The landing net rack I made today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
I carry 2 nets, a larger one for catfish, and the smaller one I'd added an extended handle to for panfish. There was no "good" place to put them in the boat that was both handy yet out of the way.

I'd been kicking around an idea the past couple weeks of a way to mount them in an upright positoin on the side of the console, yet with the mounts being "safe" with no sharp corners or anything that would snag you as you walked past.

So here's what I came-up with. I was gonna make it from wood & paint it (gray of course :mrgreen: ), but dad came-up with using a scrap of 3/4" X 4" piece of solid vinyl left-over from installing replacement windows. LOL, he told me I needed to put his name on the large net & mine on the little one. :lol:

The pipe the large net fits into is PVC, it's capped on the bottom, with a drain hole drilled in the cap. I capped it so the net wouldn't continously bump the carpet underneath & cause a "wear spot". The smaller net is the one I'd used the handle off a paint roller (so I didn't have to lean out of the boat) and has a flange on the handle, the flange reses on top of the bottom part of the rack, and acts as a "stop" so the bottom of the handle won't hit the floor.

Both nets will clear the floor by 1/2". The rack will be 100% rot-resistant due to materials used. It will mount via 4 screws through the inside of the console & into the 3/4" vinyl......again keeping with my not wanting to put holes in the boat, and may (probably) will receive a coat of gray paint. Should it ever be removed, the holes will not be noticable because the side of the console is carpeted :wink:

Pics will follow after it's installed.

ST

NetHolder.jpg

NetHolder2.jpg

looks good post some pictures when you get it mounted i was considering doing that to mine my net lays on the floor i just want to see if it will block your view

dedawg1149 said:
looks good post some pictures when you get it mounted i was considering doing that to mine my net lays on the floor i just want to see if it will block your view

Will do, I'll even take one from the console :wink: Of course you could always lay it/them on the floor while under power.

Thanks guys!
ST

Can you not get one of thowe broom handle/ mop holding bracket and mount that to your console to hold them upright. Just a suggestion.

BassNBob said:
Can you not get one of thowe broom handle/ mop holding bracket and mount that to your console to hold them upright. Just a suggestion.

That was my initial thought, I went as far as buying a set. However I didn't like the thought of them sticking out in an area where you had to walk past them to get on the front deck. If you look in the pic, I usually have something setting on the floor across from the console, and against the rod locker.

lol....besides, where's the fun in that :mrgreen:

ST

While your running place them beside your paddle, when you are fiahing mount them in the brackets mounted on the console.

BassNBob said:
While your running place them beside your paddle, when you are fiahing mount them in the brackets mon=unted on the console.

Too much work for a lazy fat guy like myself. Now I'll be able to "load" them before launching, and not have to unload until it's time to get off the water.....or net some fish. Fishing from the front deck won't even require getting out of the seat to grab a net.

Because of my knees & back, it's easier for me to fish out of the back of the boat. I can stand or set as comfort requires. Either way the nets are outta the way & handy. lol, belive me, I put a couple weeks consideration into it, and this was the best set-up for me by far....maybe not for someone else, as my requirements are slightly different than most.

ST

Now I'll be able to "load" them before launching, and not have to unload until it's time to get off the water
I don't see why you would need to unload them to go home, unless it restricts the boat cover.

I strive to make the launch/retrieve process as absolutely simple as possible, so ALL that it takes when I get to the top of the ramp is putting on the transom strap, putting the motor on the motor toter, taking the seats out and laying them on the deck, and pulling the plug. Everything else has a logical place on board, that it stays in when fishing, and that it can travel in while on the road.

You planning on vertical rod holders in there, like a lotta the crappie fisherman have?

I normally leave the cover on for the trip there, any additional stuff I take goes in the back of the truck....lol, I do it to prevent having to get out at a stoplight & drawing down on some piece of feces who decided to try & pilfer somethng out of the boat while it's stopped.

I'm never in a hurry, and it's usually good to stretch a few after the drive before getting into the boat to set again. I always (well, usually) allow myself plenty of time, and try to fish when waters are less busy.

We have a 3 rod limit here, so no spider rigging for me. I do catfish though, and made a removable PVC rack for them. Panfishing ....it's no problem to lay an extra rod down while holding one.

ST

Well, I'm off to go mount the holder.....pic shortly. You know, it's kind of nice having this new laptop, I'm setting on the back porch sipping a cup of coffee :mrgreen:

ST

Went on without a hitch. I attached it through the console with 4 stainless screws & cup (finish) washers. I'd also decided against painting it because the paint doesn't seem to bond well to PVC, and I thought it'd just look better all-white, as opposed to gray after it got scratched & the white chips showed through.

ST
nethldr1.jpg

nethldr3.jpg

nethldr2.jpg

Latest posts