Question that needs to be answered!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
What do you do with that first slice of bread (the crusty end piece)in a loaf?

Do you skip over it? :LOL2:

Do you throw it away?

Do you wait till the end and then have a 5hit sandwich with 2 crusty end-pieces?

:LOL2:

skip em and get to the good stuff. Or use em in place of hotdog or hamburger buns. Also for breakfast sandwiches with eggs over easy, works better than the middle pieces as the yoke will soak thru em and make for a mess. Thats about all i got.

BassAddict said:
I wait till the end then have a sandwich with it, but only when things get really desperate. If I happen to buy a new loaf before the old one is gone ill chuck them

I'm with BA on this one... keep them and use them only in case of an emergency. :lol:

You mean the heel right? That's what I have always called it. I skip over it till there is no good pieces left then use it for eggs or a sandwich. If it is thick enough I will try to cut a sliver of the crusty side off so it is more like a good piece. The heel of potato bread is actually pretty good.

I save it untill I get to the other end and then I toast them up. I like dark to almost burnt toast, and they work the best for that.

BassAddict said:
I wait till the end then have a sandwich with it, but only when things get really desperate. If I happen to buy a new loaf before the old one is gone ill chuck them

I agree!

I also agree that this question is of the utmost importance and is imperative that it be answered! :shock: :lol:

The only part where you can really tell if you are eating a well made bread, is at the crust...

I actually skip the center of the slide that is always sauggy...

Nothing taste better and a nice baked crust... :mrgreen:

Skip over it till the two crusts meet than make a sammich out of them, usually PB&J, I wonder what the two candidates for prez. do, I should find out since this will tell me who to vote for :mrgreen:

Usually that gets used to hide a dog pill in, or something of the like, assuming it is storebought bread. When it is homemade bread, the ends are fought over, but for whatever reason, the most recent bread machine has been sitting unused for a while (wore the last two out, using them to make all the bread for our family of 6)

Homemade bread? Man I havent had that since I was a kid, YUM YUM!!!! Better tells Momz to make a larger loaf the shamooian is moven in :wink:

Ok - what about me? I love Rye bread which is always sold in 1/2 loaves - so I only get one end (or heel) at a time?

What the heck is just one good for?

We use the heel much the same as some other uses posted above:

- Make-shift hotdog bun
- dog pill holder (has to have pb on it or they'll find the pill and spit it)
- Wait till you only have the heels left and toast them, and put some pb on them
:)

The crust is the best part in my opinion. The first heel stays in the bag to help keep the whimpy middle peices from drying out. When the first heel gets to the last heel I make a sammich out of them. Ham, turkey and swiss usually. Need to find my recipe for Lithuanian Black Bread.

I do the same thing Flounder. Use it to keep the center pieces from drying out, then make a sandwich with them. Roast Beef, swiss, bacon, and a little mayo. mmmmmmm.

Latest posts