Cold/Wet Weather Gear?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
I know some people opt. to just stay in during the winter in nasty weather, but there are some of you guys i'm sure that brave the weather and choose to fish anyways. So when you do this, What do you use to stay warm? I'm looking to buy me a good set of either overalls or a bibs/parka combo. I want it to be insulated to keep me plenty warm, and waterproof from the rain/snow. I think i'm kinda leaning towards bibs and a parka because I am kinda hot natured and I think having a thick set of overalls while i'm fishing, I still may get a little too warm and I could just remove the parka and keep the bibs on. My upper body doesn't get nearly as cold as my legs tend to. So anyways, I'm looking for suggestions. What do you guys wear?

i got some older thick neoprin waders i use in the winter when the daddy trout come up the rivers. Other than that, many many layers of clothes does it for me

layers, in the winter I try my best to stay dry as well, I have some water resistant pants which I dont think I wore at all last winter, and I have a nice rain jacket that I match with the pants for my rain suit, but in the winter I wear a set of thermals, jeans and a sweat shirt, as i dont go out in the rain/snow to much if ever, but if i did i guess i could just throw the pants and jacket on over top.

Clam Corporation Ice Armor cold weather suit is what I use. I can sit on the ice for hours withoug getting cold (as long as my hands stay dry that is.) This suit is comprised of a long parka and bibs and is so toasty that I have to use it wearing light weight pants and a t-shirt under it if I am going to be shoveling snow or else I'll overheat. Long johns, jeans, t-shirt and flannel shirt under it keeps me warm when ice fishing. Two Thumbs Up!

https://www.clamcorp.com/icearmor_blue.html

I haven't fished in the cold yet but I do snowshoe, I use snow pants from columbia and and a North Face parka (gore tex) The sleeves zip off which can be nice and it has a bunch of big pockets. I also use wool long underwear because wool is still warm when it gets wet. Another thing I picked up a few years back is make sure your boots fit correctly by this I mean be sure you can wiggle the toes with your thick socks on. I know this seems obvious but I can't tell ya how much of a difference it makes.

I wear Columbia/Goretex coat and bibs.

You won't touch it for $150 but it has a lifetime replacement guarantee.

Probably the single best investment that I have ever made for hunting and fishing.

Cold? It dont get cold round here. I will be in shorts till Dec.

I use the layer method, poypropalyn(sp?), coolmax, fleece and then rain jacket. NO cotton! Wet cotton sucks the life out of ya.

If you plan to be on the water(ice) a floater suit is nice.
We wear them biking in the winter,fishing etc.
They come in camo also...they can get kinda hot though if you do to much work in them.

Zum said:
If you plan to be on the water(ice) a floater suit is nice.
We wear them biking in the winter,fishing etc.
They come in camo also...they can get kinda hot though if you do to much work in them.

Nah....I'm not really worried about a floating set. We don't see any Ice down here in Tennessee... :lol: I'm leaning towards a set made by Vexilar....They're called Cold-Snap. They've got Bibs and Parkas both for $99.99 each(200 for both). Did a little research on them and some compare them to the Ice Armor sets just a little cheaper. But i'm planning on just getting the bibs for now...My legs are my main concern....My upper body doesnt usually get near as cold and I can deal without the parka at the moment. Still haven't definetly decided yet though, I'll let you guys know what I come up with. I'm hoping to be able to at least get a set of bibs maybe next week.

Lol,ya sorry about that should of looked.
Just looked at your average temperature for the winter...were close to that now:)

Well, Went to BPS last night. Came home with a new pair of Bib's. I was just planning on looking and kinda see what they had and what I might be comfortable with, but I got there and looking around and found these. They are Mossy Oak DryStalker 2 Insulated, waterproof, windproof Bib's. They are originally 99.99 and they had this one certain camo pattern (Brush) marked down to 49.99! I tried them on and looked them over good and they are really nice....really soft(inside and out), not too bulky...Well worth 49.99 and I wasn't about to pass them up. Only thing I think i'm gonna see about having done is having the legs on them heemed up just abit. I have what they call VCS(Vertically Challenged Syndrome) :LOL2: But other than that I think they'll do me just fine.

Here is a link to them....
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_81644____SearchResults

Now I just gotta figure out what kind of coat/parka i'm gonna match with them. #-o

Ummm... try this

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_81643?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT&cmid=PP_P0_2

Also available in brush pattern

flounderhead59 said:
Ummm... try this

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_81643?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT&cmid=PP_P0_2

Also available in brush pattern

Yeah, I may end getting one of those, but for my top layer i'm kinda wanting something thats gonna shed water off a little better. The outside of these are kind of a "suede" type feel and although they're waterproof...the water I dont think will really run off of them, so for my coat I think i'm gonna lean towards something thats "slick" so the water will run-off well. Although i'm not positive yet...Just gonna wait and see what I come across. It'll be a few more weeks before I look at getting the coat anyway.

Quackrstackr said:
I wear Columbia/Goretex coat and bibs.

You won't touch it for $150 but it has a lifetime replacement guarantee.

Probably the single best investment that I have ever made for hunting and fishing.

Hey Quackstackr, Do you happen to know which Columbia jacket you got? Or about how much if ran you?

Its really cold here! I wear insulated Carhartts, and a Carhartt jacket with some thermals to keep me warm in the bitter wind. I'm getting ready to do some late night freezing cold trout fishing, so I'll let you know how they do

Latest posts