charge your trolling batteries with your truck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly they work but they need to get someone to rewrite their sales pitch on that site.

There is so much half truth and misleading info on there (also a good ol' outright falsity or two thrown in) that it comes off like a middle of the night infomercial.

I'll stick to my "expensive AC onboard or portable chargers plus all those extension cords." and plug my onboard in when I get home (which was actually cheaper than their product). It also keeps the battery charged 24/7..... which is the real culprit behind premature battery failures, not the failure to charge as soon as you turn the trolling motor off. :roll:

"While you stop at the coffee shop in the morning to get a good cup of hot coffee the batteries are still charging and they keep on being charged because it does not matter if you driving or ideling your truck's alternator is charging the betteries at the same rate (Amps)."

Funny, every time I've jump-started a vehicle, I rev the motor & the amp gauge climbs......

Go to the parts store, get a continuous use solenoid (like on a golf-cart) for your boat batteries, that way it's only drawing power when the key is on & motor running......same thing the guy in the link is doing. :wink:

ST

PS- Unrelated, but I run a Ford Solenoid mounted on my Chevy trucks inner fender. I run hedders and Chevys are notorious for heat-sink in the solenoid.....mine's never failed me.

I had 2 batteries in my car.1 for the car and 1 for the entertainment system.I also had a 110 amp alternator specificly built for that.A standard truck alternator would have a hard time charging batteries,maintaining a charge shouldn't be a problem.Charging 2 batteries would require a second alternator putting out around 40 amps.The distance to the batteries would require heavy cables such as those used on the battery for the vehicle doing the charging.I also believe it would take more time than a trip across town to charge up to batteries,unless that trip takes over an hour.Another thing to keep in mind is voltage loss over a given distance.DC doesn't like to travel very well.You could be getting 14.4 volts at the alternator and only seeing 11 or 12 volts at the batteries in the boat.Bigger wiring and a dedicated alternator will solve this.That's why some RV's have more than one alternator and an on board charger.It would be unfortunate for some one to damage their truck,boat,and/or equipment because of a gimick.

SlimeTime said:
"While you stop at the coffee shop in the morning to get a good cup of hot coffee the batteries are still charging and they keep on being charged because it does not matter if you driving or ideling your truck's alternator is charging the betteries at the same rate (Amps)."

Funny, every time I've jump-started a vehicle, I rev the motor & the amp gauge climbs......

Go to the parts store, get a continuous use solenoid (like on a golf-cart) for your boat batteries, that way it's only drawing power when the key is on & motor running......same thing the guy in the link is doing. :wink:

ST

PS- Unrelated, but I run a Ford Solenoid mounted on my Chevy trucks inner fender. I run hedders and Chevys are notorious for heat-sink in the solenoid.....mine's never failed me.

you seem to have a lot of knowledge with electrical stuff, how about doing a wiring your boat 101 article for the site?

The stay & charge has been around for years it is a great product and does what it says they also have a unit the will charge your boat while running the gas motor once your starting battery hits a set voltage it kicks over and starts charging your trolling batteries.
I can't say that your batteries will be fully charged by the time you get home but you will have a good start.

Wayne

Now that we are in the subject,

The battery that came with my boat was bought on 5/2007 from Walmart, but it now leaks fluid when it is under charge and when it is under load being used.

I don't know if Walmart would grant a replacement even though I was not the original purcharser of the battery ?

What do you guys think ?

The battery that came with my boat was bought on 5/2007 from Walmart, but it now leaks fluid when it is under charge and when it is under load being used.

do not touch the electrolite (fluid) you dont want that crap absorbing into your skin. sounds like you have a shorted cell in the batt. walmart will take anything back

I googled some reviews for it and people seem to like it.Some people say they hardly ever use there chargers at home.
Probably has it's place if your doing some traveling to the lake or maybe tournament fishing and not enough time to charge full at home(motel).

The owner of that was looking for pro staffers and people to try it and advertise it on another site I frequent. I asked him about the fact I only drive 15 minutes to get to the ramp (regardless if it's Lake Mich or the Fox Chain). He told me to save my money and you really need 30 minutes or more to make it worth the money. I don't need to warm my vehicle up for 10 minutes when it is boating season either and certainly am not going to leave the truck running if I stop to get something from a store.

Latest posts