Boat storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Well, after thinking about building a boat cover support frame made from pvc, I may have another alternative. Across the street (kinda catty-corner) from my house is one of those storage unit thingees. It's been there for about 5 yrs and I never took the time to notice the advertised sizes of the units. I read the sign the other day and they have 10'x20' bays! That would be perfect for my rig, as I only need about 19'6" to fit it in there. The people that own the storage unit live over the hill from us somewhere (we don't personnaly know them), so my wife called the number on the sign and asked about prices. A 10'x20' bay runs $55 a month, but they won't have one availble unitl possibly the end of the month.

I told my wife that would eliminate me having to worry about snow-fall, winds, etc. messing with a boat cover, and it wouldn't leave a bare spot in the yard where I park it during the winter. All I need to do is remove the batts and keep them in my garage so that I can charge them over the winter. I would probably only need the storage bay until about the end of March.
Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner #-o

That is awesome - an added plus is that you can also store extra tackle and all that with the boat to keep your house clear. Further, you can work on the boat all winter if you want :D

*****Make sure your insurance covers the boat and stuff in the storage unit****

Captain Ahab said:
That is awesome - an added plus is that you can also store extra tackle and all that with the boat to keep your house clear. Further, you can work on the boat all winter if you want :D

*****Make sure your insurance covers the boat and stuff in the storage unit****

Working during the winter would be tough, as it's not heated, just one of those metal structure buildings with no insulation. Yep, I definitely need to contact my insurance agent and check on that. I know my policy covers it while towing, on the water, or at my house, but not sure about storage. Of course, insurance agents are always happy to add to your policy, lol.

FishingCop said:
By me, they are $100 or more per month - $55 is a good deal.... :)

Dang, that does seem high!

Here's a pic I just took from the upstairs window. I said it was close :)
(the open door is not the specific bay. I believe the longer ones are on the other end of the building):
storage_unit.JPG

Thats really convenient. You could walk across the street and check on it if need be.

Waterwings said:
Working during the winter would be tough, as it's not heated, just one of those metal structure buildings with no insulation.

You live in Kentucky man - it only gets a little cool there. I used to laugh at all the Kentucky residents who would freak out whenever the temps dipped below 40*

Captain Ahab said:
Waterwings said:
Working during the winter would be tough, as it's not heated, just one of those metal structure buildings with no insulation.

You live in Kentucky man - it only gets a little cool there. I used to laugh at all the Kentucky residents who would freak out whenever the temps dipped below 40*

Yeah, and when they get a snow flurry :lol: Worse yet, when they get a 3" snow and everything shuts down :lol:

Yeah, and when they get a snow flurry Worse yet, when they get a 3" snow and everything shuts down

Lol, we don't wait that long where I live. If snow even sticks to the roads the schools shut-down and I'm off work for the day, or longer. We missed 14 days one winter due to 18" of snow.

Oh, it's 40 degrees right now, lol. 28 degrees the other night. I absolutely do not like winter, and find it hard to believe that in 1980 I volunteered to "Winter Over" with duty in Antartica. Thank goodness I was 2 ranks too high to get excepted at that time, as I probably would've died down there, lol.

Waterwings said:
Yeah, and when they get a snow flurry Worse yet, when they get a 3" snow and everything shuts down

Lol, we don't wait that long where I live. If snow even sticks to the roads the schools shut-down and I'm off work for the day, or longer. We missed 14 days one winter due to 18" of snow.

Up here, 18" might slow down the take off/arrivals at O'hare (depending on how fast it is accumulating) definately would play havoc with flights and many would be cancelled... and it may shut down schools for a day, but will all be plowed up and gone from the streets in the next 12 hours after it stops and everything back to normal....... But then, up here, we get 4-6" snows regularly and 6-12" several times a winter. 18" would be big, but only a day or so we'd be back in business. But we got BIG plows and lots of them - you got none, I think??

But we got BIG plows and lots of them - you got none, I think??

Small town here. I think we have 3 dump trucks with blades on the front, and they can spread salt/chemicals also. What shuts us down are all of the back country roads that don't get cleared and the buses can't travel them.

Waterwings said:
But we got BIG plows and lots of them - you got none, I think??

Small town here. I think we have 3 dump trucks with blades on the front, and they can spread salt/chemicals also. What shuts us down are all of the back country roads that don't get cleared and the buses can't travel them.

You are better prepared than my in-laws further south in Tennessee.....

Latest posts