There was a passerby who happen to have a hand winch in his truck and we got it back on the trailer as the trailer winch was just spinning on the spool.

Ended up launching it after that debacle and then the motor wouldn't start. Had to pack it up and the kids fished off the docks and still had a bit of fun.

Just a little rant after that fun morning. I'm sure stupider things have been done but I certainly feel like an idiot.

Since I got the boat this year I've been trying to do all the work myself (with much help from this forum) and haven't taken it anywhere. I think it's probably time to have someone give it a once over. Probably give the carbs a good cleaning.

Not sure how to handle the new dent in the back of the hull where the rivets are. Probably need to put some sealant over it.

Boats are fun, right? [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Glad the kids are OK too! So what’s going on with the motor?

Did it poop, did it fart, did if crank cough & sneeze? Or did it just crank? Make/model/year?

Pull or electric start? Did you use the choke? Primer bulb firm? Ignition kill lanyard connected?

Need details to help ...

Need picture of dent.

You are not the 1st to have boat roll off trailer at ramp. Won't be the last either!

DaleH said:
Glad the kids are OK too! So what’s going on with the motor?

Did it poop, did it fart, did if crank cough & sneeze? Or did it just crank? Make/model/year?

Pull or electric start? Did you use the choke? Primer bulb firm? Ignition kill lanyard connected?

Need details to help ...
Thanks Dale.

As far as the motor goes, just cranks and cranks. Didn't cough or try to start. It's a two stroke 70hp Johnson 1990. Plugs were changed this year. Electric start. Not sure when carbs were last cleaned before I bought it. Haven't had it out in a couple months but ran it on muffs a couple weeks ago when I replaced the rectifier.

One thing I probably need is a spark checker to see if it's getting weak spark or something.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Need picture of dent.

You are not the 1st to have boat roll off trailer at ramp. Won't be the last either!
[emoji1751][emoji1751][emoji1751]

Still haven't left the plug out. Waiting for that one.

Glad you and the kids are OK.

I had gone out one day and the motor wouldn't start on my boat. It ran fine the day before at home as I was preparing it for the next day. I purchased gas that morning before launching and received a batch of bad gas. After getting fresh fuel in it the motor ran fine. Did you buy gas before launching?

With a hard jolt like that first thing I would check would be make sure the kill switch key was still attached. If it came out she ain't gonna hit a lick.

Try this ...

-Insert key & turn to ON but do not crank

-Pump primer bulb firm

-Push IN on key and hold & count to 5 or 6 ... s l o w l y ... release, let key out

-Pump bulb firm again

-Raise throttle-in-neutral lever a bit

-Push key IN & crank

... I bet she fires right up ...

Hope you get things figured out soon. I know the frustration about boats. I have Grand plans for mine, this past summer. But my health was keeping me out of the things that I could have done.
I'm rooting for you.

Pour some water in her while she's on the trailer, if it doesn't leak out she won't leak in.

As a kid I was jumping wakes in a mini speed boat, forgot to tighten the clamps and when the prop bit the water, off she came, a nice running 25 Merc on the bottom, luckily I got us a tow home and managed to get the engine restarted. Chit happens. I've got another story for ya next time you think you screwed up.

Latest posts