Good Day Fishing Gone Bad

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2go

Reaction score
After seeing this thread. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5000 I thought I would share an embarrassing experience I had about 6 years ago.Up until now, the only people that knew about it, was the girlfriend,the guy from the water company that owns and manages the lake and yours truely.Looking back I can see the humor in it now.The boat was a 16 foot fiberglass jon with a 60's model 9.9 Johnson.Read on and laugh till you cry.

I am almost embarassed :oops: to admit this but it worked for me.I spent the morning busting bluegill.I killed the battery fighting the wind.I finally gave up.I reached back to pull the cord on the old Johnson 9.9.BANG!It back fired and gas started leaking from the carb.Forgot the dang paddle back at the truck.So I am sitting there anchored and looking around to see what I have to McGyver my way out of this situation.Hunger was starting to set in and no one was around.Not many houses on the lake back then.I turned to the front of the boat and there in front of me was the key to my return.The anchor.After an hour of over thinking things.There it was,the anchor.I knew I had to stay close to shore.15 feet or less.This was going to take awhile because I couldn't go straight across the lake.I pulled the broke down outboard up,and pulled up that trusty anchor on 1/2 inch nylon rope.Ahhhh my rusty savior.The anchor I believe is a danforth.It's the one with the 2 triangular spikes on a hinge type thing.I kicked off my boots and took off my pants.Yep,took the pants off.There I was in the boat in my boxer briefs.I tossed the anchor at the shore line.Soon as it hit bottom I give the anchor a tug and slowly started pulling myself towards shore.I couldn't toss the anchor very far.Maybe 10 to 15 feet.Once I got to shore I walked the boat as far as I could,hopped back in and started tossing that anchor again.I did this for roughly a mile and a half.I got around to the ramp, the guy from the water company that owns the lake is there.He is staring at me with a dumbfounded look.He ran down the ramp,ask if I was OK and what happened.I told him and tied the boat up for me while I went into the restroom to redress.He also gave me an emergency phone number and told me what areas were dead areas for cell phones. #-o I forgot all about my cell phone and I was right under a cell tower when I started to head back in.I felt like such a dumb@$$.Even tho I didn't have the emergency number,I could have called many friends to come to my rescue.Anyway.I managed to make it back,safe and sound,with the knowledge that I can save myself,if that situation ever comes up again.I started wearing swim trunks under my pants when I go out in a boat.I also leave the paddle strapped in the boat also.

That is hilarious and awesome. I bet you were tired when you got back to the ramp. You got yourself into a mess and you cleaned it up all by yourself. When things like this happen, sometimes the last thing you think to do is the simplest thing, like calling someone on your cell. Great ingenuity =D> I bet you don't want to do it again though #-o

jkbirocz said:
That is hilarious and awesome. I bet you were tired when you got back to the ramp. You got yourself into a mess and you cleaned it up all by yourself. When things like this happen, sometimes the last thing you think to do is the simplest thing, like calling someone on your cell. Great ingenuity =D> I bet you don't want to do it again though #-o

I hurt for a week after that.My muscles were sore as could be.Felt like I had been beaten all over with a baseball bat.Ibuprofen was my friend every 4 to 6 hours. :LOL2: I wouldn't trade that experience for anything,but I won't be repeating it anytime soon.At least not by choice. :mrgreen: When it was over I felt like an idiot and a winner at the same time.An idiot for forgetting the paddle and a winner for saving my sorry hind end. :LMFAO:

I tried the throw the anchor trick before as well - seemed like such a great idea. I figured that I would twirl the anchor around and heave it like 100 feet in the direction I wanted to go.

Man, I was wrong

Here is my embarrassing almost deadly day.

I was up all night hanging out with buddies tipping a few back. Next day (4-5 hours later) I decide to go fishing by myself. Hook the boat up to the trailer, double check everything :wink: and head to the lake. Then all he** breaks loose. I back the car up to the ramp, fling open the door and start walking back to the truck to unhook the straps. 2 seconds later I get WWF wrestling clothes-lined by my truck door. :shock: So here I am on my knees watching my truck and boat roll into the lake. I quickly jump up and run towards the truck, Jump in the drivers side and with my left hand press on the brakes. I stood there for what seems an eternity and with my right hand reached over and put the truck into park. I was shaking like you would not believe. The first thing I did when I got up was look around hoping no one saw me do this stupid move. Luckily no one was around...Or Was I?

What would of happened if I got clotheslined and knocked underneath my truck? I wonder how long I would of lied there at the ramp before someone came and found me? Would they put two and two together and see a guy on the ground by the ramp and a boat and trailer in the water?

So if you get anything from my day....Always put the truck/car in park before getting out.

Now I think its funny :LOL2:

That is funny, I would never though of using the anchor.

That is one thing for sure, from this point on I rather use the private launch, pay the 2 bucks to launch and keep their phone number. That way if something happens, at least they are there to help. ON the public ramp, you are on your own...

Jim said:
Here is my embarrassing almost deadly day.

I was up all night hanging out with buddies tipping a few back. Next day (4-5 hours later) I decide to go fishing by myself. Hook the boat up to the trailer, double check everything :wink: and head to the lake. Then all he** breaks loose. I back the car up to the ramp, fling open the door and start walking back to the truck to unhook the straps. 2 seconds later I get WWF wrestling clothes-lined by my truck door. :shock: So here I am on my knees watching my truck and boat roll into the lake. I quickly jump up and run towards the truck, Jump in the drivers side and with my left hand press on the brakes. I stood there for what seems an eternity and with my right hand reached over and put the truck into park. I was shaking like you would not believe. The first thing I did when I got up was look around hoping no one saw me do this stupid move. Luckily no one was around...Or Was I?

What would of happened if I got clotheslined and knocked underneath my truck? I wonder how long I would of lied there at the ramp before someone came and found me? Would they put two and two together and see a guy on the ground by the ramp and a boat and trailer in the water?

So if you get anything from my day....Always put the truck/car in park before getting out.

Now I think its funny :LOL2:

Sure glad you didn't get run over. That would have been real scary and if the worse would have happened, you would have been a Darwin Award winner for sure.

I'm too new at boating to have many stories of the embarrassing variety aside from forgetting the boat plug but remembered it as I was about to remove the bow strap. I do have a scary one I'll share though:

When I was like 14-15, I went on a spring White Bass fishing trip with my dad, his friend Bart and his son Mike. Mike and I were classmates in school so it all worked out great. We would drive up to Freemont, WI. And rent a couple of boats to fish the Wolf River, which in the spring can move pretty fast in places. Bart had an outboard motor and my dad borrowed another friends motor. There is no way you can row a boat against that current. So we rent the boats and buy some minnows and get ready to head out. Bart and Mike launch first and head upstream. We push our boat out a bit and dad starts the out board but we must have been a little shallow or hit something and sheared off the shear pin. When he tried to go forward and up stream, we drifted backwards and down stream. For some reason the river forced us to the middle of the current and dad yelled to drop anchor. With only 30 feet of anchor line and the river that fast… it wasn’t holding at all. Down stream we go, getting closer and closer to the bridge. Spring water levels that year were higher than normal and there was only one span you could pass under and we weren’t heading towards that one. Dad tried to row the boat to steer towards it but it wasn’t gonna happen. We got to the bridge and there was less than a foot of clearance where we were. Here’s dad, standing up bracing against the bridge trying to keep us from turning turtle and going under it. (Stupidity note: No life jackets in the boat) After what seemed like an eternity (prolly 10 minutes or less), Bart shows up with their boat. They back towards us and he tossed back a line and I grabbed it. There was nothing to tie it to so I had to hold on to it. Bart starts to pull us and we get like 10 feet from the bridge and I can’t hold on any longer. We drift back into the bridge and when he comes back again he asked for our anchor which was tied to the bow eye that I couldn’t reach from inside the boat. With the anchor in his boat and him standing on it he managed to pull us away from the bridge and out of the main current. Scariest moment of my life. Well, up until I got married that is.
:lol:

Glad to here everyone came out to the good in their unfortunate experiences.Mine was pretty funny.I wasn't in any real danger.There was things that could have went wrong but I have a knack for safety.I should probably be a risk assessment agent. :LOL2:

Here's something that happened to me in July of '07 while a buddy and I were fishing a local watering hole:

I'm sure everyone has heard of Murphy's Law, and it seems he was with me yesterday, lol. We were working some weed beds along the bank and I got snagged pretty good, so I manuevered the boat bow-in towards the snag. It was real shallow to begin with so I got the paddle out and used it to get closer. I was so focused on getting the snag free that I thought I'd laid the paddle on the deck beside me, but actually just laid it on the water (thankgoodness it floats), and I heard Scott saying that the paddle was in the water, and he retrieved it. Continued freeing the snag from the weeds and heard the tm prop hitting the bow (I'd put it in the stow position before going into the shallow stuff). It was making a heck of a racket and I thought it might just bust the blades on the prop, but only scratched the paint on the bow. I'd somehow hit the power switch on the tm peddle and it was engaged (luckily just in speed #1). It's pretty loud when you're laying right next to it, lol ! :shock: . However, as much as I preach safety, it was a dumb move on my part not turning the tm off.

Had a pretty good laugh after it was over, and here are the lessons learned:
1. The wooden paddles will float, but it's better to keep them in the boat with you. :wink:
2. Ensure the tm is turned-off before stowing it and laying next to it.

WW
That reminds of when I went fishing with my boss. After we recovered the boat I reached up to put a bucket with water in it for the catch and set it on the TM foot pedal. My boss had just moved his arm from when the prop would have hit him. Now I put the foot speed control to 0 or unplug it when I recover my boat.

Those dang tm blades are sharp too!

Now I put the foot speed control to 0 or unplug it when I recover my boat.

Whenever I anchor, I turn the dial to 0 speed................just in case.

It must have been the time before last that I took the boat out, that after I got it in the water, beached it, parked the truck, then pushed the boat away from the shore that whenever I used the tm to get away from the ramp that it would surge real fast when ever I stepped on the peddle. Did it a couple more times, and I'm wondering, what the heck was wrong. I looked down at the speed dial and I'd somehow moved the little lever into the "go fast" position, where the immediate speed is "5" I believe #-o . Everytime is an adventure, lol !

We may take the boat out tomorrow if the wind cooperates. I'll let y'all know if I do anything stupid, lol 8-[

flounderhead59 said:
I've had mine in the always on position before and couldn't understand why I was "Drifting" so much

It's due to the all the lead-based haze gray paint we were around..............it made us bonkers, lol
crazy_face.gif

ben2go said:
I kicked off my boots and took off my pants.Yep,took the pants off.There I was in the boat in my boxer briefs.

Did I miss a part where you dove-in.....or were you just feeling a bit "naughty" ?? :mrgreen:

ST

SlimeTime said:
ben2go said:
I kicked off my boots and took off my pants.Yep,took the pants off.There I was in the boat in my boxer briefs.

Did I miss a part where you dove-in.....or were you just feeling a bit "naughty" ?? :mrgreen:

ST

I didn't say I got out of the boat.I said I walked the boat around the shore.I figured everyone would catch on. :? :lol:

Latest posts