Identity Theft!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natetrack

Reaction score
I got a call from the fraud protection department at my bank last night to find out about some suspicious charges on my account. I live in ND and the charges where coming out of Atlanta. There were a total of 3 charges made. 2 at Krogers and 1 at Riteaid totaling about $280. My bank is covering the charges and any resulting penalties, but man what a pain in the a$$.

Just a reminder to always keep your card safe and make sure that when ordering online that the site is secure. It would probably be a good idea to check with your bank and see if they offer fraud protection.

I am with Wells Fargo and am very happy that I am. They detected the suspicious charges within 5 minutes of the last charge and called me right away and canceled the card. Good job to the fraud guys at Wells Fargo. =D>

Cool they did this, do you think you know how and when it was stolen? This always worrys me, the only thing I order over internet is some of my fishing tackle. This is how anal i am about putting my credit card on line I pay for my Computer stuff by check, it cost more because of admin. fees but I dont care.

I never use my Debit/Bank card online or any store. I use it at ATM's only. I use credit cards online. I don't want anyone getting access to my bank account.

Wow you got away light, a few weeks ago I had someone charge over $800 worth of their bills to my debit card. I let bank of america know and they replaced it into my account. Cant wait for my claim report to come back and find out what stupid SOB did it.

Same thing happened to my wife a few days ago. Bank called her to ask about a purchase at Wal-mart and Auto Zone on her credit card that morning. My wife doesn't shop at Wal=mart and says she surely wouldn't need to go to Auto Zone. Still not sure exactly how her # got stolen/used, but the bank says she is covered. It just chaps my hide that there are such dishonest people in the world. I would give the shirt off my back to someone that NEEDED it, but for someone to steal from me now thats another story.

The thing of it is, is that they bought groceries and medicine according to where they were shopping. I feel the same way about theft, if you need something ask me for it, I'm happy to help if I can, don't steal it from me.

What sticks in my crawl is that financial institutions have named it "Identity theft" in the first place. Like somehow someone is committing a crime against YOU and that the financial institutions are somehow doing you a favor by "taking care of everything". This couldn't be further from the truth. The fact is, is that the financial institutions set up the credit card systems and they are responsible for their security. If a criminal hacks their system, the criminal commits fraud/computer crime against the institution not YOU. The actual crimes have nothing to do with you, other than the criminal used your info to crash the system.

Looking at it from that perspective, you should be giving you bank hell for it happening in the first place not thanking them.

Hmmm,never thought of it like that.
Thats why they take care of it without a fight?

Cheeseball said:
What sticks in my crawl is that financial institutions have named it "Identity theft" in the first place. Like somehow someone is committing a crime against YOU and that the financial institutions are somehow doing you a favor by "taking care of everything". This couldn't be further from the truth.

Technically cases like these are more credit fraud then identity theft. Identity theft is when someone pretends to be you for financial gain or to reap other benefits which can have devastating effects on YOUR credit/reputation etc.

yeah, you guys are probably right it is more fraud than identity theft. don't really care, it still sucks.

Does anyone remember when clerks would check ids when using a credit card, if they still did id bet it would help. But honestly I cant remember the last time I used a card and had my id checked.

slim357 said:
Does anyone remember when clerks would check ids when using a credit card, if they still did id bet it would help. But honestly I cant remember the last time I used a card and had my id checked.

Some places you do not even have to sign if it is under a certain amount.

I don't even have any credit cards that have my signature on them.
Figured if someone stole them,they would know how to sign my name//
Nobody ever asks,plus I bet they would want the sale.

Latest posts