Waders?????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Had a pair 35 years ago, if memory serves, they were rubber and dry-rotted after a year or so. I'm looking to buy a pair of average cost/quality for use maybe a few times a year in the spring and fall for river wading - without them going bad in a year. Probably don't need chest high, waist high or thigh high might be good enough - I don't plan on going in too deep at my age in a strong current - and I can't swim - just want to get out further from shore for some flexibility in areas I can't reach from shore.

Looked at BassPro & Cabella's just for info and ideas. Don't understand the difference in many types & materials (rubber, nylon/new stuff). For instance, "boot-foot" to me means they have a built in boot, all one piece, like the old ones of 35 years ago. So, what are "stocking-foot" and how do they work?? Do you wear a separate boot? If so, how do they keep you dry?

Then there are "breathable" and "insulated"?????? Lug soles & felt soles????

Any help & suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Stocking foot (what I use) you need to wear a wading boot over the wader. Your boot gets wet, your foot (in theory) stays dry. Get a nice set of breathable lightweight chest waders and you will be set. Always get them a size or two larger that way you can wear more layers under them if the conditions call for it. I would not recommend the neoprene waders (boot foot) if you have to do any hiking at all. They are great for duck hunting and surf fishing but if you have to walk more then a 1/2 mile in them they will wear you out.

I use Red Ball waders, Simms Boots (felt soles) and Korkers for most of my wading needs.

If you are only wading occasionally, then a boot foot will work. Otherwise, get a stocking foot and a good pair of wading boots with both felt and studs.

For as little as you are going to use them, I'd recommend checking out the brand WalMart carries. I've always bought Red Head stocking foot neoprene, etc. But last year I decided on some breathables for warmer weather. Picked up some breathable chest waders with boot foot from Wally world and they are suprisingly nice. Cheap too. Only thing is, no felt...just regular ol' rubber boot lug sole. Depends on your rivers/creeks whether this would be feasible. We don't have many streams and rivers with rocks around here. Just red mud. :lol:

Neoprene is warm, but torture in warm weather/water. I sweat like a pig in 'em and they start to stink really bad. I will say they are super easy to repair though. My last pair held up for about 12 years until I ripped them open on a barbed wire fence. #-o

Following up....... My primary use will be fall and spring, like now when the river water is in the forties and the ambient temps are 35-40 degrees... Boat is put away and river smallies and walleyes are hitting everywhere... want to get a piece of that action.... Point is, are breathables going to be warm enough? or should I look for another style?? again, I don't know s**t about them..........

There isn't gonna be much warmth provided from typical breathable waders. Whatever warmth you had would have to be provided by the clothes you have underneath. Unless you just plan on hiking quite abit to get to your fishing holes, or want to be able to use them during the summer, I would say neoprene waders would be fine. At least thats my 2 cents.

Hard to say, as I haven't had mine in water below about 45 degrees. I just wear jeans in early, early spring during the white bass runs. I stay real warm in my breathables. I would think with jeans and thermals underneath, you'd probably be comfortable...just guessing though.

Thanks for all the responses and information. I'll check them out at the local sport stores and definately try them on - won't buy then on the interenet without knowing what I'm getting. Breathables seem more comfortable and better for long time/distance use, but neopremes with built in boot might be all I need for working below dams - not wading long distances. And then, only in the spring/fall otherwise, will be on a lake in a boat :D

Thanks for all your help......

I'd like to weigh in on this since I've spend plenty of time in waders. I'd say go with breathable stocking foot models and get some entry level to middle of the road Cabelas brand. It doesn't pay to spend big bucks on waders since all it takes is a barbed wire fence or a piece of rebar to ruin them.

I have these:
https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/...arentType=index&parentId=cat350005&id=0011367

If they spring a leak that isn't a puncture you can return them for new ones.

Maybe these for boots

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/...parentType=index&parentId=cat20616&id=0026700

Let me know when you get them and we'll hit some spots on the Fox! Get the big enough to layer under but not too big. When they're too big they wear in the crotch from rubbing.

Nickk said:
I'd like to weigh in on this since I've spend plenty of time in waders. I'd say go with breathable stocking foot models and get some entry level to middle of the road Cabelas brand. It doesn't pay to spend big bucks on waders since all it takes is a barbed wire fence or a piece of rebar to ruin them.

I have these:
https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/...arentType=index&parentId=cat350005&id=0011367

If they spring a leak that isn't a puncture you can return them for new ones.

Maybe these for boots

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/...parentType=index&parentId=cat20616&id=0026700

Let me know when you get them and we'll hit some spots on the Fox! Get the big enough to layer under but not too big. When they're too big they wear in the crotch from rubbing.

Thanks Nickk - check out my post in fishing reports (I mentioned your name :lol: About my trip to the Fox yesterday - brrrrrrrrrrrr and :oops: a skunk...... :(

I have the mid grade waders from walli world and they do what i needed um to "keep the water out" .they wont keep yah warm and they dont have the felt soals, but for 50 bucks you cant beat it. had mine for 3 years now, i keep um hangin in the garage, and they still look new. just a thaught if you want to save a hundred bucks.

now if your fishin in the cold rivers like we do up here in the winter, go for some neoprin. the only downfall is i cant wear mine in the summer, you burn up

Loggerhead Mike said:
now if your fishin in the cold rivers like we do up here in the winter, go for some neoprin.

You are in North Carolina - what cold rivers?

Here is my river in the winter - Delaware River

Before Tin Boats :lol:
washington%20crossing%20the%20delaware%20river%20revolutionary%20war%20independence%202007%20news%20white%20house%20com.jpg

dscf4581.jpg

Schuylkill river at Philadelphia
frz_riv.jpg

Latest posts