Durafix?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
Has anyone looked into using this?

https://durafix.com/demo/256.html?motr.6

I checked the website, this business is not far from me and I think I've seen him set up at tractor shows & flea markets around here. This isn't welding, it's brazing. Any welder out there will weld it, not braze it if he can help it. It probably has some uses but for me I'll pass. I'm not dissing this product cause I haven't tried it, but be aware that if you braze something and it doesn't hold, you've filled that joint with all kinds of impurities and you won't be able to fix it properly with a weld easily at all. All the brazing I've done has been with copper alloys, this is closely related to plumber's solder (tin,lead, zinc,?).

And he doesn't have the beer can trick right, it goes something like this: 1)open and drink the beer 2) fold the tab closed again and weld shut 3) put can back in fridge for the next guy to wonder why this happened to him.

bought them myself, they are not cheap, I paid like $45 bucks for a pack.

It workes BUT, notice he always demonstrates on flat surfaces????? yes its for a reason-it will run on you so vertical is next to impossible. well then to top it off I found the same kind of rods at RURAL KING at under $20 bucks and they work the same :roll: #-o

So check there first(rural king), my feed back for your gain :)

:-k I've seen a lot of welding done in the Navy, ie., stick, tig, mig, hp, silver brazing, etc., and I'm sure the Durafix would be handy for small projects, but still not sure about it.

If you notice in the frame of the last video, there's a Navy (yellow) battle lantern sitting in the background. :-k

FishFry said:
I checked the website, this business is not far from me and I think I've seen him set up at tractor shows & flea markets around here. This isn't welding, it's brazing. Any welder out there will weld it, not braze it if he can help it. It probably has some uses but for me I'll pass. I'm not dissing this product cause I haven't tried it, but be aware that if you braze something and it doesn't hold, you've filled that joint with all kinds of impurities and you won't be able to fix it properly with a weld easily at all. All the brazing I've done has been with copper alloys, this is closely related to plumber's solder (tin,lead, zinc,?).

And he doesn't have the beer can trick right, it goes something like this: 1)open and drink the beer 2) fold the tab closed again and weld shut 3) put can back in fridge for the next guy to wonder why this happened to him.

Yea that cat is located in Taylors,SC and lives in Greer,SC.He is just across town from me.The product does what it says but I think I would trust a true weld myself.

Obviously I don't know jack about welding or anything like that. This just looked really easy. I guess the old saying holds true here. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

So is welding aluminum easy to do, or is it probably not a good place for a beginner to start?

Not being a welder but have worked with some. Welding is a practiced skill bordering on an artform. I wouldn't think aluminum is the place for a beginner to start. But like was previously mentioned, that was not welding. Just because you attach 2 pieces of metal together doesn't mean they were welded. What he was doing is infact brazing. Now that I can do. Or at least I could many years ago.

rob said:
Obviously I don't know jack about welding or anything like that. This just looked really easy. I guess the old saying holds true here. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

So is welding aluminum easy to do, or is it probably not a good place for a beginner to start?

I consider it more of an art.I did a little mig welding on thin aluminum sheet.Not a good idea.Worked but it was ugly.Tig with a water cooler torch is the way to go on thin sheet metal.I wouldn't consider it a beginners area.Aluminum is really easy to blow holes in if it's over heated.If you can get scrap and practice on that to get used to the heat settings for a given thickness.I'm sure you can do it with a little practice and the correct equipment.

Latest posts