A job

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
How's the jobs for ya all going??

we've been hurt bad, had to layoff 34 people yesterday.

It sucked, most were're good workers too. Its gonna be a hard one this winter cause thats our slow season and its already winter numbers :(

bright side was we was able to keep 89 great workers.

Very sorry to hear that... the only thing worse than having to fire workers is having to fire good workers.

The insurance market is staying pretty strong right now, even with AIGs huge blunder. We are in a holding pattern right now but are looking to hire more in the 1st quarter of 2009.

Hate to see that happen.

So far our division is holding up. I work for a defence contractor with a little under 1000 employed and we're on pins and needles with this election. We have gov. contracts till 2015, but there are no certainties when dealing with the gov.

Every winter we go from 130 guys down to 15. Fortunately, I am one of the 15. I am taking a class down at the Union hall to work at the refineries just in case. You must be certified to work there and you have to take the class for the certification card. Not alot of guys have it so it will be a bonus.

I haven't worked full time in almost 4 years and 2 years since I worked part time.Ebay,Craig's list,and handy man jobs keep it going.

my father in law works for mueller they layed everyone off permanent that had less than five years.there will be alot of places laying off the way the economy is it doesnt natter who you put in office

I'm OK for now but we last 38 first wave and 25 on the second. We have 3 product lines and one is going good so welders are busy but machinest are hurting.
WFFF

I'm in a fortunate position. We work a one man shift and have only 4 guys (5 if you count the boss) so we work 12 hour shifts 2 days on, 2 days off. The company I work for is in the utilities industry and everyone needs electricity. Our plant provides steam and electricity to the local VA. We have a 10 year contract (half way through it now) to operate the plant. After that the VA can take it over or negotiate another contract with us. Personally I 'm hoping to have all my bills paid off and be able to sell the house up here by then. Wanting to move back to Texas

ben2go said:
I haven't worked full time in almost 4 years and 2 years since I worked part time.Ebay,Craig's list,and handy man jobs keep it going.
Thats what I do too, probably to a lesser extent than you. But, right now, I am having trouble on those as well. Of course, it doesn't hurt me in the real sense, as I have no bills to pay or such, but a new rod and a couple crankbaits every now and then sure beats none (right now).

FishingBuds said:

Not to good, I'm A land surveyor and we go as the housing market goes. I have been technically layed off since march. I'm getting some hours in each week, enough to cover my insurance and some pocket change. I have been with this Co. for 21 years and dont want to jump ship but I gotta eat, so I have some feelers out and called in some markers but with the way the industry is right now everybody want to bring me on because of my rep. and experience but they cant afford me right now. So it will just be a lean X-Mas and hopefully things will bust open in the spring and I can go back "earning" my pay check.

I am a distribution manager for Ciba Chemicals. We just were bought out by BASF but fortunately I run the only distribution center in the south so we are safe from any closing that BASF will conduct. Must of the closings will be coming from overseas. I have 75 employees and they are still able to work a few hours overtime every week. We are very very lucky.

DahFISH said:
FishingBuds said:

Not to good, I'm A land surveyor and we go as the housing market goes. I have been technically layed off since march. I'm getting some hours in each week, enough to cover my insurance and some pocket change. I have been with this Co. for 21 years and dont want to jump ship but I gotta eat, so I have some feelers out and called in some markers but with the way the industry is right now everybody want to bring me on because of my rep. and experience but they cant afford me right now. So it will just be a lean X-Mas and hopefully things will bust open in the spring and I can go back "earning" my pay check.

I was a land surveyor in my teens.My father and uncle were crew chiefs.My uncle went on to take over Tri-State surveyors in Greer SC after my father died.So I worked for him as a rod man.Work would be all over us and then as quick as the work came it disappeared.We'd do a residential home survey so the title company would have an up to date one on file.That'd be it for weeks.It sucked working like that as a high schooler.Now I have a nice size family and couldn't work like that.I feel your pain.My cousin was just laid off at the first of the year.He was also a surveyor,crew chief/transit operator.

I think most of you know I work for AIG as an underwriter for risk management casualty insurance... as bad as I hate admitting it, AIGs stupid decisions have hurt A LOT of people, inside and outside of AIG. I think thus far, as many as 500+ people have been laid off due to bad judgements on the parent company.

I think my job is pretty safe though - I got 2 separate pay raises during the month of October... the amounts were surprising to me, but my boss told me that they were willing to pay to keep top performers working for them. I'm not arguing, I'll take a 7500 salary increase any day.

For those of you going through hard time, I really do feel for ya. But keep ya head up and your heart in the right place and everything will work out. Believe me, I've been in that situation for the last year wondering how I'm making it while my wife is still out of work, not to mention she's about to start law school, so yet another bill to pay.

I work for Loegering Mfg. in ND. We build tracks for skid steers and compact construction equipment. We have slowed way down as the housing market slowed, but we are still holding on and haven't had to lay anybody off. We are now owned by Terex Global and they are involved in so many different aspects of construction that we should be alright.

Latest posts