What do you look for

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
on signs to go fishing??

Thought it be kinda fun to see some of the old wise tells on this.

1. my dad has told me to watch the cows, of they are up grazen grab your pole.(or was it the opposite?)

The only signs that I need are a comfortable temperature and a lack of any projects that need to be done around the house. :lol:

Quackrstackr said:
The only signs that I need are a comfortable temperature and a lack of any projects that need to be done around the house. :lol:

I am with you except for the temperature thing - anytime, anyplace point me towards some water

So far as signs, I have always heard that if the cattle are grazing, the fish are biting. If the cattle are bedded in the field, you may as well stay at home.

I've also heard:

Wind from the west, fish bite the best.
Wind from the east, fish bite the least.
Wind from the north, fishermen need not go forth.
Wind from the south, hook 'em in the mouth.

Your actual results may vary. :mrgreen:

I was told the best time to cat fish is when the moon has a halo around it,caused by moister in the air.I was also told that if the moon has a halo, it's best to fish in the early morning.No species was specified on this one.

How about...............

"A bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work" :wink:

ST

Myself, I fish to be fishing. It's therapy for me. I'm not so worried about the catching. That's just the added bonus.

That's the main reason I've never kept any kind of log on weather conditions, water conditions, cattle or anything else. While growing up I'd beg my grandfather to take me fishing...he'd look out the window at the cows and say "Not today son. See those cows layin' down, chewin' their cud?". Even worse was that stupid barometer hanging on the wall. :roll: Man, I hated that thing and I put a BB in those cows' backsides every chance I got! :LMFAO: It was just a old lever action Daisy anyway...just enough to get 'em to stand up. :mrgreen:

I have several wind, wave and weather sites I go to. I don't fish in the rain (because I don't want to) and if the wind is from the east I'll check the Lake Michigan wave forecast. If it is too rough, I'm heading to the Fox Chain. Never did know anything about looking at wild life to determine fishable days. Dad did say when the Lilacs are blooming it's time to go to the Wolf River in Wiscoland for White Bass. But that is a time frame and not a specific day thing.

I guess there is one visual cue I look for in the spring for white bass. When the Redbud trees here in OK are in full bloom it's a signal of the spawning runs upstream. It's some of my favorite fishing too. Small river or tributary above a lake with chest waders, a light action spinning outfit and a pocket full of jigs. Good times.

Greg said:
Myself, I fish to be fishing. It's therapy for me...

Absolutely! Standing on the bank or sitting in the boat, I can feel the stress disappear.
thumbsup_smilie.gif

Waterwings said:
Greg said:
Myself, I fish to be fishing. It's therapy for me...

Absolutely! Standing on the bank or sitting in the boat, I can feel the stress disappear.
thumbsup_smilie.gif

Absotively, Posilutely concur with that. Wife sometimes wonders how I can be enjoying myself, trolling on Lake Michigan for 5 hours and not have a hit. Women...

I always thought it was When the cows are standing and thers no grass on the lip, sneak up on the cow,give him a tip and watch out you dont slip :sick: . Three to five days before and after a full moon.

Latest posts