Found new fishin' hole!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
While going North to another town Friday to pickup some trophies, I spotted a ramp off to the left, which leads down to the Green River. I've been this was many times, and seen the river when I crossed the short bridge, but never saw a ramp before. It must be fairly new! Anyway, I asked the wife if she wanted to go check it out, plus gage how far it is one-way from my house. So we jumped in the truck and went to check it out. Turns-out it's exactly 21 miles from the house.

Took the camera with us and snapped some pics right before it was close to dark:

This is looking down the ramp: Long and steep!
normal_Green_River_down-ramp.JPG

Looking right at bottom of ramp at the Green River:
normal_Green_River.JPG

Looking left at bottom of ramp towards Pond River. There were a couple of guys stowing their gear in the boat (had a big old mud motor on about a 14' jon) after just coming up the ramp. I asked them if anything was biting and they said there are some bass in the Green River, but to stay away from Pond River unless you want to fight the flying carp!! Said they recently went down there and were killing the heck out of 'em with shotguns! :shock: :
normal_To_Pond_River.JPG

Looking up the ramp. That sucker is long and steep!
normal_Green_River_Up-ramp.JPG

I'm still pondering going there, cause that ramp is friggin' steep. It has some nice deep grooves in it, but still looks sort of imposing to me. Of course, with it being so steep, it won't take much to float the boat! :)

jkbirocz said:
Wow, that ramp is steep, looks like nice water. Flying carp....shotguns, now that sounds like fun :D

Okay, I might agree that it sounds like fun, but you better take an MP5, or something more formidable if you're going against flying carp AND shotguns 8) :lol:

I might try the ramp if I had 4 wheel drive. With my boat and only 2 wheel drive it might make for an interesting recovery. You sure need to know how to back a trailer too. Ramp didn't look too narrow, just enough to make it interesting for a beginner. :shock:

Did ya "skip a flat rock across Green River" (CCR) :mrgreen:

Flyin' carp & shotguns?......one word.........PULL! =D>

Looks similar to the ramp at Salamonie (Mt Etna), I'm gonna try one of the other ramps sometime.....too dang steep for me. So, when you gonna fish it?

ST

That is probably part of the property that the KDFWR purchased. They bought about 1200 acres there and about 900 around Clear Creek in 2005 and have put ramps in for access.

I would be careful about running the river around there. I know several guys who duck hunt in that area and unless you are running a mud motor, you aren't going to have a lower unit for very long.

I have also heard that the local outlaws can get rather out of control around there during hunting seasons (duck and deer).

Well if it's got fish in it and you can get to the water and you drive a Ford to pull up that steep ol' ramp...........then what's stoppin' ya WW?? LOL
Everybody likes Fords on here don't ya? :lol:
Well anyway,if you decide to fish it,I would definately want to see the flyin' carp!!
The shotgun thing...sounds a little "backwoods" to me but hey,whatever works I guess :mrgreen:

Loggerhead Mike said:
bunch'a girls, thats a beginner ramp :mrgreen:

LOl, and when you get back to the top you're a expert, lol.

Is the river low maybe?

yep, talked to a guy at work today and he said the river is really low right now. Made me feel better knowing the ramp might be 10' shorter when the water rises again, lol.

Did ya "skip a flat rock across Green River" (CCR)

Man, I remember that song! 8)

I would be careful about running the river around there. I know several guys who duck hunt in that area and unless you are running a mud motor, you aren't going to have a lower unit for very long.

I don't use a main motor, just 2 TM's. If the current is screaming through there I won't launch :shock:

I have also heard that the local outlaws can get rather out of control around there during hunting seasons (duck and deer).
That is probably part of the property that the KDFWR purchased. They bought about 1200 acres there and about 900 around Clear Creek in 2005 and have put ramps in for access.

It is kinda isolated out there. 8-[

Well if it's got fish in it and you can get to the water and you drive a Ford to pull up that steep ol' ramp...........then what's stoppin' ya WW?? LOL
Everybody likes Fords on here don't ya?
Well anyway,if you decide to fish it,I would definately want to see the flyin' carp!!
The shotgun thing...sounds a little "backwoods" to me but hey,whatever works I guess
Everybody likes Fords on here don't ya? :lol:
The shotgun thing...sounds a little "backwoods" to me but hey,whatever works I guess :mrgreen:

If I go I'm not going down the channel to the Pond River (where they say the flying fish are) :shock: . Yep, I drive a Ford :) . It is backwoods out there! Didn't hear any banjos though..................maybe the banjo players were asleep [-o< :lol:

i dont see a propleem with the ramp during the summer except it being step .but i like to see logerhead do it when it is iced over

While researching for the depth, I did find a site (KyGeoNet) that had an aerial view of the area. Tried to zoom in real close but it got blurry. The pic is before the ramp was put in, so I annotated where it's located. The Mclean County website has the park listed but no pics yet. It's out in the boonies for sure! :shock:
normal_Kittinger_Park_Ramp.JPG

Latest posts