The good old days....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
I was watching some old music videos on YouTube earlier (which I like to do now & then), & got to thinking about some of the days gone by….

I’ve seen those lists about “Do you remember when”, and came-up with a few of my own.

Do you remember………..

The Midnight Special?
hbsw0254.gif

Wolfman Jack?
scif6E5.gif

Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, The Gong Show and the Unknown Comic?
scifF6.gif

American Bandstand (Dick Clark)?
scifD1A.gif

The little yellow plastic pieces that snapped inside a 45rpm record to play it on the little nub made for a 33rpm record?

Drive-In Movies
hbsw0086.gif

When having an 8-track in your car was “cool”?
scif94.gif

Getting ticketed for “Illegal rear bumper height” on your car?
hbsw02D2.gif

Nickel cokes in the little bottles?
scifD13.gif

Cruise-in (not drive-thru) ‘burger joints?
hbsw0040.gif

Sock-Hops at School?
scifC5.gif

When your favorite song was sung by yesterdays Marilyn Manson:
hbsw04F4.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNEOJMGFAo&feature=related

lol,… Smokin’ in the Boys Room (not the song)?
hbsw04D8.gif

Lake Pipes?
hbsw0040.gif

Quarts of oil in glass jars & metal spouts (not plastic or paper quarts)?
hbsw043E.gif

Marking-off exactly ¼ mile on a local stretch of road?
hbsw01D6.gif

25-30 cent a gallon gasoline?
hbsw0430.gif

Getting a black & white TV when it 1st came-out?
hbsw016D.gif

When music had a “story” behind it, and made a statement? Protests, “sit-ins”, ”flower power”? You could actually understand the words, and feel the emotion of the lyrics? People & artists both stood for what they believed-in.
hbsw0055.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouCJ-hdMFyw

Captain Kangaroo & Mr Greenjeans?
scifDF3.gif

Woodstock (lol, the real one)? And all the great musicians dying of overdoses (Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin)?
hbsw02AF.gif

Changing the age on your drivers license (when they were paper, and not laminated), for illegal purposes?
scif86.gif

Bazooka Joe (Bubble Gum)?
hbsw03B9.gif

Felix the Cat?
hbsw00BE.gif

Having a bicycle with a banana seat, sissy bar, and balloon tires?
hbsw013C.gif

When ALL grocery bags were paper?
scifF6.gif

Buddy Holly & the song Don McLean wrote about him? (includes a little trivia about both)
hbsw0254.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZFiMo8TIc&feature=related

Re-webbing your lawn chairs? I don't even think you can find the webbing anymore
scif572.gif

When you watched American Graffiti for the 1st time, and it seemed like a typical summer weekend of your life….lol, and you were John Milner (or Toad)?
scif231.gif

Those who didn’t grow-up or live through the 50’s-60’s-and 70’s missed some of the best times, and the end of a few “eras” , I’m glad I was able to……and miss those times.

ST

SlimeTime said:
Getting a black & white TV when it 1st came-out?
hbsw016D.gif
ST

A 13" black and white(actually more of a grey and white) tv that my parents and us five children watched. You had to get up and walk to it to change the channel. There were only 4 channels and if the president was on your night was shot.

Watchen the late late show, Friday night fights, my pops still has a double edge razor, getten drunk at the drive-in movies(we had three andalusia, Lincoln, & Morrisville), putting on your first glass pack, I still have 8 track tapes, the only thing you bought to a fight was your two fists(maybe an ice pack), you could leave your doors and windows open at night, serving my papers and collecting on Friday nights, wearing platform shoes, cruising up and down high st., getting a jumbo jack at jack-in the-box at 2 in the morning(trying not to slur your words), having to work in Arizona for a year(no work here), seeing muskrat pelts hanging up in our porch, going to college and not going to any classes,(that didnt last long so i joined the Navy), playing with the Hoola-hoop, I got a ticket for altering my rear suspension, chuck taylors were $12, hair cuts 50 cent, collecting soda bottles(2 cent for the little guys and 5 cent for the biggy), waxing the runners on your sled the night before a big storm, trick or treating and getting the big candy bars(till 10 at night), I could go on and on but I,m not, I'm with ya ST I miss those wonderful, beautilful, crazy times.

I caught the tail end of the 70's. I had a purple banana seat bike(with glitter) with a big flag and bell....I was gangster :LOL2:

Like this but Purple, not the sissy pink/purple, the deep thick grape purple. And it was glitter, not the Mickey mouse stuff they have out now, I'm talking big thick reflective glitter! :LOL2:

Gangster! 8)

deluxe.gif

Jim said:
I caught the tail end of the 70's. I had a purple banana seat bike(with glitter) with a big flag and bell....I was gangster :LOL2:

Like this but Purple, not the sissy pink/purple, the deep thick grape purple. And it was glitter, not the Mickey mouse stuff they have out now, I'm talking big thick reflective glitter! :LOL2:

Gangster! 8)

deluxe.gif

Mine was just about the same but I had a 5 speed and the shifter was on the top crossbar of the frame (semi-dangerous place for a boy if you know what I'm talkin' about). and it was ORANGE, VERY ORANGE.

Here's what it looked like. Mine was minus the bat holder and mirror. I remember the front fork having some spring in it but don't remember it being chromed, thought it was painted orange as well. And let me tell you what... You mess up adjusting that front drum brake and you were azz over teakettle (what does that really mean?) if you just used the front brakes coming down a steep hill. That's also how I know the shifter location was dangerous.

Schwinn.jpg

Good ones Shamoo! Some of which I'd forgotten.

Jim & Flounder- Schwinn made a series of those bike, matter of fact the one pictured is the Orange Krate......you should check the value of them now :shock: They're huge collector items. I remember the Apple Krate too, believe there was Grape Krate, and was trying to remember the silver gray one ?

ST

Just found this: (I forgot about the Pea Picker)

https://gtfreestyle-live.gtbikes.com/stingray/history.html

Photo of Sting-Ray KratePerhaps the most famous model of Sting-Ray was, and is, the Krate. Distinguished by its hot rod colors, small 16-inch front wheel, fat rear tire, rear shock, springer front end, and infamous Stik-Shift, the Krate series was by far the most tricked-out Sting-Ray ever created. It hit the market in 1968, priced between $86.95 and $129.95. Between 1968 and 1970, Schwinn sold over one million Krates, transforming it into a pop culture icon. Then in 1974, the Consumer Product Safety Commission banned the Krate's signature Stik-Shift, essentially ending the life of the bike.

While the Sting-Ray era may have ended with the birth of BMX, the popularity of the classic Sting-Ray has never faded. If you happen to have an Orange Krate, Apple Krate, Pea Picker or Grey Ghost in the garage, you are probably sitting on a small fortune. Krates in mint condition are commonly sold for upwards of $2,000.

Yeah, I wish... That thing is loooonnggg gone. I got a 10 speed after the Stingray and that got stolen, bought a replacement 10 speed and that got stolen as well. After that I learned to lock it up. What really sucked was the first time the bikes (mine and my sisters) were stolen they were sitting in our garage with the overhead door open. Some guy in a pick up truck pulled up to the house and came to the front door and asked for directions. When he left the bikes were gone. The second time my bike was stolen we (me and my 2 buddies) saw them get on our bikes and ride away. We had parked them alongside the road when we walked about a 1/4 mile through a wet and freshly plowed farmer's field to go swimming in his pond. We had to throw on our clothes and try to run 1/4 mile through mud and muck and by the time we got to the road they were way long gone. We knew who it was too but nobody did anything about it.

We used to cut the forks off an old bike & pound them onto the forks on our bikes, making them a "chopper" 8)

Yeppers on the bellbottoms, and the long-hair that went with 'em. I'll have to see if I can dig-up a pic or two :wink:

Bubba, sorta...that was early-on in my years, and was on it's way-out when I was coming of age. When I was young (pre-teen), dad made sure I never had enough hair to put any grease in #-o .

ST

Well, I've been holding off responding to this thread because I remember all the things mentioned already, but, alas, I remember other (older) things as well. Whe I was young, the term "greaser" hadn't been born yet, the "socialites" was a common term but the long haired "greaser" look wasn't coined yet - in my area, they called them "hard guys" - the duck tail hair cuts, cigarettes rolled up in the t-shirt sleeve, etc. The musical group Sha Na Na portrys a look that I was familaiar with.

Those sissy looking bananna bicycles weren't a part of my ara - we had full size, baloon tire 26" Schwinns, stripped down completely (no fenders, etc.) usually turned the handle bars over and, more often than not, we jury-rigged a lawn mower engine for a homemade motor bike (no cops back then where I was) - unincorporated small town - which also gave us free reign to do whatever we wanted on Fri-Sat nights :p Drag racing (when we reached 16 and got a license- or in many cases, when we sneaked out the family car when the parents weren't home - and, of course, we were only 14 or 15 and didn't have a license yet) was a regular weekend event - as well as drive-in movies, of course. How many of us had our first date (and how many of us lost our virginity) on a Friday night at a drive-in??? :)

Well, I won't ramble anymore, but sufffice to say, the old days for all of us hold many wonderful memories and I think I've forgotten more than I can remember about those wonderful growing up years... :D :D :D

I'll post more if I happen to remember something exceptional about my growing up in the late 50's/early 60's...... But, lately, my memory seems to fail me :( :? #-o

I use to wear my hair in a ducks tail, we use to call it a DA(Ducks Arse)I use to put baby oil in my hair for the greaser look,(Girls use to run away from me cause I had so much oil in my hair) and my shoes were "flagg flyers" than graduated to "cuben heels", than "desert boots" than desert boots with ripple soles, than enginear boots, penny loafers but always had my Chuck Taylors (high tops)

shamoo said:
I use to wear my hair in a ducks tail, we use to call it a DA(Ducks Arse)I use to put baby oil in my hair for the greaser look,(Girls use to run away from me cause I had so much oil in my hair) and my shoes were "flagg flyers" than graduated to "cuben heels", than "desert boots" than desert boots with ripple soles, than enginear boots, penny loafers but always had my Chuck Taylors (high tops)

Now shamoo, you've trown me for a loop - the DA was exactly what i was talkin' about, but (we used Brillcream)- except for the penny loafers and engineer boots, I don't recognize any of the "named" styles of shoes - maybe I would recognize them by their look, but I don't remember those names??? -- Like I said, my memory fails me :roll: Of course, I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, I'm not a Jersey boy like you - hey, did you sing on the street corners when you were young? and were you wearing your "Chuck Taylors"?? :lol:

Dude, I googled Desert boots and found them(clarks mens desert boots) but dont know how to get them here also googled Flagg flyers, found something about them but again I dont know what to do, so if you want to google them, have at it.

FishingCop said:
Those sissy looking bananna bicycles weren't a part of my ara

I had to have a place for my 1st wife to set #-o

Anyone have a Varoom motor? 8) And did you guys put pennies in your loafers :shock: :mrgreen:

ST

Latest posts