Need computer help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
:roll: Dad decided to plug-in an old piece of crap electric heater, which I'd told him 100 times NOT to use (and after I just finished with it, it won't be a problem again).

He knocked the power-out in most of the house, which cost him $150 for a new 100 amp Push-Matic main breaker, and my putting it in. Of course, during this time, I was on the internet & now my computer quit working (won't power-on) and my TV is "screetching".

I tried unplugging it for several minutes, but no luck :roll: Am I screwed?

Thanks
ST

Try this - in the back of the unit there is usually a small switch near the female end of the power cord. Plug in the PC and flip that switch then try to turn it on. Flip the switch back and try again - it might power up.

If not, you fried your power supply unit - they are not that expensive and an easy install

Captain Ahab said:
Try this - in the back of the unit there is usually a small switch near the female end of the power cord. Plug in the PC and flip that switch then try to turn it on. Flip the switch back and try again - it might power up.

If not, you fried your power supply unit - they are not that expensive and an easy install

Mine doesn't have one, just a dual voltage switch (115/230v) that wasn't moved. Thanks for the advice......but sounds like it's fried. Just tried toturn it on again.....and nothing #-o

ST

May be a stupid question here....but it isn't plugged into a surge protector is it? If so, That could just need switched back over.

Your computer does have a power supply, its not actually a "power supply" but just what regulates the power through the pc. What Capt' is saying is that you can get a new power supply unit for pretty cheap, replace that in your tower and you should be good to go.

SlimeTime said:
Captain Ahab said:

Mine doesn't have one, just a dual voltage switch (115/230v) that wasn't moved. Thanks for the advice......but sounds like it's fried. Just tried toturn it on again.....and nothing #-o

ST

Did you have any type of surge protector between the computer and the wall outlet ?? If not, you likely fried the power supply or motherboard. As Dave said, the power supply is cheap and repalcing it is simple. The motherboard ..... do you need an anchor or mooring for your boat ??

I just took it apart, the "box" that the power cord plugs into smells burnt. Unless the complete box comes as a unit, there's no way I'd attempt to replace just the board.....too many wires go too many places, and I don't do well on small things.

I do have it plugged into a surge protector, everything else works, including the monitor. Looks like I'm hosed #-o Of course my PC has extra media ports, so pics were just a matter of plugging the card into my PC & uploading them.

ST

SlimeTime said:
I just took it apart, the "box" that the power cord plugs into smells burnt. Unless the complete box comes as a unit, there's no way I'd attempt to replace just the board.....too many wires go too many places, and I don't do well on small things.

I do have it plugged into a surge protector, everything else works, including the monitor. Looks like I'm hosed #-o Of course my PC has extra media ports, so pics were just a matter of plugging the card into my PC & uploading them.

ST

If it smells burnt, I'd say you probably have burnt up the power supply. And the power supply does just come out as a whole....you just gotta take your cover off and unplug everything that connects to that "box", take it to your local PC shop(wherever works on pcs) tell them you need a replacement and then you just re-plug and play. I've honestly never done it before, but i've seen it done and I don't think its too big of a deal, considering it is just the power supply.

What type of PC is it? as others stated the power supply is a minor fix and is in place to distribute power and also as protection agaisnt frying the motherboard, ofcourse its still possible to ruin both. the burnt smell will indeed be the PS, most newer pc's have color coded wires for easy replacement, but the PS has different connectors at the end of the wires depending on the component they power, so its obvious where they belong. If you attemp this yourself you need to be aware of static electricity from your hands that can destroy the delicate capacitors and components within the box, they make anti-static wrist bands for PC repair or simply touch a metal surface and stay grounded before you go handling the parts.

I have been a Network Engineer (MCSE) for 10 years with A+ certification (hardware repair) all of those 10. Never thought a PC problem would be on a boating forum, but hey were talking my specialty now.

smoody said:
What type of PC is it? as others stated the power supply is a minor fix and is in place to distribute power and also as protection agaisnt frying the motherboard, ofcourse its still possible to ruin both. the burnt smell will indeed be the PS, most newer pc's have color coded wires for easy replacement, but the PS has different connectors at the end of the wires depending on the component they power, so its obvious where they belong. If you attemp this yourself you need to be aware of static electricity from your hands that can destroy the delicate capacitors and components within the box, they make anti-static wrist bands for PC repair or simply touch a metal surface and stay grounded before you go handling the parts.

I have been a Network Engineer (MCSE) for 10 years with A+ certification (hardware repair) all of those 10. Never thought a PC problem would be on a boating forum, but hey were talking my specialty now.

I started IT as an MCSE back in the day! :beer:

BassAddict said:
unless your cpu/ motherboard is fried, then your hosed...................

Not necessarily.

If it is a fairly new computer and worthy of fixing, a new motherboard is one heck of a lot cheaper to have replaced than buying a whole new computer.

We went on vacation last year and I forgot to unplug the computer even though it was plugged into a surge protector. I tried to fire it up when we came home and it was toast, both the ps and the mb. I had the both of them replaced for a fraction of what a new system would cost me and I didn't lose any data.

smoody said:
I started IT as an MCSE back in the day!

Jim, are you still in the industry? I just completed my 2007 courses, work pays for the upgrade :D

Yup! but now I do Consulting/Engineering. I work with a product called NETIQ, for a small consulting company.

I'm also studying (slowly for my CCNA cert) I like networking...routers, switches, firewalls.

Yup! but now I do Consulting/Engineering. I work with a product called NETIQ, for a small consulting company.

I'm also studying (slowly for my CCNA cert) I like networking...routers, switches, firewalls.

neat, we have lots in common, I mainly am a network admin for insurance agency but I get to delegate more common admin duties now and my focus is on security and data backup.

FYI - I got your email earlier you sent to all members about changing hosting? Who are you using now? I also have a 2 year degree in Graphic/Web Design and can help you out with graphics and such if needed.

Lastly, did you start this site yourself?

I thank everyone for the help & advice. It was an E-Machines, not top of the line by any means, but was perfect for all I do (email & pics). I got it about 2003 (ish).

I just went & bought a laptop.....Toshiba Satellite. I'm not real happy with the fact that I didn't really have the funds to buy one, and had to spend my winter living money to do it, but not much I can do about it now.

I said if my old one ever took a dump, I'd get a laptop.....just didn't expect to have to do it so soon, or for a reason that caused mine to fry. I love dad.......but sometimes he makes me have to go outside for a smoke :(

Thanks again for the help......but it's all water under the bridge now......
ST

Captain Ahab said:
OMG - are we having a comput-O geek convention????

Fix this members computer!
lol.....atleast we know who the nerds are now :mrgreen:

Just kiddin' guys :wink:

ST

Quackrstackr said:
BassAddict said:
unless your cpu/ motherboard is fried, then your hosed...................

Not necessarily.

If it is a fairly new computer and worthy of fixing, a new motherboard is one heck of a lot cheaper to have replaced than buying a whole new computer.

This is true, but I was more talking in terms of haveing to replace a power supply (which almost anyone can do) versus replaceing a mb/ps which is a little more involved.

smoody said:
I also have a 2 year degree in Graphic/Web Design and can help you out with graphics and such if needed.

Smoody I could use help on mine if your intrested, bad part Is I cant even get close to paying you what your worth, basically youll be working for baits. That and im a pain in the butt to work for which im sure bubba will aggree with.

Latest posts