The lure of ice fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
Just one of the reasons I like ice fishing... Check out the water in the guy's hole around the 30 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmGIV1ZNqCs

:shock: Thats wild! Never heard of anything like that. I believe I would be getting off that ice if I heard something like that! :lol:

Actually that is the sound of new ice forming... sorta. As more ice forms it expands and those are expansion cracks you are hearing. When it is melting you don't hear anything really. I really liked the way this one sounds though. Sort of like cables under high tension.

flounderhead59 said:
Sort of like cables under high tension.

that's what I was thinking!

We used to skate on a pond in Maryland when I was a kid and you'd hear the ice cracking as it expanded. It's really unsettling but I was always told that's a good sign since it's expanding.

Ice fishing is somthing i always wanted to do.That sound would bother me some.But i still would like to go. :shock:

Flounderhead has mentioned it to me a couple of times and I'm pretty sure he'd take me with some day if I asked, but, since I have already been ice fishsing once or twice in my life, I seen absolutely no reason to torture myself again :D

Although, I idn't ask if he had one of those warm tents, with a heater and a toilet and all the comforts of home to sit in :lol:
Nor did I ask if he had a ATV to get out there on :lol:
Nor did I ask if he had a cook stove for hot coffee or cocoa or a bottle of brandy to help with the chill of that 50 degrees inside the warm enclosure :lol:
I'm just not sure I'm ready to torture myself like that again :lol: :lol:

I have a friend who ice fishes all winter long in Wisconsin - brutly cold, sub-zero weather doesn't stop him...... he goes out to the ice (about 30 ft from his house) walks out and drills a hole (maybe 50 yards or so), places a tip up and watches it through his living room window from his recliner while he eats & drinks and watches TV too.... Now, I maybe can torture myself that way a little :wink:

Flounderhead has mentioned it to me a couple of times and I'm pretty sure he'd take me with some day if I asked, but, since I have already been ice fishsing once or twice in my life, I seen absolutely no reason to torture myself again
Anytime you wanna go, let me know

Although, I idn't ask if he had one of those warm tents, with a heater and a toilet and all the comforts of home to sit in :lol:
I have the shelter (I'm out of it more than I'm in it though) and a heater - no toilet

got one of those too

Nor did I ask if he had a cook stove for hot coffee or cocoa or a bottle of brandy to help with the chill of that 50 degrees inside the warm enclosure :lol:
I have a large thermos - never used it on ice yet though, never had any girls along either though. 50 degrees? Yeah, I suppose it gets that warm in there. And it's BYOB

flounderhead59 said:
Flounderhead has mentioned it to me a couple of times and I'm pretty sure he'd take me with some day if I asked, but, since I have already been ice fishsing once or twice in my life, I seen absolutely no reason to torture myself again
Anytime you wanna go, let me know

I have the shelter (I'm out of it more than I'm in it though) and a heater - no toilet

got one of those too

I have a large thermos - never used it on ice yet though, never had any girls along either though. 50 degrees? Yeah, I suppose it gets that warm in there. And it's BYOB

Hey, it's sounding better all the time :lol: :lol:

Latest posts