tips and tricks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedawg1149

Reaction score
please list any tips or tricks you know about fishing. you can take a sparkplug bend the end over hook a swivel to it ,when you get hung uphook it to your line let it slide down your line and pop it and your hook will come loose

Anchor Chain said:
Good Idea, show pictures if possible.

Later
A.C.

A.C. You take a spark plug - hook the ground electrode over your snagged line (bend it down a little) and let it slide down - shake it and it will drive the hooks backwards freeing the snagged lure - works about 80% of the time - the other 20% you lose the spark plug and your lure

spark_plug.jpg

You can also use a lead sinker - I take a bank sinker and a snap swivel or piece of line and do the same thing becuase I always forget to carry the spark plug

Change the way your spinner bait sounds in the water by drilling a hole or multiple holes in the blade. This will change the harmonic sound it makes. On days that everyone is catching fish on spinnerbaits this could make the difference between catching average fish and the fish of a life time or at least the winning sack at the weigh in scales

Something different is all it takes sometimes

hey guys ever had one of those days when your casting just sucks,you keep getting wind knots or bird nests very frustrating you probaly have heaps of line twist ,probaly caused by not spooling up right or line not laying on spool correct , to rectify this problem easily just take your lure off let about 50 yds of line off the back of the boat while you are going real slow about 5 knots as you travel your line will untwist leave it out for about a minute then reel in again and you have perfect line once more works every time on braid and nylon

dedawg1149 said:
hey guys ever had one of those days when your casting just sucks,you keep getting wind knots or bird nests very frustrating you probaly have heaps of line twist ,probaly caused by not spooling up right or line not laying on spool correct , to rectify this problem easily just take your lure off let about 50 yds of line off the back of the boat while you are going real slow about 5 knots as you travel your line will untwist leave it out for about a minute then reel in again and you have perfect line once more works every time on braid and nylon

Agree, but I let it all out! :beer:

wacky worm weights.Take a wire clothes hanger and cut it into small pieces. Cut it different lengths for more or less weight. It's a lot cheaper than buying the wacky worm weights and you can customize the weights to your liking.

To get those bird nests out, as soon as it happens you should stop, relax, and take a couple of deep breaths, than tighten down on your drop rate knob(snug)and start pulling out the line. you might have to pick a little bit but usually not, this is the real deal.

dedawg1149 said:
This also works for arrows on bowfishing reels. :D

To avoid the ultimate backlash make a long cast,pull off some additional line, and put a piece of electrical tape on the spool. You can then reel up the rest of the line. The reel will only backlash to the tape.

dedawg1149 said:
To avoid the ultimate backlash make a long cast,pull off some additional line, and put a piece of electrical tape on the spool. You can then reel up the rest of the line. The reel will only backlash to the tape.

Now that sounds like a most excellent tip. I am planning on teaching myself the art of casting a baitcaster and that sounds like it will save a few headaches.

I'm having a hard time coming-up with something to add to this one. I'm sure I have a couple, but after you do something so long, it seems less of a tip for others, and just more "regular" fishing.

I'll have to put on my thinkin' cap.......

ST

Found a very simple and easy way to clean the flat 4 and 5 prong trailer connections. Get a 22 caliber bore cleaning brush at the local gun shop or sports section of Wal-mart. It fits perfectly into the female connections and will also clean the male connects. Spray a little WD-40 on both and you are done in a matter of seconds.

Barbless hooks.

I do this when I'm not planning on keeping any...
Squeeze the barb down with pliers for easy removal.

Here's a good one everyone should know. I've used it a few times myself, but not on myself.

hook_removal.jpg

Remove hook from lure. Double the fishing line and loop it around the hook, as close to the skin's surface as possible. Hold onto both ends of the doubled line, wrapping them around your hand for a firm grip and holding the line parallel to the skin's surface in line with the fish hook. With your other hand, press the eye of the hook down onto the surface of the skin and back toward the hook's bend, as if trying to back the hook out of the wound. While pressing on the hook eye, yank the line sharply, parallel to the skin and in line with the hook, to snap the hook back out of the wound.

"toothpicking" a horny toad, but it is just one way to be able to fish the same bait longer and you don't have to adjust it a lot. Simply rig your horny toad like you normally do. Then, Take a SQUARE toothpick and shove it through the horny toad, through the eye of the hook, and out the other side of the toad. This keeps the bait from slipping down the shank of the hook.

Another trick I like to do when spooling on new mono on a spinning reel....

Fill the spool to where you want it, then tie a swivel onto the end of your line. Go outside and snap that swivel onto something(phone pole, bumper of your truck, etc) then start backing up while letting line out......I like to back up about as far as possible, but at least a good full casts length. Close the bail and pull the line taut and keep pulling....your trying to "stretch" the line to almost "break it in". I think this helps with that new line coiling off your spool and twisting when you cast. It may not prevent it completely, but I think it really helps(at least it does for me).

Before spooling-on new mono, take the entire spool and set it in a bowl, pan, whatever, of warm (not hot) water for a few minutes. It'll "remove" some (not all) of the memory. I also do it with the Yo-Zuri Hybrid I use. :)

Latest posts