Goin' shoppin' tonight

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
Dad & I have plans set to go fishing (crappie) this Thursday. He's got a #35 TM that I used last time Stumpknocker & I went, but it just hasn't got the power to push the boat very well. I've been looking for a good used TM (lol, see my "Holy Grail" post) but have pretty much come to the realization that it ain't gonna happen. So I'd like to get something before Thursday.

Well, I just sold a couple tools I can't use anymore, and called my sister to see if she wanted to run to Indy after she gets off work. I told her my selling some tools was a "sign" to go buy a new TM :wink: Not exactly sure what I'll some home with.....so it'll be a surprise for me too, hopefully they'll have a few in stock.

If I buy tonight, I'll be sure & post all the deals which will be flooding the internet & local papers over the next several days #-o

lol
ST

Well, just got home.....I made the mistakes of stopping at Dicks Sporting goods, since there's a new one 1/2 the distance (and on the way) to Gander Mountain. I swore I'd never shop there again, but thought what the heck. They had 3 little transom mounts in stock, that was it :roll:
So, I reaffirmed my vow to never shop there again, and continued on to Gander...... here's what I bought, $513 with tax.
https://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=36699&pdesc=Minn_Kota_PowerDrive_V2_Trolling_Motor&r=view&from=grid

Good thing is, since it isn't cable steering, I can operate the foot-pad from the rear of the boat via the long (18' I think) cable, so I passed on the remote control for time being, but can purchase it later down the road if I choose.

Hopefully the rain will hold-off tomorrow long enough to get it mounted for Thursdays "crappie-fest" :mrgreen:

ST

I have just gotten into crappie fishing myself here, so I am going to hijack your post if you don't mind. What sort of crappie fishing do you do - long line trolling, spider rigging, jigging, or do you just throw a whole bunch of minnows over the side in various places?

i longline troll,pushjigs ,pulljigs ,troll crank baits,it just depends on time of year and how they are stagging,i am also trying to figure out alabama crappie i have fish fl all my life i had it down to a science me and my buddy has had alot of two hundred plus fish nights

Will do on the pics. I'm hoping it's a good'n. Actually, dads #35 didn't do terrible, better than I thought it would....so an extra #20 of thrust should be fine.

BB- we have a 3 rod limit in Indiana, so spider-rigging is out (lol, at least with more than 3 rods). We have both black & white crappie, and I mostly have just used a slip-float with minnows, generally around structure (mostly wood). I made a post directed to SVNET with a couple links containing some good crappie info. I'm going to expand the arsenal with a couple Wally Marshall jigging rods soon, and give vertical jigging a go. I've not done much artificial bait fishing for crappie, but have caught several off small spinners, like Beetle Spins.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some dry weather tomorrow, shouldn't take too long to get it mounted.

ST

dedawg1149 said:
i dont know if he was talking to you or me?but i know my 54 lb thrust trolling motor pushes my tracker good

lol.....doesn't matter :wink: I'll definitely give a "report" on how the motor does. I'm considering adding a 2nd battery for it (tying 2 together). If I recall your's is a 17' or 17.5'...so if you're happy with yours, I should be too.

ST

Maybe I won't have to then. lol, I'll know more after Thursday. But I'm afraid on the TM lakes only it may not last as long as I'd need it to (since I marathon fish :mrgreen: )

ST

Good luck with the TM and fishing with Pops, My buddy carried two TM in his boat, he had them hooked up to a switch so if one went down all he had to do was turn the knob, he altinated between batteries on each trip.

Good to hear you got a new Tm, on a side note if you dont fish for crappie with artificials much, you might want to try some slider grubs, might make you start using artificial baits more often. I dont do much crappie fishin anymore, but those things kill em.

DD- We have some lakes where they actually limit battery voltage to 12 volts :roll:

Shamoo- If I didn't have a gas motor I might consider it myself :mrgreen: I had a 2-man bass buggy & had 2 TM's on it.

Slim- I actually picked-up a dz. jigs when I went to go get a plug for the TM wiring. I've already got lots, as well as tube jigs, just always been a minnow user. That's fixing to change though.

Well, got the TM mounted today. Had to get some longer SS bolts, and countersink the bolts for the bow-cap alittle (to keep from having to shim the mount up/off the cap), then buy plugs for the connection. Boat already had one, but I just replaced them both. The lock on the bottom of the shaft (right above the motor) seems pretty good, I kinda like the idea), but I still may make a travel/road mount for the upper end of the shaft.

ST
TM-1.jpg

TM-2.jpg

that looks good i would though make a travel/road mount for the upper end of the shaft just for saftey,as far as minnows go just dont buy any if you are solely wanting to fish with plastic,i know it is hard but after a while you will like jig fishing. just remember sometimes they will only bite a jig if it is tip with a minnow .a hot bait now is the panfish assasin, 1.5in. tiny shad,electric chicken in color

I used to have one of those gawshawful powerdrives (you probably will like it - the only fishing I did back when I had it was tournament style bass fishing, and they just don't fit that well). I never thought the head needed a support. There is very little weight up there, so I feel that a support would be just a whole bunch of extra trouble.

The only real crappie fishing I have ever really been acquainted with was dropping minners off the sides in deep water under a bridge at night. Been talking to a friend at school who crappie fishes, and am starting to become interested in it, so I ended up joining crappie.com. Now, I am overwhelmed. It is a lot more extensive than just dunking minners under a bridge - spider rigging, long line trolling, jig casting, dock shooting. Well, needless to say, I am hooked, and now have all the materials accumulated to make rod holders in various places around the boat for single rods, spider rigs, and a long line trolling spread (was setting all that up for striper fishing, but added the spider rigs, and a few other changes for crappie). Now I am a bit overwhelmed reading a lot of the back pages of that site. :shock: :shock:

dedawg, if you are ever in the area and want to show me the ropes, I am more than willing to accept. :D I have a nice boat, setup for crappie fishing, but no tackle, or better yet, skills. :D :cry: :shock: :lol:

Congrats on the trolling motor purchase. I couldn't imagine having a 35 on the boat that size. I would stick to trolling with the outboard if that is what I had.

Thanks all!

DD_ I don't think I'd ever give-up minnows 100% :shock: :lol: I'll probably keep at least 1 out, under a bobber while I float a jig as well. At least until I became more proficient & confident with jigs. I like catching fish, even the dinks, lol.

BB- I forgot to mention, I only had to drill 1-hole for the install, as the boat had a TM on it at one time or another. It took me a few minutes to situate the motor for the best fit, and evidently when it was all said & done, and I was happy with the placement, I found the previously drilled holes.

I agree, the mount for this style boat isn't the best. Nothing wrong with it, but a longer & narrower mount (like a Motor Guide) would have fit a little better I think. There's a small rubber bumper on the gunwale, under where the head sets when stowed. It was there before. Not sure why, but it could be removed & the existing hole used for a small stabilizing mount. I'm just more concerned about 48" of "bounce" on the shaft while on the road. lol....some of us have to deal with poor road conditions from freeze/thaw that comes with winter, ice, and snow :p

Be sure & post pics of your rod holders when you get 'em done. I've got a rod bender & ring roller, and still plan to make some, but I want to fish the boat for a while to get a feel for the best positioning. I'll probably end-up making something similar to the Driftmaster style.

Yeah, the #35 was a bit on the weak-side for my boat, but it did the job the 1 time I used it, and honestly did much better than I'd expected. As far as trolling, that's not something I do much of either. Do a little drifting now & then, but I pretty much either use the TM to stay on-spot, or just anchor & fish until the bite slows (or I feel it's an non-productive spot).

Good luck with the crappie fishing :wink:

ST

Latest posts