Glass top patio table

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Well, I came home from work this afternoon, changed clothes, fixed myself a glass of tea, and was heading outside to the back porch just to sit awhile until my wife got home. Before heading outside I decided to raise the mini-blinds on the window to let some light into the kitchen. Got it raised and saw that glass table top was now laying on the deck and was now nothing but glass particles! Don't know why it shattered, but maybe due to the cold/heat change, but it has survived two winters now without anything happening. I thought I'd get a dust pan and scoop up the glass, but all that did was force a bunch of glass through the cracks between the boards ::) . So, I told myself what I needed was a shop vac :) . I used to have one, until a few years ago the daughters pulled the cord right out of the motor by pulling it by the cord down the gravel driveway when we had at that time. So....had to go to Lowe's to get a dang shop vac. $30 later, (after assembling it, I was vacuuming up glass. What a mess! I still have to get under the porch (that's gonna be fun!) to get the pieces that fell under there, but it got dark on me.

Originally, I'd planned on heading to city park to fish awhile after my wife got home, but that idea came to a screeching halt! :(

Dang sorry to hear about the table top. :shock:
You got any neighbor kids with bb guns? Just a thought #-o
I remember when the door glass got shattered in my truck and the boys had been outside with their bb guns and sure enough......it was them!! It was an honest mistake though,they said they didn't shoot at the truck but they were trying to shoot a grasshopper or something like that on the carport. Which is concrete and yes,it just so happened to ricochet and hit my door glass!! Gotta love those bb guns :mrgreen:

Nope no neighborhood kids around here. Our neighbor's table top shattered a week after he had it last year. I mentioned to my wife that the cats may get a surprise tonight if they decide to step from the porch rail to the now non-existant table top, lol. :shock:

I would at least set up a camera if you got one.
Never know,you might win some $$$$$ if you sent it in to Americas Funniest Home Videos :shock:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 466
Sorry to hear about your table.I used to assemble displays for box mart type stores.I was outside assembling displays for a big furniture sale display.It was about 2pm and above 90 degrees.One of box mart's elderly employee's decided to water the plants, out side of the store.I was setting up the display, next to the lawn and garden section,right beside and behind 4 glass patio tables.She decided to use a spray wand, instead of the cane type sprayer,to water the hanging plants.As soon as she sprayed water,it hit those 4 glass tables, and they blew up.I got cut up through my clothes,from my upper stomach down to my knees and shins.Luckily my clothes slowed the flying glass down.The wounds were like hundreds of razor and paper cuts.I had my safety glasses on and didn't get glass in my eyes.I did feel a few pieces graze my face,but didn't cut me.I got my medical bills paid and 2 weeks of pay for it.I didn't even have to go to court.The lady kept her job.She wasn't completely at fault.She was supposed to use a watering cane.She used a watering spray wand instead.She couldn't see the tables because of plant and table placement.The staff at box mart really liked me because, I would do my job without any problems,I was friendly to customers and employees,and I would lend a hand when I could.They even offered me a job when they heard I was going to be cut as a contractor.Yep,I took it until I found something else better.

I bet it made a loud noise when that cold water hit the glass! :shock:

I found pieces of glass 10' across the deck by the grill. I'm just glad it didn't happen while we were sitting there or the grandkids were near it. Luckily it happened while no one was home.

Waterwings said:
I bet it made a loud noise when that cold water hit the glass! :shock:

I found pieces of glass 10' across the deck by the grill. I'm just glad it didn't happen while we were sitting there or the grandkids were near it. Luckily it happened while no one was home.

Sounded like a granade at 25 yards.

I guess I have been lucky.

I have one sitting on the back deck that is a little over 6 years old.

Now I have something else to watch for.... #-o

Depending on how the top sits on the frame... Can you push down on one end and make the other end come up? If so, do you have tree rats (Squirrels)? Seen where they will jump from a tree to a table and hit the edge and cause the top to pop up and slam down. Never seen one break it that way as the glass is tempered, but I guess it is a possibility.

Here ya go:

Table frame close-up:
table_frame_closeup.JPG

Table w/o glass:
normal_table_no_glass.JPG

Box of glass fragments: (I took the box of fragments in the house and told my wife "Look! I got you a box of diamonds!". :lol:
table_top_fragments.JPG

yep, it was frosted or opaque, something like that. Come Saturday I'll take the box of glass to the dump and see what kind of sound it makes when it hits the bottom of the dumpster! :)

(i'll tape the box shut first)

Waterwings said:
yep, it was frosted or opaque, something like that. Come Saturday I'll take the box of glass to the dump and see what kind of sound it makes when it hits the bottom of the dumpster! :)

(i'll tape the box shut first)

I have seen some tables that have glass that has a shattered look to it. It seems that it would not be to strong to begin with.

Latest posts