oklahoma boaters

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have at least one other Okie on the board. I live in NE OK in the Tulsa area. Most of my time in the tinboat is spent on Oologah chasing catfish with my dad. The rest of the time is spent in my little plastic boat hitting ponds and coal pit chasing bass and the occasional crappie.

How about you? Where and what do you chase around the water?

Make that two. I think AnchorChain may be an Okie as well. Seems like I saw him post a Canton report once.

Canton, Sooner, Carl Blackwell and Kaw for my close to home fishing. When I lived in OKC, I spent a lot of my time chasing saugeye on Thunderbird. Caught a lot of big flatheads there over the years too.

There are plenty of other places in OK I enjoy fishing, these are just some of my close to home favorites.

i live in midwest city i like to go to draper and thunderbird because they are close and i fish for a little bit of everything whatever is biteing crappy, sandbass, and catfish mostly but on occasion i go to eufala put out jug line and then sandbass fish untill time to check the jugs

There are fish in Draper?!? :shock: :lol: Just kidding.

Eufala is by far my choice if I'm going to travel within the state. I've been fishing it since I was a little kid. It is so big...I've still not seen all of it. But that is a good thing. During summer you can always find somewhere on the lake that isn't getting pounded by lake lice.

I'm from Norman. I mainly fish ponds cause I dont have a boat yet. When I do get to go on a boat, I like Longmire in Pauls Valley and Lake Konowa. I have never caught much of anything at thunderbird except crappie.

I'm in MWC. I fish t-bird due to my little tin boat. drapers too rough.
Shure would like to get more fishing in beore gets too cold.

I'm glad someone else was wondering about where all the Okies are?! I live in Weatherford, so I fish mainly ponds :lol: I also fish Crowder, and Canton, and Foss. Haven't been to Ft. Cobb yet (sadly) and I also fish American Horse, and one that seemingly no one else has heard of, Vanderwork!

Anyhow, once I finish my jon, I plan on making Crowder my home lake, and learning to get the crappie and cats out of it :wink:

I'm in Broken Arrow and fish dang near all the time at Bluff Landing (just East of Broken Arrow),, just bought a jon boat to customize the way I want it,, then again all I do is Crappie fish and do a lotta post'n on Crappie.com on the OK section....
now I'm hear and ya'll will get pics also if ya want them...

JAKE

Welcome, I'd love to see pics, and I'd love to get some tips on catching crappie, I'm def. a newbie when it comes to them, and I want to become a pro! Thanks and welcome again!

the best way that ive found to catch crappie is of course make a crappie rig with a couple of small jigs about 6 inches apart and they are particular to different colors so try many different colors but crappie like shelter like fallen trees, docks, and fallen trees next to docks lol. dont cast the line just let the jigs drop to the bottom and instead of realing in and then letting line back out just get some slack on the line and use the other hand to grab the line between the reel and the first eyelet to take the slack out crappie dont bite very hard they just peck so you have to be quick but when you do get em hooked then they put up a fight alot like a sandbass if you get a good sized crappie hope this info helps.

baptistpreach said:
Welcome, I'd love to see pics, and I'd love to get some tips on catching crappie, I'm def. a newbie when it comes to them, and I want to become a pro! Thanks and welcome again!

The next time you go to Canton, try the dam area...the three jetties have brush piles at the ends of them. Also, near the northern most boat ramp of the Canadian area there is brush around the rip rap (lake side) that protects the ramp and courtesy dock. Set up a slip cork rig that is adjustable depth with a jig below. Vary your retrieve....sometimes you can just let it sit still and get bit. Slip corking jigs is one of my favorite crappie tactics. Especially from the bank.

In Oklahoma, the spawn (around March) is easy pickins'. I use a 14' rod and just dip a jig into 6" or less of water around brush, vegetation or rip rap. In our murky watersheds, the crappie spawn extremely shallow. This tactic also works in the dog-days of summer. Where you find baitfish, you will find crappie.

I've never been able to pinpoint the crappie at American Horse. I don't think there is much of a population there. I have seen a few caught over the years, but they seem to be few and far between. I target those magnum sized bluegill when I go there. Can't help you on Crowder, Foss or Vanderwork (ODWC lake...doubt they ever stocked them)

Greg said:
baptistpreach said:
. Can't help you on Crowder, Foss or Vanderwork (ODWC lake...doubt they ever stocked them)

For whatever its worth, the only fish I caught last time I went there (Vanderwork) was a small white crappie while trolling a shad rap!

When you talk about fishing the dam at Canton, do you mean from a boat or the bank? Seems like the distance from the rocks to the dam is way too far to be crappie fishing.

bobessary said:
the best way that ive found to catch crappie is of course make a crappie rig with a couple of small jigs about 6 inches apart ....

How do you put together the rig? I mean how do you tie it? last time I tried, I tied the first one on with a palomar and then tied one on the bottom with the remaining line or vice-versa. But doing it that way, made the jig that was 'suspended' not run straight, because of its position on the line

Thanks for all the help, I'm planning on doing some winter crappie fishing at Crowder once I finish the boat, so any help you can give me there would be great too! (about winter crappie fishing) Do any of you use fishing lights? Thanks!

baptistpreach said:
Greg said:
baptistpreach said:
. Can't help you on Crowder, Foss or Vanderwork (ODWC lake...doubt they ever stocked them)

For whatever its worth, the only fish I caught last time I went there (Vanderwork) was a small white crappie while trolling a shad rap!

When you talk about fishing the dam at Canton, do you mean from a boat or the bank? Seems like the distance from the rocks to the dam is way too far to be crappie fishing.

Either from a boat or bank. I'm talking about the 3 rip rap jetties that they made for bank fisherman. As you are driving over the dam, there are three spots where you can park and walk down to them.

Well Preach,, you ask'd fer'm,, heres a few from where I fish a L O T....
BLUFF Landing...

000_0483.jpg

000_0479.jpg

pic082708_1.jpg

100_3667.jpg

100_2487.jpg

JAKE

Very Nice!

I also love the hat! That blurry one of your son looks like a real nice fish too. Do you catch them on jigs? or minnows? Thanks!
I'd love to know exactly what your set up is, slip bobber? minnows? jigs? weight of jighead etc, thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work.

Thats my Crappie partners ELMER J. FUDD hat,, he hates it when I call him that...
all the fish my lil partner is holding are good fish...1 1/4--1 1/2 range
the trick is easy
** it was fall that means minners (small)
**4# line, yer choice of colors( cuz when the lakes are turning over really doesnt matter) IMHO
** 3/16oz. wieght on bottom of line
** come up 18"-24" tie a 12"pc. of 15# line into main line
** Hook at end of 15#line
** slip bobber w/ bobber stop set at 10'
** werk every piece of standing timber you see...
werking in this fashion sometimes yer bobber goes sideways, sometimes down, but more than anything it will float cuz they attack it and take the weight off line, makes yer bobber float like its setting on bottom...

good luck with that & we'll see ya on the water....

JAKE

I don't live in Oklahoma, but I really enjoy SE OK, especially Broken Bow and Hugo Lake. My dad grew up in that area, and we get up there a few times a year. I guess what I enjoy most is hearing him tell stories about his uncles who lived up in the Kiamichi Mtns.

broken bow and mcgee creek are very good bass lakes. your uncles in the kiamichi mtns. i know those are some good stories.

Latest posts