Eagle Scout project ideas......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
As many of y'all may know, I am 15, and currently a Life Scout, with my Eagle Scout project being one of the last large scale hurdles between me and the rank of Eagle scout.

I would like to do a project for the lake, and that is where I am in need of a few suggestions. I live near Lake Allatoona, which is a Corps of Engineers reservoir in the Georgia foothills. The lake, like many Corps lakes, was bulldozed clean before being flooded, so there have been many recent projects to help the largemouth population (we have no problem with spotted bass here - especially ones that run 11 7/8s inches :lol: ) I would hopefully like to have my project help the largemouth. I have talked to the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) fisheries biologist of the Wild Life Research Department, and he has also talked to a Forester/Park Ranger of the COE (Corps. of Engineers). So far, he has informed me of a couple projects in the past. One of which, done as an Eagle project 4 years ago, was spawning benches, with brushpiles around them, in the back of a couple creeks. Great idea, but it has to be original, I can't copy another project. He also suggested making a pavillion or something at one of the largest ramps, so tourneys wouldn't have to use a truck tailgate as a weigh table, and could be semi sheltered while weighing in.

Right now, I am hoping to see what other suggestions come up. What sort of artificial structure (aside from brushpiles - not exactly an original idea, at least on this lake), do y'all either have on your lakes, or would y'all really like to see on your lakes, that would help the population of largemouth? The thought has occurred to me to create an artificial plot of standing timber or something of that nature. Just looking for a few more ideas to sift through.

As far as access to the lake bottom, the lake is drawn down 17 feet each winter, so I should have plenty of access up until Feb. or so. Ideally, were I doing a lake bottom project, I could do it during winter holiday, when school is out, and folks won't have to worry about studying and such.

Thanks,

bassboy1.

Take a look at this Google search....

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGIH,GGIH:2007-04,GGIH:en&q=artificial+structure+project+for+lake+largemouth+bass

The second item is an artificial structure project in a SD lake. Interesting info that could be translated to your situation.

BassBoy, I wish I could hlep you with an idea or some direction, but I cannot. However, I commend your efforts and have total confidence that you will both undertake a worthwhile project and achieve your Eagle Scout rank. Your obvious knowledge, skills and abilities, (and being considered the "Go To Guy" on boat questions on this forum) make it clear to me that you shall succeed....

I was not in scouting when growing up, but I recognize the Eagle Scout rank as an extremely admirable and a prestigeous level to achieve - good luck to you in becoming an Eagle Scout. =D>

I don't know what kind of structure the largemouth like, but as an old eagle scout I'm happy to hear you're working on your eagle project.

How about this bassboy. Start a campaign of collecting xmas trees after the holidays. Then organize a group of volunteers to haul the trees to key places on the lake for bass structure. You'll be acting as a community leader providing a valuable community service, doing something "green", and providing great habitat for bass fry. The fine twigging of an xmas tree makes excellent hiding places for the little guys.

There is a lake near me that freezes over in the winter. The DNR encourages people to haul their xmas trees out onto the ice. In spring time the ice melts and trees sink. Not that you could do that in GA but like you said the water goes down in winter.

BB1,
In lake I fish quite a bit in Western PA, the fishing clubs build these things called porcupine cribs that they put into the lake. If you have access to the bottom of the lake during draw down you can build and group them right there. Here is a link to what they look like, one is on the front page. How they build them is on page 18.

https://www.fish.state.pa.us/water/habitat/lake_fish_hab.pdf

No matter what you do there just keep us posted and keep on doing good. =D>

Cheeseball, we do the christmas tree thing up here also. haul them out onto the ice and let them sink. It is a good way to get rid of the tree at the end of the season and it helps the fish population immensely.

Bassboy1, I would try to do the christmas tree thing. Being an Eagle Scout myself, I know that you could get enough time into a project like this including the planning, organization, advertising to the community, and getting the trees in the lake. It would help your community and the lake.

keep us updated with whatever you do.

the Christmas tree thing is a good idea but they will only last for a year or two.
I placed over 200 trees in my lake in a long hot weekend!!! and they have rotted away in two years, if you can get your hands on some 55gallon plastic drums you can make spawning beds for the large mouth.

cut the top and bottom off so they are about 6" to 8"high you can also leave two pieces about 16" high 4" wide drill holes near the top
fill the bottom with small pebbles to about 1"below the top
You can use a rope to lower them into place using the holes.if you space them in the backs of coves in 3' of water they should work.

I also think the weigh-in stage is a great idea and you could get a bunch of guys to offer some help on that.

I am trying to get the park mgr to allow me to build one of them at the ramp I use here and if i get the okay I will be contacting a local scout leader to see if he has an eagle that wants to take the lead..
Wayne

if you would like some ideas on what a stage needs let me know

I haven't been in any type of scouts.We didn't have that in my area when I was growing up.I wish I'd have had something like the scouts to be in.My father died when I was a small child and it would have helped me a lot.You don't need luck to take that next step to move up a level.You will get it.If you keep this up will have no other choice but to be succsessful in the scouts and life.

One thing I wanted to add about processed lumber.Remember that treated woods have chemicals that can leech back out of the wood and into the water.Possibly contaminating the area you're trying to bring the bass into.You probably already know this,but I felt it was worth saying.Post pics of the project.I'm interested to see what you come up with.

redbug said:
the Christmas tree thing is a good idea but they will only last for a year or two.
I placed over 200 trees in my lake in a long hot weekend!!! and they have rotted away in two years,

All the more reason to do xmas trees. Rotting is good, it completes the circle of life. Providing valuable nutrients for aquatic plants like hydrilla and lilly pads.

Lots of ideas here https://www.crappie.com/crappie/crappie-structure/?pp=30&daysprune=365 materials are limited only to the imagination. Browse through and I am sure you will find some interesting things. PVC has become popular and works well after it has been out in the sun a while first. The UV rays begin to break down the pipe making it easier for algae to attach. One of the most productive structures seems to be stake beds made from either wood stakes or bamboo poles driven into the botom of the lake. Here is a link on how to make a stake driver https://www.crappie.com/crappie/crappie-structure/48990-stake-bed-driver.html I am thinking of driving some bambo poles myself. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cheeseball said:
All the more reason to do xmas trees. Rotting is good, it completes the circle of life. Providing valuable nutrients for aquatic plants like hydrilla and lilly pads.
No hydrilla and lily pads here. Lake gets drawn down 17 feet each winter, and is at full pull only from Late March until Late Sept. Plus, due to another Corps. project I have assisted with, there will be plenty of tree rot....

I do like the idea of the barrel spawning beds. I have been talking with the DNR and Corps guy, and possibly have a few other ideas brewing.....

instead of using wood, you can use corrugated pipe like whats used for drainage from septic systems. they basically give baitfish a hiding ground and then give the LMBs a place to feast. I've done this at some lakes in SC and they are some good honey hole spots as well.

I do think that the weigh-in is a really good idea though, it will benefit the community, plus you can get local shops to donate the materials so there's your organization skills.

I'll keep the idea in the back of my head and we'll talk about it when we fish that tournament over thanksgiving

Start a campaign of collecting xmas trees after the holidays
Thats what they do around here. The collect all the trees after Christmas and take them out on the lake while its froze. When the ice melts the trees fall to the bottom giving the fish more structure each year.

Well, after talking back and forth with the DNR fisheries biologist, the Corps. projects manager, and a well known guide who owns a forum for the lake, and is VERY active in lake conservation, we got an idea, and it was approved by my scoutmaster last night. Right now, I am in the process of writing up the rough outline to send off, and get approval from the Council. Then, I will just need approval, from the Corps of Engineers, and we should be rolling. More to come later, including what it actually is that I am doing..... :D

mtnman said:
Start a campaign of collecting xmas trees after the holidays
Thats what they do around here. The collect all the trees after Christmas and take them out on the lake while its froze. When the ice melts the trees fall to the bottom giving the fish more structure each year.

You do know that it is illegal to do that in Pa. right?

I am not saying do not do it - I have my own littel artificial reef at a local lake, just make sure no one catches you doing it :?

There are numerous reasons that Christmas trees are not very practical on this lake. When I do share what I am going to do (have a couple reasons for keeping it under wraps - not trying to merely hold out on y'all) you will see what I mean.

Latest posts