Cat training

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, that is quite close to the best way I know to train a cat to stay off of something. A small squirt gun (used ONLY when the cat is doing the undesired behavior) works wonders. One quick squirt (ONE) and kept out of sight when not in use. Squirt the cat (ONCE) and pretend you didn't even notice the cat or it getting squirted. It will assocciate the act of getting squirted with the bad behavior and not with you and will "learn"

flounderhead59 said:
Believe it or not, that is quite close to the best way I know to train a cat to stay off of something. A small squirt gun (used ONLY when the cat is doing the undesired behavior) works wonders. One quick squirt (ONE) and kept out of sight when not in use. Squirt the cat (ONCE) and pretend you didn't even notice the cat or it getting squirted. It will assocciate the act of getting squirted with the bad behavior and not with you and will "learn"

Shoot..Thats what the problem is. When it jumps on the counter I come running in with the squirt bottle and it jumps off the counter. I did it all wrong. :x

lol thats too funny.

i have the same problem with my cat on my new heavy chevy. thanks for the advise!. i think im gonna stick with a 5 gal bucket of water instead of a squirt gun though :mrgreen:

Jim said:
flounderhead59 said:

Shoot..Thats what the problem is. When it jumps on the counter I come running in with the squirt bottle and it jumps off the counter. I did it all wrong. :x

While that approach will in time teach the cat to avoid the counter, the cat will generally associate it being bad if you are there (with a squirt bottle). It really needs to be a surprise and the cat should only associate the water with the behavior. The only thing I have not been able to cure my cat from is chewing. He'll chew power cords and the backs of shoes. Never my shoes (I think because I feed, water and clean the litter box), just everybody elses. He does less of the chewing now but I think its because he's either chewed it all or at 13 is finally getting too old for it. Vet says it is prolly because he was taken from his mother too early.