10/11/08 Orienteering Results

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Just got the email informing us of the results of this past Saturday's orienteering competition held at Bernheim Forest near Louisville.

How we fared:
- 1st Place of 9 individuals on the JV boys course. 3 hours to complete, and our member (10th grader) did it in 1:09:58.

- 2nd Place of 5 teams on the 4 hour course; Our team (3 boys) did it in 3:33.

- 5th Place of 11 teams on the JV Team Course. 3 hours to complete it, and our team of 2 boys did it in 2:04:35.

All of the above students are now eligible to go to the State HS Meet on Nov. 15th 8)

Congratz =D> and slim dont feel bad so did I. Here is the wikipeda definition of it, sounds like a cool sport

"Orienteering is a family of sports that require navigational skills using a map and compass, usually in combination with point to point racing, in diverse and usually unfamiliar terrain. Participants are given a map, usually a specially prepared orienteering map, which they use to find control points.[1] Originally a training exercise in land navigation for military officers, orienteering has developed many variations. Among these, the oldest and the one with the most "starts" per year[citation needed] is foot orienteering. For purposes of this article, foot orienteering serves as a point of departure for discussion of all other variations."

I found out what orienteering was during one of my military training camps I had to go to... I spent 4 weeks out in different terrains (desert, mountain, swamps, etc...) we spent a week in each location. The first 2 days we were by ourselves. They dropped us each 10 miles from each other, and we had 2 days to hit the rally point. From there we had 3-4 days to find a simulated LZ that was using 25-30 miles away.. There were 4 of us total.... man I miss those days. Sometimes I wish I was still doing that... but that's not a career for starting a family

russ010 said:
I found out what orienteering was during one of my military training camps I had to go to... I spent 4 weeks out in different terrains (desert, mountain, swamps, etc...) we spent a week in each location. The first 2 days we were by ourselves. They dropped us each 10 miles from each other, and we had 2 days to hit the rally point. From there we had 3-4 days to find a simulated LZ that was using 25-30 miles away.. There were 4 of us total.... man I miss those days. Sometimes I wish I was still doing that... but that's not a career for starting a family

Good old LandNav! Never had to do it in the Navy, lol. We used to say we were only a mile from land..................straight down, lol. It is a skill that can come in useful for people if they're outdoors types. The students don't have it as hard as active duty training. They know they'll be on a bus home after the event. lol.

I wish my school would have had something like that... i mean, I did grow up in the boon docks. We used the moss on the trees to find our way around though - that kind of gave me an advantage when I went into that training too... except for the desert, nothing but flats and the heat rising off the sand.

In the end, they will never forget how to do it... I haven't used it for 3 years (when I got out of special ops) but I'm still in the military, just in a more "sheltered" environment. I sit right under a 20' satellite antenna, talk about a good target!

russ010 said:
I wish my school would have had something like that... i mean, I did grow up in the boon docks. We used the moss on the trees to find our way around though - that kind of gave me an advantage when I went into that training too... except for the desert, nothing but flats and the heat rising off the sand.

In the end, they will never forget how to do it... I haven't used it for 3 years (when I got out of special ops) but I'm still in the military, just in a more "sheltered" environment. I sit right under a 20' satellite antenna, talk about a good target!

I've talked to a few fellas that served in the sand pit, and they say the same thing.....just sand and no landmarks. :shock:

Mr. WW, please tell your students good luck in the up-coming meet and Tinboat Nation is behind them.

Latest posts