Questions?????????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.fish

Reaction score
I have unlimited access to my brother's pond, and have come up with some ideas. The pond is fed by a natural spring, and contains a quality amount of largemouth, and big *** bluegills. I was thinking of catching about 10 or 15 crappie, and or yellow perch to stock in the pond. I would love to fish there in the winter in the coming years, and hammer bigger crappie, and perch. I guess my question is do you think there would be any negative reprocutions? I wouldn't want to disrupt the present specie population, or stretch the food source further then what it already is. Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Fish:

From reading the stuff on the internet it looks like you woudl also have to provide a better food source. Remember, although the adults can eat the young, all of the small fish are going to compete for the same food - unless the pond is large enough to support a base of forage fish (ie Dace, gizzard shad, shines) they are all going to be eating bugs - which is not good in ealry spring and late fall.

Stock some shiners, creek chubs and crayfish and you will be setting up for better fishing.

Oh yeah, I suggest that you bring me there so I can provide an in person analysis :D

Captain Ahab hit the nail on the head. Those fish will put added pressure on your bait fish and crawfish. I manage a small lake and we are very careful about what goes in and what comes out. Over the past 6 years we have taken out over 500 bass that were smaller than 10 inches. You have to be careful about hybrid species too.

BlueWaterLED said:
Captain Ahab hit the nail on the head. Those fish will put added pressure on your bait fish and crawfish. I manage a small lake and we are very careful about what goes in and what comes out. Over the past 6 years we have taken out over 500 bass that were smaller than 10 inches. You have to be careful about hybrid species too.
That averages out to be about 83 bass a year...................need any help taking them out?
I'm sure I could get rid of a few!! :wink:

I have heard NOT to put crappie into a pond under either 50 or 100 acres (I can't remember which) because they can really eat up the baitfish for bass. That being said, I have caught some football bass out of smaller ponds with crappie in them. If you want to keep catching big bluegill, I wouldn't stock shiners. I have seen ponds that had the bream fishing was ruined by overpopulation of shiners, but the bass were all fat. It is really a delicate balance, and it is tough to manage for big bream and big bass. If you are catching a lot of big bream, you probably don't catch too many big bass. If you catch a lot of big bass, you probably won't catch a lot of big bream.

Latest posts