Chevy dealerships closing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
Just found out today abunch of Bill Herd chevy dealerships closed down from texas to louisianna. They were 20 percent of the chevy sales in the country. Kinda make me nerves as our dealerships been getting slower and slower. How are all the rest of the mechanics on the board making out?

Things are not looking good...!

My new fishing body that I met last week, he was a mechanic at a local Chrysler / Cadillac dealer that just closed, after working the for a very long time, now he is fishing at the lake without a job...

What is next.... What a mess....

There's been 3 dealerships (maybe 4?) closed locally in the last 2 years or less, last one being this week. You'd have to think manufacturers might have considered making more fuel-efficient cars, as opposed to gas-guzzling trucks & SUV's.

ST

thats true. 2 years ago our dealship primarily sold trucks, now the lots full of hhr's and malibu's. kinda crazy. I think more people would be driving hybrids, but when you look at the price tag on them, then find out in 5 years your going to have to buy a new $3k + battery for it, they're not really saving much money so they go with the cheaper gas vehicle

Two dealers in this area closed this week.Bill Heard and Courtesy Pontiac closed theirs in this area.I work on tractor trailers so it has not affected me yet but it sure is scary.

Loggerhead Mike said:
Just found out today abunch of Bill Herd chevy dealerships closed down from texas to louisianna. They were 20 percent of the chevy sales in the country. Kinda make me nerves as our dealerships been getting slower and slower. How are all the rest of the mechanics on the board making out?

what was it that did them in? the Hurricans?

Our glass supplier PPG had its texas branch shut down becuase of the HC, That one was needed cause they have three more and two of them was shut down for maintenance reasons, it killed our glass supply, not to mention the other glass supply'ers price gouged the industry when we needed them the most, PPG is a very huge glass supplyer in the window industry.

we have to raise our price 5% per window due to the price gouge from the other glass supplyer's, one is Guardian glass. you won't hear about this on FOX news. This is enough to take out some window fabricators :(

My oldest son just bought his first new car from our local Bill Heard dealership about two months ago!

The news this morning said that their large inventory of trucks and SUV's was a big factor in their undoing.

Mark

Our local Ford dealer is packed with F250 Heavy Duty that are just collecting dust in the parking lot, no body wants it.

They were one of our big sponsors for the local town festival, I went to visit them this year for sponsorship, they said the
previously owner sold the dealer just in time or just got out of it, now GM is scrambling their heads to find someone else to run the dealer, it is so sad to see the faces on those people who work there.

We were thinking to get a new car for my wife, we are on standby with that idea, but when we do it will definitely be an American made car, either a Focus or one of those Saturn hatch back.

That will be one more American car out on the road.

Got to stick together.

Do you guys remember the "gas crisis" of the 70's? Shortages, rationing, lines at the pumps, "no gas".......well, what happened to those days? If there was a "crisis", we've had 35 years worth of gas since, why didn't manufacturers start mass-producing 30 mpg + cars then? Because much like the 70's, the whole thing is a farse. There's loads of oil & it's been proven. You're just being bent-over the tank, plain & simple. "Supply & demand", refinery "problems", "peak oil", price speculators...........all hogwash to rob you.

Perhaps if they'd ship the 25 million or so illegals out of the US, our consumption would drop as well as the job situation improve :roll:
ST

Perhaps if they'd ship the 25 million or so illegals out of the US, our consumption would drop as well as the job situation improve :roll:
ST[/quote]
if they ship them to irag and make them earn there citizenship they wouldnt be that many =D>

Do you guys remember the "gas crisis" of the 70's? Shortages, rationing, lines at the pumps, "no gas".......well, what happened to those days? If there was a "crisis", we've had 35 years worth of gas since, why didn't manufacturers start mass-producing 30 mpg + cars then? Because much like the 70's, the whole thing is a farse. There's loads of oil & it's been proven. You're just being bent-over the tank, plain & simple. "Supply & demand", refinery "problems", "peak oil", price speculators...........all hogwash to rob you.

exactly what it is. in my little town its like Y2K all over again. people are freakin out, everyones headin to the pumps with gas cans, fuel spraying out of there caps because there trying to fit every drop in. i dont know why people cant understand they're bringing this on themselves. if everybody boycotted the gas stations for 2 days, gas would go way down. way way way down. but hey, atleast aig insurance is gonna get bailed out because they dont have the money, even though they're giving the executives got a 17 million dollar retirement bonus [-X im glad my tax's are well spent

what was it that did them in? the Hurricans?

nobodys buying cars, and nobodys maintaining there cars right now. hell if i had to pay the high shop prices for somebody to work on my car I wouldnt be eather, so i cant blame um...

I took my Ford Escape in for the 5th time last week for a short in the driver's seat / electric door lock circuit. 5 times in just about a year. It first started when the thing was 1000 miles out of warranty. Until I demanded that the thing be fixed properly last week, I had not been billed one dime for whatever it was that they were doing. Since it kept reoccuring, I have no idea what they had been doing. Some designer decided that since it had electric locks, it only needed one key entry point. Not a smart move on an SUV when those electronic locks quit functioning (and I will never have another vehicle with power seats if I can help it.. what is the point?).

They found a rubbed wire causing the short and replaced a short piece of it. I took it in one morning and they called me the middle of the next day telling me to come and get it.

I got a bill in the mail last Friday for the fix: $6 for a piece of wire, 2 connectors and some harness wrap. $625 dollars for labor and "environmental fees". :shock: :x

Over my dead body.

I was waiting on them at 7:15 Monday morning when the first person arrived at the dealership. They are now trying to get Ford to reimburse them for what they are trying to charge me. I told them good luck with that but I wasn't giving them that kind of money for something that should have been fixed a year ago and wound up taking less than a day and 6" of wire to fix.

There's no wonder these dealerships are going out of business. They are so bloated from gouging people for so long that when the customers finally say enough is enough, they have no backup plan other than to just shut the doors.

and I will never have another vehicle with power seats if I can help it.. what is the point?).

me eather. i work on them enough, when i finially baught a new truck silverado months ago, i made sure it was plane jane. good ole elbo grease to move the seats and winders

As far as your truck. sounds like they had some d-a chasing the short all day long (hence adding up the labor hours). thats pretty rediculious. for one thing, they should have soldierd the wires and put heat shrink over it, and routed it so it wouldnt rub. If we have an elec. short, we get paid flat rate, probably no more than an hour or 2, and if it takes all day to find it, well your just s.o.l. and lost a day pay. sorry to here your bad luck. get'cha a heavy chevy :mrgreen: i wouldnt go back to that dealership. For anybodys sake, if you have car problems and short on cash, go in the shop and ask the mechs if they do sidework. most mechanics have shops at there house and are more than happy to do something on the weekend (out of your 600 dollar bill, the mechanic probably got paid 40)