Shad Obsession (article)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People really eat shad?The shad I saw would just tick me off trying to eat one, because they are so small.I need a hundred or so to fill me up.I ain't never smelled warm rotting shad,but that would prolly turn my stomach before I even got to eat one.

ben2go said:
People really eat shad?The shad I saw would just tick me off trying to eat one, because they are so small.I need a hundred or so to fill me up.I ain't never smelled warm rotting shad,but that would prolly turn my stomach before I even got to eat one.

The shad we catch (American Shad) get to about 10 lbs each.

Still, way to boney for me

Here is some TinBoat shad last spring

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2943&hilit=shad

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2799&hilit=shad

Thanks Mr. WW, Lambertville has always been known for its shad runs, I didnt realize they got into it that much, but than I'm not a Lambertonian.

:shock: The biggest shad I seen here in SC was about 6 inches long and slim.Do they get that big naturally or is it something in their enviroment that allows them to get bigger than normal?Something like the lack of predator fish eating them.

In different regions people call several fish related to shad - "Shad" you might be thinking of herrings, alewives, menhaden of sardines - al lin the same family but none of which get as large as the American or Hickory shad.

SC has a really good shad run each spring in several rivers, specifically the Columbia. I know a few guys locally who drive to SC in the spring to get in on your great shad fishing. And, yes they are catching the big American Shad (we call them Bucks and Roes)

The SC record American Shad is 7 lbs from the Santee River

i know there are bigger ones there - go get them!

The shad up here,come in from the ocean April to July.They spawn off,catch them in the 2-5lbs range,using shad darts...kinda look like mackeral jigs.

Latest posts