Heater HELP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVNET

Reaction score
Off topic...

I hope that there are some of you here who might know about the house thermostat for the central heater...

When I first moved to this house, I replaced the old analog thermostat with a new digital one, so far everything works
well, but there is one thing that I am not sure if that is the way it should be or if I screwed it up.

The issue is:

When the thermostat reaches the set temperature, it shuts off the heater unit, but it leaves the central fan running, which start to push cold air around the house. I need for it to also shuts of the fan when the heater shuts off.

The AC unit does work correctly, it turns on and off the fan when the AC compressor engages which makes sense...

I know behind the thermostat all those wires are color coded and depending on the age of the system the wires should be connected in certain way.

I live in a mobile home that was built in 1996 and it came with a brand new central heat/air unit.

Any hints or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

I had a system once that did the same thing and they told me that it was made to do that so the coils would cool down and not overheat when the airflow stopped and the coils were still hot.Dont know if yours is the same but it might be.

When the heat cuts off, the fan should run a few minutes to disapate the heat on the coils. It should run not run continous, 5 minutes tops.

Since you changed the t-stat, I would look at it first. If you still have the old one, put it back on and see if that corrects the problem.

If you still have the directions from the new one, look at them and check to see if you need a jumper and it's wired correctly. DON"T do it if you don't have the directions. If It calls for a jumper ONLY, it should say jump RC and RH.

After checking that and it still is giving you problems, it's time to call someone. I would check 2 other parts fan relay and a heat sequencer, but if you do not have electrical knowledge, get someone who does.

hope this helps

Not wanting to sound like Captain Obvious but did you read the programing instructions regarding fan settings? What make and model T-Stat?

As stated,check the thermostat.My mother's has a built in timer for the fan.My old furnace had a timer and a limit switch built into the furnace.If you're not familiar with heating systems,please ask someone that is.This could be a safety issue for your family,you,and your house.

more than likely you need a jumper.

If you have a 5 wire thermostat line, you need to make sure that the thermostat that you bought is actually compatible with that. I had the same problem, but luckily my bro in law own a heating and air company and he installed the compatible digital thermostat for my unit.

You can call the company that makes the thermostat, and they will walk you through the wiring setup over the phone.

My thermostat has a switch just for the blower....manual and auto. Manual to run when you hit the switch to circulate the air and auto for when the heater or AC is on.

ACarbone624 said:
My thermostat has a switch just for the blower....manual and auto. Manual to run when you hit the switch to circulate the air and auto for when the heater or AC is on.

Mine does as well, but my mother has some sort of new fangled one where you can program the amount of time the fan runs after the heat shuts off and even have the fan come one and off with or without the heater or A/C

ACarbone624 said:

That is what my new digital thermostat has, Auto or ON.

With the AC, Auto means the fan only comes on when the compressor comes on.

With the Heater, ON or Auto, the fan is always flowing even when the heater unit shots off.

My unit is due for a check up so I am just going to hire Florida heating and cooling company to come check it out.

Latest posts