Timing belt and water pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
So...I get a call from my car dealer informing me that from my records it looks like it is time to change my timing belt, and while there at it they recommend I change my water pump for a nice low fee of $600+. Since I did not do the 90,000 mile service ($500).

I don't want to dish out $1200. :shock:

Is the timing belt really something to worry about? What would you do?

It is a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with 105k miles on it.

I'm not a mechanic, but it would seem to me that if they are going to charge you $600 to change a timing belt and water pump that are still working, I would wait and take a chance that they continue to work for the duration you own the car. If one fails, THEN you can pay the $600 - whay pay it for preventative maintenance if it will only cost the same to fix IF it breaks??? Now, that said, if they wanted $600 to do preventative maintenance on something that would cost $4000 to fix, that's a different situation. Or, does changing a broken timing belt cost more than changing a good timing belt :?: :?: :? :? :roll:

I'm no mechanic either, but I did have a timing belt break on me once in my first car(89' toyota camry). It completly shut down, luckily I was fixing to turn into a parking lot anyway. If you were on a busy highway or something and this happened, it might not be too pretty, but again....I dont really know THAT much about it. But I do know that if your timing belt breaks, it won't run....haha.

I have a Toyota with 220,000 miles and the original belt and water pump.

I am sure you can break something else before those parts need replacing - I say if it is not broken, do not fix it!

WikiAnswers says it should be replaced at 90,000.

You need to find out if the engine has a belt or a chain. Used to be if it was a timing chain that it would tear the engine up when it failed. I think that when a belt fails it just shuts down the car and you have to get it towed.

I'm one who sticks to maintenance schedules on cars. Just seems to keep them running longer and with fewer problems. Can get pricey, but an unexpected, major repair always seemd to hurt more and came at the most inopportune time. #-o

The dealership is just looking for $$$ since they are not selling any cars. I always wait till something breaks till I fix it, and even then I may not fix it :lol:

if the t-belt brakes its going to warp your valves and you'll be in for a new top-end, wich isnt cheap on yoters. if your speed is up enough, its going to tear up alot more than your top end.

for the statistics, yah most yotors can go forever without replacing the t-belt, but do you want that thing to snap when your doing 60 down the interstate? plus fry your motor

they say to replace the water pump because in most cases you have to take it off to r&r the t-belt

hope that helps yah goodluck

btw: ask some guys in the shop if they do sidework! the boss may get pissed if he see's you, but i take people up on it all the time :mrgreen: . out of that $600 bill, the tech working on your rig will probably only get 80 bucks out of it is why most techs love to do sidework

Loggerhead Mike said:
but do you want that thing to snap when your doing 60 down the interstate? plus fry your motor

There is no chance that any true Massachusetts resident is going as slow as sixty on any interstate - they revoke your license if they catch you going less then 75 :shock:

There is no chance that any true Massachusetts resident is going as slow as sixty on any interstate - they revoke your license if they catch you going less then 75

lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well I am a mechanic.The Toyota engines are whats called interference engines.This means that if the timing belt breaks the valves will contact the pistons.This can lead to bent valves and guides,cracked piston,bent connecting rod,and a spun rod bearing.I highly recommend the timing belt replacement.I would suggest to a customer to replace the water pump also.The reason for water pump replacement is because it is driven by the timing belt on some engines.All the money is for labor.It takes a lot of time to strip everything off the front of the engine to replace a timing belt.Doing the water pump may save money in the long run but it's a toss up.

Interference engines will tear things up inside if the belt breaks. Non interference engines will just quit running and all you have to do is replace the belt. As for the water pump, you have to take it off anyway. Might as well replace it while you are there. No need spending all that money and then having to pay again just for the water pump. When I replaced mine on a 94 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 2.4l 4 cylinder, I replaced timing belt and tensioner, timing cover seal, balance shaft belt and tensioner, water pump, thermostat, camshaft seals, valve stem seals, valve cover gasket, PCV valve, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and wires, distrbutor cap and rotor, O2 sensor, and v-belts. Parts were around $300.00. The water pump was $27.00. You have to take a lot off to get at it.

Jim, I had a Toyota Camry and the timing belt belt went out on it at about 150,000 or so. Messed up quite a bit of stuff and had it fixed and they asked if I wanted to go ahead and replace the water pump while they were in to it that far and I said no.......well I paid for it later and the pump went out about 4000 miles or so later.So if it were me, and you had the $$ I would go ahead and do it.
As far as your mechanic charging another $600.00 or whatever it was,I would try someone else you trust to work on your rides.(yea I know,good luck)
You would hate to be pullin' the boat next spring and the timing belt go out or the water pump! #-o

The dealer told me that about my wifes 2004 Sebring that has 95,000 on it. I don't want them messing around with it. I know something won't get back together right and it won't be the same again. And then other stuff is gonna break. I know, I'm a bit paranoid! I think they either should make a longer lasting belt or go back to using chains. All this preventative mant. crap is too expensive.

I would get the belt and pump changed Ahab has been lucky if you change the belt every 90k it will run forever the reason you change the water pump at the same time is it's location you will need to have the motor pulled apart to replace the water pump if it goes so they do them both at the same time.
I am glad that my tundra has a steel timing chain so i don't have to worry about it. Best truck i ever owned..
I would also think about finding a private shop to handle the repair I take my truck to the dealer for the check up then takeit elsewhere for the repairs

I understand why people would rather have chains.They aren't as easy to break,BUT they fatigue over time and stretch.With newer more sensitive electronics this can cause major issues.Right now I have a timing chain that has 170,000 miles on it.It's causing my car to idle poorly,fuel mileage is down a lot,and so is power.It's throwing the cam sensor off just enough to cause issues.Recommended factory chain replacement in my car is 80,000 miles.

Just a suggestion. Buy the parts and do the maintenance yourself. Get a good shop manual for it and seek a knowledgeable friend for help.

Either way....Take it from me, you don't want that to EVER break on you. It happened on mine and I had to have the entire head rebuilt...the pistons and valves came into contact...bad news. My old man was a GM master-tech for years and years. His old mantra was "pay me now, or pay me more later". There's a lot of truth to that saying. Don't ignore preventative maintenance. It can cost you more in the long run. Just my $.02...I'm not into gambling.