Sunheat Electric Heaters?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natetrack

Reaction score
Anybody use one of these things? www.sunheat.com

My dad got a flyer about them so I ordered one because my house is heated with fuel oil and I don't feel like paying $3000 or whatever to the oil companies. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on how they work.

Product review to follow shortly as the temps are dipping into the 40's at night in North Dakota.

I didn't even see what powered them, but will assume it's electric......not a cheap alternative. The only advantage would be "spot" heating (1 or 2 rooms) while turning back the thermostat.

Might pay to consider an upgrade to the heating system to high-efficiency (90%+) LP gas (assuming once again natural gas isn't available)....or consider adding a wood burner if you have a source for wood.

I'd also start researching to build my own solar heater(s).

.....I was a HVAC Contractor for 30 years :wink:

ST

this is an electric heater, and will be used to supplement my existing fuel oil furnace. The heater claims to be able to heat 1000 sq ft as a supplemental unit, which is about the size of my main floor. I figure, even if this thing saves me a tank of fuel at $4 a gallon it will have paid for itself. Electricity is fairly cheap here at $.063/kwh so even if I run this thing at full blast 24 hours a day at 1500 watts, (24h x 1.5kw= 36kwh x .063 = $2.27 per day) $2.27 x 31 = $70.31/month x 6 = $421.85 for the entire heating season. That is what I paid last year per month in fuel oil when fuel oil was $3.20/gallon. I know I will have to use some fuel oil, but like I said even if this thing saves me one tank of fuel ($4 x 200 gallons = $800) this thing will have paid for itself.

I would upgrade to natural gas, but I don't have the pipe from the street to my house so I would have to pay to have the gas company dig up my yard and install the meter, then pay for the furnace, and then try and get the old furnace out of my basement. Don't have that kind of funds available at the moment.

lol....ever eat at McDonalds (or anywhere else)? Ever notice how the food on the menus looks nothing like what they serve? The hamburger patties are an inch thick in the pics, and the sandwich is a foot tall....see where I'm going with this? :wink:

Not sure about your gas company there, but here, if the main runs in front of the house, they run it though the yard & hang a meter free, you pay for the pipe going into the home. I understand the lack of funds though, it's the world we live in......

Oil furnaces need serviced yearly. I was one of the few local who would even work on them. They need torn apart, heat exchanger flue passages brushed, burner serviced, nozzle, filters (air & fuel), and combustion test (CO, smoke, draft) & adjustments made to get maximum efficiency. They can tell you the efficiency of your current unit by a combustion test.

ST

a friend at work gave me this. edenpurestore.com.i'v never seen or used one of these.but with the cost of energy i hope this can help.

Insulation, weather-stripping and programmable thermostats are probably a much more effective investment.

Read this....

https://reviews.ebay.com/Sunheat-Heater-Actual-Energy-Cost_W0QQugidZ10000000005575436

https://www.viewpoints.com/Sunheat-1500W-Space-Heater-review-fea82

https://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=35378

Infrared heaters of any type are horrible for trying to heat a space such as a home.

The basic fundamentals of infrared heating won't allow it. They don't heat the air, they heat objects that are in the path of the infrared waves.

Unless you have some sort of large object capable of generating (and storing) that heat that you can point it at, you are wasting your time and money unless you and your family intend on sitting and sleeping directly in front of the thing.

I talked to my uncle, who is one of those guys that knows everyone in town, and he said that he knew of 4 people who had them and 2 hated the thing and 2 said that it is the best investment they have made. :-k I guess I have a 50-50 shot, I will either hate it or love it.

I will post my review once sufficient testing has been done.

I'd ask for a 100% customer satisfaction money-back guarantee (in writing) if they're so sure it'll do as they claim. If they refuse.....that should tell you something.......

ST

"I will post my review once sufficient testing has been done."

Do computers work when the room is below freezing ?? :roll:

DocWatson said:
"I will post my review once sufficient testing has been done."

Do computers work when the room is below freezing ?? :roll:
:LMFAO:

They have a money back guarantee so I am covered that way. And if it does freeze in my house i'll just post from work. :lol: