More "tinkering"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
A recent anchor discussion made me want to try & make my own as an "experiment". I ran across a 28" piece of heavy-wall (1/4") 3" pipe, so I cut it in half, welded a large washer on the bottom (left the hole for drainage), added some "legs & diggers", then filled the pipe with scrap 1/2" rebar until I hit the 18 pound mark. The 12 pounders I have didn't hold my boat as well as I'd like. I think it's 12-13" diameter all together. I'm anxious to see how it works before I make a 2nd one.

Top view:
anch-t.jpg

Side:
anch-s.jpg

After fishing at a pond the other day, and setting on an open 5 gallon bucket I took to carry a Plano box with bobbers, stops, hooks, split-shots, and pliers....my butt was a little sore to sat the least.

I didn't want to go buy a padded-lid bucket, heck anyone can do that :p , so I made one. I traced the top of the bucket onto a piece of 3/4" plywood & cut it out. We can no longer use boat cushions here as flotation devices, so I cut one up for the stuffing. I used the bag I got with an old boat cover, since it's round & close to the same size as the lid I just made, put some stuffing in it, and stapled & trimmed it to the lid. I cut a 2nd piece of plywood that fit inside the bucket, and screwed it to the bottom of the lid. This will help retain the material, as well as keep the lid centered on the bucket.

I bolted a small piece of 1" PVC to the side of the bucket for my small spinning rig to fit into. I took a D-ring, welded it to a flat washer & bolted it to one of the rod holder bolts, to hold my needle-nose pliers.

I can carry my cricket cage, a Plano Box of extra tackle, a towel & my pliers, and have plenty of room left for an ice pack, a sammich & a pop or 2. Setting on it is a whole-bunch more comfy than just the rim of the bucket. And I plan on putting it to the test tomorrow when I go back to the pond to feed 'em the rest of the crickets I have left.

ST

fishbkt-1.jpg

fishbkt-2.jpg

Dood, that anchor almost looks like some sort of bathyspheric, ocean bottom sampling device thingy. If you angled the fins and put a swivel on it, it would spin on the way up and clean off all the mud too.

Nice work on the anchor and the bucket seat! 8) . Due to my safety background :roll: you might want to think about cutting a nice radius on the ends of the "diggers", and eliminate the sharp corners. Just a thought :)

lol, FH if I did that, I'd have to put a large trebel hook on it & paint eyes on the top to make a spinner-bait out of it :p

I thought about radiusing the corners, but thought they might help dig-in in harder (gravel) bottoms. I'm actually intending to find a bucket or tub it'll set into if it holds well, I don't want it rolling around on the deck :shock:

Thanks guys, I'll be sure & let you all know how it works after I get the chance to use it. Dad & I have plans for next Thursday, but looks like 25-30% chance of rain all next week :roll: , hopefully it'll clear-off....or I can talk dad into going anyway....I got extra raingear :wink: Temps are supposed to drop into the mid-60's for highs next week too.

ST

I think this kind of stuff is great! this is why I love coming here - to come up projects made from ordinary stuff.

Just wanted to say I used the anchor today, it would hold (by itsself) where 2-12 pounders wouldn't. I about smootched-the-pooch when I dropped it right into a submerged treetop once. Fortunately pulling fron a different angle dislodged it (which is why I added the upper rebar on the legs, as "deflectors" for anything other than mud & rock.

ST

have you thought about welding a bar from the front to the back with a ring you can hook your chain to that way if you get it stuck you can pull it the opposite way to get it unstuck

dedawg1149 said:
have you thought about welding a bar from the front to the back with a ring you can hook your chain to that way if you get it stuck you can pull it the opposite way to get it unstuck

lol....I'm a redneck engineer.....not a genius :p Good idea.....if I ever lose this one, I'll add it to the next, then again....it's gonna be a long winter, so it may get added to this one.

ST

Latest posts