Knife questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
I figure this is a good crowd to ask about both of these knives, seeing how many of you are hunters too.

First - I'm looking for a quality fillet knife. We have a cheap rapala brand fillet but it seems to be mediocre at best. I remember watching people fillet fish on the docks off the gulf of mexico and being wowed by how sharp and flexible those blades were. I'm hoping there is a quality knife out there that can be had for under $50.

Secondly... I'm looking for a good drop point knife under 6" in length. Any suggestions that fall under the $150 range?

For the fillet knife you cannot beat a Forschner Fillet Knife. Get the Fibrox handle it is simple to clean and maintain.

I have several different versions but the one i use the most is an 8" Fillet Knife with a flexible blade

Forschner is a Swiss company and they use a high carbon stainless blade - best part is becuase this is a commercial knife if is relatively inexpensive about $20 - $25

You can get these knives at restaurant supply stores and will usually get the best price there as well.

Here is a link to an online store: https://www.deiequipment.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9440/.f

In my (slightly} younger days I worked for Interstate Seafood out of Philadelphia cleaning fish - what a fun job (although I smelled even worse then normal at the end of a shift)

We used both Forschner and Dexter-Russel knives but I always liked the Forschner blades better!

Now I know Jake is an avid knife guy and can help with the drop point question. Jake has some crazy nice collectors knives that he occasionally looses lakeside. Heck, had it not been for Jake's lost knife we woudl never have discovered a spot to fish black poppers at night with great success :mrgreen:

The wooden-handled Rapala knives are one of my favorite to fillet with, however the black plastic handled ones seem to be a lesser quality. May just be me?? #-o

Dexter-Russel are great knives, that was all I used for skinning critters come trapping season.

Check out Rat Cutlery: https://www.ratcutlery.com/

ST

browndog said:
for the money,rapala with wooden handle 7 1/2inch and the 4 inch are my favorites.

Browndog- Do you notice a difference compared to the plastic handled ones?

ST

never used the plastic rapala but i do have a rubber handle OLD TIMER with about 7 or 8 inch blade and it aint worth a hoot.

help me out.... I've always used the Rapala filllet knife with good success. Lost mine and bought a new one, but it doesn't hold a sharp edge. I was excited hearing about the Forschner from the Capt., but, with all the good reviews about the Rapala, it started me thinking? I wonder if they started making them cheaper - less quality steel or something? It seems like I have to sharpen my new one every 6-7 fish - my old one lasted for whole seasons without needing to be sharpened (and yes, I did catch some fish :) In any case, the one I bought a year ago needs sharpening every trip out - and doesn't hold a sharp edge, pain in the butt..... So, I'm going to look at those forschners for sure.

Probably like everything else these days, made cheaper than in the past???? Any thoughts? Hey, maybe I'm catching tougher fish these days :lol: :lol:

i sharpen mine every two or three fish,i'm not sure if it needs it that soon or if it's just habit.but like i said for the money best fishing knives i'v used.

FishingCop said:
help me out.... I've always used the Rapala filllet knife with good success. Lost mine and bought a new one, but it doesn't hold a sharp edge. I was excited hearing about the Forschner from the Capt., but, with all the good reviews about the Rapala, it started me thinking? I wonder if they started making them cheaper - less quality steel or something? It seems like I have to sharpen my new one every 6-7 fish - my old one lasted for whole seasons without needing to be sharpened (and yes, I did catch some fish :) In any case, the one I bought a year ago needs sharpening every trip out - and doesn't hold a sharp edge, pain in the butt..... So, I'm going to look at those forschners for sure.

Probably like everything else these days, made cheaper than in the past???? Any thoughts? Hey, maybe I'm catching tougher fish these days :lol: :lol:

If you liked those Rapala knives you will love a real professional knife like a Forschner. Hold teh two side by side and compare

Captain Ahab said:
FishingCop said:

If you liked those Rapala knives you will love a real professional knife like a Forschner. Hold teh two side by side and compare

I'm already sold Capt., when I read the first post about them and looked at them on line, I'm definately getting one. I just was wondering why my Rapala didn't perform like the old days?? Got a restaurant supply close by, gonna call and see if thay have them, if not, gonnas order one on line, sight unseen, based on the recommendation....

I looked at the Rapala Knife web page and they keep talking about "redesigned" knives. Also, it looks like the newer generation Rapala knives are all stainless steel - which is great but tends to be very difficult to sharpen. If I remember the older Rapale knives woudl get some blemishes, which is a sign that they had a higher carbon blade.

Captain Ahab said:
I looked at the Rapala Knife web page and they keep talking about "redesigned" knives. Also, it looks like the newer generation Rapala knives are all stainless steel - which is great but tends to be very difficult to sharpen. If I remember the older Rapale knives woudl get some blemishes, which is a sign that they had a higher carbon blade.

Higher carbon, stainless steel, "redesigned"..whatever, I'm still gonna get one of those Forschners.........

Don't know on a filet knife ..I always used a cheap $10 electric from the kitchen section at walmart. They work great if your at home or where there is electricity.

My hunting knife is a Gerber Freeman s30v with cocobolo handle and gut hook. I bought it at Cabela's for $89. Now they're $104.

oh yeah....My buddy showed me a lil trick for when your in a jam and need to sharpen your knife. go out to your truck or car and roll the window half way down and use the top edge of the window to sharpen your knife. Works great in a jam.

switchback said:
oh yeah....My buddy showed me a lil trick for when your in a jam and need to sharpen your knife. go out to your truck or car and roll the window half way down and use the top edge of the window to sharpen your knife. Works great in a jam.
i dont think the top of the window is sharpening it,it is just striaghtining the edge on it

I have a Browning model 909 Fillet knife I use when at home but the one I carry in the boat for bleeding the Salmons and ulitimately filleting them at the shore cleaning station is an old Robinson Knife Company fillet knife my dad used to use like 40 years ago. Leather sheath is long gone so it now resides in a plastic sheath under the seat of my boat.

Latest posts