dumb question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brianlt21 said:
the foam in a boat under seats what is it intended for?

No such thing as a dumb question, except one that is not asked :wink:

The foam is for floatation in case the boat decides it wants to be a submarine (sinks). You're not thinking about removing the foam are you?

I took the foam out of the center seat in my 1236 jon... the foam comes into play if you turn the boat over in the water to keep it afloat. If mine turns over, I want it to go down so I can get a new one. The water I fish is so deep, there's no way I'd be able to get back the stuff I would really want (all my gear, reels/rods) which cost more than the boat!

I ask this question because I just bought my boat about 3 or 4 months ago and it sat outside for about 15 or so years uncovered so I wanted to redo the floor and when I took the middle seat out I found out there are the pieces or wood about 3" wide that hold the seat on under the aluminum piece. I wanted to replace that with a wide piece of oak or something so I could add seat bases to the wood.. But the old seats have steel on both sides witch encase the foam I am just wondering if I couldn't get the foam out how i could a reattach it or b just do with out>. that's all any opinions.

It is legally required for manufactures to put in, and hold the boats weight, and the max weight capacity from sinking completely, in the case that you swamp. I think it is more trouble than it is worth, and take my chances not having it.

ben2go said:
Flotation foam.In most cases it won't even keep the floating near the surface.

According to the Coast Guard site it says:

Coast Guard said:
Summary of Basic Flotation Performance Requirements:
The manufacturer must be sure that the boat will float, in any position, when loaded according to the regulation. Figuring the calculations alone may not satisfy the regulation; consequently, the boat should be pre-conditioned, loaded with the weights prescribed, and then swamped.
That means a new boat must be able to float even when filled with water if it is loaded within the capacity plate limits. This was taken from the Coast Guard site section dealing with floatation foam.

You can do what you want in regards to your boat and the foam inside of it and I doubt you will be in trouble with the Coast Guard. Personally I like the life I have and would never consider reducing the amount of flotation my boat has.

Waterwings said:
bassboy1 said:
...I think it is more trouble than it is worth, and take my chances not having it.

You planning on "donating" your boat a new fishing reef? :wink:
Not exactly. Just looking at the cost of doing it, and the number of boats that I run through here. The statistics show it not happening often at all. But, I figure that if I did lose one to it, I would probably about break even in the added expense of putting it in all the boats, and the space lost by having it. As far as safety factor, I look at what is really important to float - me, and whatever people/dogs are in the boat. That is what the PFD is for.

Not to mention, apparently a lot of manufactured boats don't meet specs, as I have seen quite a bit of untended boats sunk at the marinas, because they either developed a leak, or filled with rainwater, and didn't have a functional float switch controlled bilge pump, and were ignored for a period of time.

I should have also included this

Coast Guard said:
FEDERAL LAW

183.201 - Applicability

(a) This subpart applies to monohull outboard boats that are:

(1) Less than 20 feet in length; and
(2) Rated for outboard engines of more than 2 horsepower.

(b) This subpart does not apply to sailboats, canoes, kayaks, inflatable boats, submersibles, surface effect vessels, amphibious vessels, and raceboats.

Discussion:
Monohull boats under 20 feet in length and rated for more than two horsepower must comply with the more sophisticated flotation system called Level Flotation. The Level Flotation system requires that the swamped boat, loaded with certain weights representing weight capacity, part of persons capacity and some equipment, must float in an approximately level position and not heel past a certain angle, even when part of the passengers’ weight is on one side of the passenger carrying area. The Level Flotation section covers the requirements and tests to perform.

I am all for safety and keeping my boat and it's contents.I am not wreckless and I know my fishing areas or go slow until I do.When it comes to a sinking,I ain't worried bout nothing, except people.Pets don't board a boat I'm on.I seen a couple out with there dog.They were stopped looking at something floating in the water.They left the boat idling and the dog(full grown lab) jumped in the driver seat,knocking the boat into gear and half throttle.Needless to say the couple went overboard and the boat went screaming accross the lake and up into someones yard.We were leaving out to go fishing,so we picked the couple out of the water, and tried to get to the boat before it hit shore.No dice.At 30mph in a tri hull,there V hull was doing 50mph at least.Nothing left but fiberglass and aluminum shrapnel.The motor was a marine 305 Chevy and it made it in mostly one piece.It took the wood re-enforced transom out the bow.Needless to say the couple were ticketed and fined.I know they lived on the lake but I'm not sure they got another boat.Wondering what happened to the dog?We found him treading water on our way to try and catch the boat.The lady was crying the whole time,she quite down a bit when we found their dog.Seeing a boat desinagrate is nothing like it is on TV.It's much more terrifying in person.I thought it was going through a house.Anyway,I'm done with my pet rant.Oh,no one under 18 gets in my boat without wearing a life jacket. [-(

Perhaps smaller bodies of water I would be concerned less with sinking or being thrown over. However just last spring a very seasoned Lake Michigan salmon charter boat captain had his charter boat sink from under him and his 5 passengers. In less than 15 minutes the lake went from 3-5 foot waves to 13+ breaking over his boat. His boat was a 29 footer I believe and if his boat can get swamped, I'll be making sure that if mine does, it ain't going down. Sure I wear a PFD, but from a helicopter, a 19' boat (even swamped) is more visible than a man in a PFD.

i would say it depends on how good you can swim,just kidding.i think it depends on the size of the lake and conditions.but to be honest most old boats probably wont float due to the foam conditions if it was me and i needed room i would take it out .make sure you have a working bilge pump and a pfd

I'm pretty sure this was asked a couple months ago but aren't PFD's law in your areas?One per person?
As far as the flaotation...I like my boat,plus if it floats at the surface it would be easier to find me.I'm keeping it in.

Zum said:
I'm pretty sure this was asked a couple months ago but aren't PFD's law in your areas?One per person?
As far as the flaotation...I like my boat,plus if it floats at the surface it would be easier to find me.I'm keeping it in.

yep

So is my boat going to sit lower in the water and not float as good if i add weight and remove the foam?

stew6371 said:
So is my boat going to sit lower in the water and not float as good if i add weight and remove the foam?

If you add weight and leave the foam it will sit lower. if you add weight and remove the foam it will sit higher.

The foam only comes into play wen the boat fills with water - keeps it from sinking.

Otherwise, the foam just adds weight NOT flotation

I'm keeping my foam in for three reasons:

1) Don't want to lose my rig to the bottom of a lake because I removed the foam.

2) I can't think of any way to retrieve my rig from the bottom if it does sink.

3) I don't want to pay my insurance deductible if I have to file a claim after it sinks. :shock:

Waterwings said:
I'm keeping my foam in for three reasons:

1) Don't want to lose my rig to the bottom of a lake because I removed the foam.

2) I can't think of any way to retrieve my rig from the bottom if it does sink.

3) I don't want to pay my insurance deductible if I have to file a claim after it sinks. :shock:

do not worry about reason #3 - you take out the foam and you will lose your insurance coverage anyway :shock: