Fuel/Engine additives

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned hundreds of motorized vehicles and pieces of equipment.I have never used any fuel or oil additives.I have never had a blown engine either.I keep up on maintaince and fix problems as soon as I notice them.So I don't think they are needed.Just for the record I have a 1971 Buick Skylark with the original Buick 350 V8.It has 380,000 miles.The engine has never been into.My uncle was the original owner and I have owned it since 1995.All either of use ever did was maintain it.

In my 2-stroke outboard I use Seafoam like every other tank to help keep carbon build up down. In my vehicles I only use gas and Amsoil. Small engine yard equipment gas can gets treated with Stabil. I used to try things like Slick 50 and STP oil treatment in my older cars that I always bought like 8th hand in a futile attempt to extend their life as much as possible. Once I started buying new cars I never added additives. I traded a ’93 Chevy Astro for my ’02 Trailblazer and it had about 250K miles on it. Only thing besides regular maintenance was a new water pump and a new alternator. It was needing a new battery and/or starter when I traded it. I regret getting rid of that thing because it had like 6 cubic acres of space in the back with the back bench seat removed. How you drive it has a lot to do with how long it will live.

Every time I fill the 5gal gas can for mower ect, I add stabil. Every time I top off the gas in boat, I add stabil. On my vehicles, I add a product from BG called 44K to the gas tank every 30k miles. Its a fuel treatment to cut down build up on injectors and intake system. Im not big on "mechanic in a can" product beliver. That said, I did add slick50 to all my demo derby cars. I used 1 engine in 3 differant cars, 2 radiators in each car(2 races per car). Thats 6 times on 1 engine that lost the rad, overheated till the manifolds where glowing red and the engine would not shut off without stuffing rags in the carb. I sold that engine for $200 and the guy ran it is his truck 5 years till he totalled it. Was it from the use of slick50?

Captain Ahab said:
Stabil for the boat when I store it (Actually, I add it after i bring it out of storage)

Nothing else for anything

That sounds backwards actually. Stabil is designed to prevent gas from deteriorating. It also stops the formation of varnish and prevents corrosion.

I use Stabil in my boat because it sits most of the time. I use Seafoam in my truck to keep the injectors clean and clean the carbon out.

I think most of those fuel and oil additives on the market are a bunch of crap like high mileage oil. Is there that much of a difference in the oils?

I know synthetic is supposed to hold up much better than convetional oil.

I've thought of going to the synthetic oil for my '01 Ford pickup, which has mileage over 75k (pushing 90k I recall), but I've been told that once you switch to that, you can't go back to regular oil. From what I understand, the synthetic is supposed to be much better. Have you noticed a difference by using Seafoam in your truck? Do you add it to the fuel, or the oil?

Waterwings said:
I've thought of going to the synthetic oil for my '01 Ford pickup, which has mileage over 75k (pushing 90k I recall), but I've been told that once you switch to that, you can't go back to regular oil. From what I understand, the synthetic is supposed to be much better. Have you noticed a difference by using Seafoam in your truck? Do you add it to the fuel, or the oil?

Not true about switching back to petroleum from synthetic. Amsoil is compatable with petroleum based oils. Personally I was worried about the same thing. Never had a reason to stop using Amsoil. I not have 103K miles on my '02 Trailblazer and I've been running Amsoil since it had 12K miles on it.

As far as switching to Amsoil there are no special requirements. However in older vehicles or those with high mileage, it may be advisable to use AMSOIL Engine Flush first. This ensures that the engine is clean and free of any accumulated contaminants which might have an effect on the service life of AMSOIL Motor Oils. In all cases, it is good judgement to install a new AMSOIL Super Duty Full-Flow Oil Filter (SDF) every time you change oil. Amsoil filters last longer than conventional ones.

Also in modern vehicles, there is no risk of AMSOIL motor oil leaking (providing they are in good condition to start). In fact, AMSOIL motor oil is fully compatible with modern seal materials. It is properly formulated to condition seals, keeping them pliable to prevent leakage.

I had a little bit of hesitation that went away after starting to use Seafoam. I've only added it to the fuel at every oil change (3,000 miles) My truck is a 95 F150 with 126,000 miles on it.

I've heard also if you switch to synthetic oil you will get oil leaks because it is thinner :?:

Flounder, how many miles do you go between oil changes?

ACarbone624 said:
I had a little bit of hesitation that went away after starting to use Seafoam. I've only added it to the fuel at every oil change (3,000 miles) My truck is a 95 F150 with 126,000 miles on it.

I've heard also if you switch to synthetic oil you will get oil leaks because it is thinner :?:

Flounder, how many miles do you go between oil changes?

I started out going 25K miles between oil changes and 12,500 between filter changes. Or to keep it simple 1 Year on oil and 6 months on filters. Which for me now is closer to 15K on oil and 7500 on filters. The reason people say you get leaks is if you had leaks in the first place that got plugged with sludge and gunk and then you flush the motor.

I use Stabil in all of my small engines (mower, snowblower, ATV, boat) and seafoam in everything else (truck, minivan, car). I will also use seafoam in the spring on the second tank of gas through the boat, seems to keep the boat running smooth. (could be in my head, but it makes me feel better so i go with it)

My truck has 126k with no engine issues, van has 42k with no problems, car has 216k and leaks a little bit of oil. Regular maintenance goes a long way to making things last.

I have 145,000 on my truck, no oil leaks, I change the oil every 3-4,000 miles, oil filter every other change, however had alot of radiator problems, some kinda tube under motor rusted out, big bucks, and the radiator had a little split in the side, since they're made out of plastic had to get a new one, big bucks, so I am now going to get the system flushed out every other year. I thought it was just a way for mechanics to make money by doing the flushing, also how could something rust that has anti-freeze in it. Just something to think about, always flush.

Now, I always wondered, if you use an additive to clean out carbon wheres the particles go?

I use Quickleen during the year and stabil before I store the boat for the winter, with the ethanol in the gas you can't mess around any more with gas..

I thought it was just a way for mechanics to make money by doing the flushing, also how could something rust that has anti-freeze in it.

After time your coolant becomes acidic. you can even test voltage in it if it gets really bad.

if you have dexcool in ur rig you need to flush it 2ce a year, even if its just with water in the driveway in the summertime, and coolant in the winter. dexcool is NO longlife coolant

I've got 2 vehicles that I've never had to work on engine wise - knock on wood...

In 1995, I bought a Nissan p/u brand new. Still driving it today with 350,000. Oil changes every 3000 miles, changed to synthetic last year and now I change it every 4500. You can do it 6000 or more, but that really depends on your driving situation. Most of my time is spent sitting in traffic, so it's start stop, start stop - more engine wear...

I've also got a 98 Honda Accord EX v6.. 360,000 miles, and no work done on it except for a transmission rebuild which I did last year. Well, my Dad did - he teaches auto technology in high school back home so he's got every tool and machine imaginable. I have never paid for an oil change, tire balance or any other "can you tell me what's wrong" service. I guess growing up around cars all my life has finally paid off - now I just need to get the wife to agree to building me a separate garage...

Latest posts