Newb On Board!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba_Louie

Reaction score
Howdy all!

Just drop'n a line in this here watering hole in an attempt to get to know you lot!

I found Tinboats by searching for fishing boat modding sites.
So since this is a topic of interest for me and I have a few projects planned over the next year or more, So this seemed the best place to start my newest odyssey.

I have been waiting and putting off the acquisition of my own first boat for more years than I care to think about. But then, I've always been fortunate enough to have friends and family with boat that have been available to me when I needed one or I fish with these boat owners. So I've been pretty lucky for the most part.

But now that I have 2 young sons. It's time to get our own fishing platform so we have no excuse not to go.

Part of the reason for my delay of ownership in the last 8 years has a lot to do with the state of the economy and less than enough play money to get it gone. So I've stepped into the "How To Get IT Done when your Broke" methodology, and this place seems just the fit.

My first project isn't tin, but a glass project.
I was given a 14ft fiberglass boat for $100 that I will start with for now while I hunt down a used Roughneck 16 to 20ft extra wide beam for a retrofit to my own specs.

I'd appreciate any leads to such a creature if you know where one can be had in any condition worth restoring for a song!

Cheap is "kewl" these days! :wink:

Welcome aboard - your glass boat should be lots of fun (especially for that price) while you look for an upgrade

Where do you fish? What type of waters?

wecome my first was was when i was 9 8 logs nailled togather with 4 2x4s and a old milk cooler for a seat use to get up at 330 in the morning to deliver news papers when done i was on that raft and fishing some of the bast time of my life untill my mother saw it that was the end of it

Hi all and thanks for the "worm" welcome!

Been busy since I last posted, so...
as for your question Capt. Ahab...

Right now, I'm liking it all!!!
Where I fish we have Large Pike, Walleye, Multiple Bass species and Trout.

I'm located in a town called (of all things) Fisherville!
We're located 3kms from Lake Erie's north shore between Port Maitland and
Port Dover in a county named Rainham!
See it here... But Google Earth shows it much better!
https://mt1.google.com/mt?v=w2t.86&hl=en&x=285&y=376&z=10&s=Galileo

To the West of us we have Long Point that reaches out into Lake Erie
https://mt1.google.com/mt?v=w2t.86&hl=en&x=567&y=755&z=11&s=
the inside bay of which is a "Protected" Large and Small Mouth Bass Breeding Sanctuary.

to the East and wrapping around behind us is the Grand River.
It's outlet is at Port Maitland into Lake Erie and is a well known fishery for it's Walley(Pickerel or Dore to all you Canuks), Trout(brown, rainbow, speckled, steelhead,) Pike and Small & Large Mouth Bass, and when your down near Port Maintland.. Perch, Crappy, Carp, Lakers and Muskie!

But the funny thing is. I have yet to explore that much of these great fisheries as yet.
I have spent time in Port Maintland and Port Dover with limited success(shore fishing)

But for the last several years, most of my exploits have taken place way up in the Great White North
near Parry Sound Ontario near the Georgian Bay. We(my brother inlaws and 7 yr\old son) actually
fish a land locked, spring fed lake 13 kms inland and use 2 nice 14 ft aluminum's with some technology onboard to help explore it. It's got a few interesting features and very little fishing pressure.
It's been my favorite spot for the last 10 years.

We mostly like to jump into our first zone quickly. Once there, we setup to drift along and fan-cast with the slow current with the help of electric trolling motors to work up the area and hang in when we lock into a high traffic\activity location. We don't hang in any longer than 90 minutes before we head to our next transitional zone by trolling to it along a trench in the lake that's around 20 feet down and another 7 -10 feet deeper in the trench itself. This can produce large walley when the time is right. Then at the next drift zone we start all over again.

Just our idea of a day out fishing!

Latest posts