Thanksgiving memories

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
In a different thread there is a discussion on the foods but I thought I would share one of my more menorable Thanksgivings:

One of my most memorable Thanksgiving memories was back when I was stationed in Norfolk, VA, on my first ship, the USS Canisteo (AO-99). Thanksgiving 1987 and I had a negative leave balance so I didn’t want to go deeper in the hole and fly home for the long weekend so I was going to spend it on the ship. One of my shipmates, Brian, asked me to go with him to his girlfriend’s place in NYC. So I went with him. His girlfriend’s family is very Italian. I mean that in a good way. Grandma lives in one house and next door is one daughter and on the other side another daughter’s house. Anna Marie’s family lived closer to the city. We went to grandma’s house for dinner. When we got there I could smell all the Italian herbs and the pasta sauce simmering. A quick tour of the house and I noticed in the kitchen nothing like I would see as traditional “American” Thanksgiving dinner. I like Italian cooking so thought this would be fine. We sit down and Papa is at the head of the table and I have to sit at Papa’s left hand. First comes the anti-pasta and cheeses and salads and all kinds of goodies. We finish that off and then comes out big bowls of pasta and sauces and lasagna and loaves of bread. Man did I get full. Oldest daughter says she is going to her house next door. Figured she was going for dessert. Wrong, she went for the turkey and the ham and the stuffing and the sweat potatoes and the mashed potatoes. I’m already mostly full. Papa fills my plate. I eat. When I clean my plate he put more on it. My buddy signaled me to not clean my plate but to leave a few forkfuls of food to show I was full. I left some food and the plate wasn’t replenished. Now the other daughter went to her house to get the deserts. 5 different pies and 2 cakes plus some Italian type pastries. Thankfully they got placed on the table and we adjourned to the living room. About a half hour later I was led to the spare room down stairs, given a towel and told to take a shower and then take a nap. They would wake me in a couple hours. (?) Strange, but I did that and several hours later I was awoken and went upstairs for dessert. Pigged out on that too.

Latest posts