trot lines

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
I got the stuff to make a few, but I have a couple questions.

I am trying to decide what bait to use that will stay on the hooks. I generally use liver for cats, but you need to change it out after about 20 minutes. And it won't stay on hooks well. Any suggestions?

My other dilemma, is the river I want to put it in is only accessible by canoe or kayak, neither of which I have. Is there a reasonably safe way to put it out by wading?

Stew beef, shad, 'gill (if legal in your state) are a few. Have you considered a float tube?

That said, and not looking to start an argument/debate.....I hope those who run lines, or noodle (which isn't legal in many states) use CPR method on some of their fish, especially the large ones. It takes decades to grow large, and there are plenty of smaller "eaters". I don't have a problem with anyone enjoying their sport, as long as they remain within the boundaries of the laws. Large fish can bring the joy, excitement, and bragging-rights to alot of sportsmen & women, but only if they're released........... :wink:

ST

I completely agree about the big ones ST. I just want to get a few eaters at a time so I can clean them all at once.
I could try a tube or perhaps make some sort of small raft.

make some throw lines or limblines do it from the bank just check you local laws check this site out it could answer your guestions just scroll down to catfish discussion then go to alternative methods of catching catfish https://www.catfish1.com/forums/index.php

Ben's(my) secret dough ball recipe is still for sale.Asking price is $1,000,000. :mrgreen:

How far out are you planning to run the lines?If the water isn't to swift you could get one of those cheap inflatables from Box Mart.Check this thread out on how a guy made a cheap inflatable into a ridgid inflatable. https://robbmoffett.googlepages.com/$18walmartinflatableboat,plushomebuiltfl He has other good stuff on his site also.

ended up making a limb line I am gonna try out. It is slightly different than the typical lines most use in that it is modular. I am gonna see if the clips hold up and if they do I'll make more hook ends.

SlimeTime said:
That said, and not looking to start an argument/debate.....I hope those who run lines, or noodle (which isn't legal in many states) use CPR method on some of their fish, especially the large ones. It takes decades to grow large, and there are plenty of smaller "eaters". I don't have a problem with anyone enjoying their sport, as long as they remain within the boundaries of the laws. Large fish can bring the joy, excitement, and bragging-rights to alot of sportsmen & women, but only if they're released........... :wink:

I am not trying to start one either but I have to question why this was even included if you didn't want to start some sort of discourse about it.

Whatever people do with their legally acquired fish is their business. People that share a passion for the same sport beating each other over the head with their take on the ethics of it are what the PETA types have come to rely on. They take great delight in watching us devour one another. The same happens with hunting.

Quackrstackr said:
I am not trying to start one either but I have to question why this was even included if you didn't want to start some sort of discourse about it.

Whatever people do with their legally acquired fish is their business. People that share a passion for the same sport beating each other over the head with their take on the ethics of it are what the PETA types have come to rely on. They take great delight in watching us devour one another. The same happens with hunting.

Because I have a right to do so.........

And you're correct, but they also need to use their heads when it comes to conservation. I guess the commercial fishing which sucks the life out of large catfish populations is OK too? Are you feeling like you were "beat over the head" by my opinion? lol.....yeah, I'm a PETA member :roll:

Kill all the large fish you legally can......then complain when they're gone..........

ST

I release 90% of the fish that I catch when noodling but I won't preemptively call someone else out on keeping whatever they want. :wink:

SW, people use everything from shad to hot dogs to shrimp to chunks of Ivory soap on trot lines here. I've also heard an old commercial fisherman talking about putting nightcrawlers on the hooks and then letting the line lay out in the sun for a day before placing it in the water. The commercial fishermen in these parts are begging people to keep whatever catfish they catch because they are becoming overpopulated and are starting to take a toll on the rest of the fish species in our large lakes.

We will use 3" to 4" bluegill or pumkinseed as live bait on limblines in the spring.

Quackrstackr said:
I release 90% of the fish that I catch when noodling but I won't preemptively call someone else out on keeping whatever they want. :wink:

Could we possibly be a little more dramatic :roll:

You weren't "called out".....you wanted to interject things into my post that weren't inferred. Geez........... :roll:

ST

Didn't have to do with the topic, I don't care for having my words twisted.........

ST

Latest posts