Texas Windstorm insurance rant

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Reaction score
So in mid October, I get this renewal notice in the mail about my Texas Windstorm Insurance and they also submitted the $695.00 bill to Countrywide to get paid from my escrow account. After playing phone tag with the GEICO Bee-och, I finally got a hold of her to verify that everything about my house is EXACTLY the same as last year. No repairs to the structure, no additions, same roof, everything the same. While we are on the phone she told me that she noticed on the computer they received the check from Countrywide. Last night I got a notice from GEICO telling me that they got the $695.00 and now I owe $187.00 balance due. How the hell is this legal? They send a bill, it gets paid and then they say, “Oh, we changed our minds, the bill is now this much”. BULL CRAP!

Contact some other companies and if they can match of beat the bill (plus the $187) send a certified letter demanding that they refund your payment in full and with interest

It is a free country hire someone else to insure you

Did you ask them to show you the math they used to arrive at the "new" figure ??? They cannot just tack on a charge without justifying it. [-X

Like the Captain said.... start shopping the policy.

According to GEICO, when I called to verify the size and construction of my house they then determine the cost to rebuild it. Now they say it will cost $104K to rebuild whereas it was estimated to cost $79,200 last year. So I am being billed for being insured more. That part makes sense to me. I understand more insurance = more premium. What I don't understand is, how in this market, it can cost $25K more to rebuild my house than it did last year. I'm shopping around. Looks like Texas windstorm is a monopolized racket from what I've seen so far.

Hmmm... After looking over all my insurance paper work and talking to several other people, it seems I have been UNDER insured as far as windstorm insurance goes. My regular house insurance has me down for $127K rebuild cost and my Windstorm was $79,200. Seems GEICO was using a different estimator than USAA and different than Texas Windstorm Insurance Association authorized. It seems that if in Texas your primary homeowners insurance doesn't underwrite windstorm and hail (basically hurricane insurance) then you MUST us the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA)our insurance compny does a underwrite windstorm policy then you don't have to use TWIA. However, the companies that underwrite hurricane insurance (fewer and fewer each year) charge more than what I'm paying now. Doesn't make me any happier, but at least I don't think I'm getting screwed (anymore than the rest at least)

Flounder - I will sell you an insurance policy if you like.

Well I will do what you expect to happen anyway, take you premium payments and then deny you coverage down the road :D

But hey, at least you will have insurance

flounderhead59 said:
According to GEICO, when I called to verify the size and construction of my house they then determine the cost to rebuild it. Now they say it will cost $104K to rebuild whereas it was estimated to cost $79,200 last year.

Don't look to collect that much if something should happen. They will turn about face and say they miscalculated the cost to rebuild and that it is actually $79.200.

Can you not get Texas windstorm through USAA? I have all of my insurance through them, but I don't have to have windstorm.. not too many hurricanes here in GA.

You know I underwrite insurance so if you ever have any questions feel free to drop me a line. I underwrite casaulty insurance (workers' compensation, general liability and commercial auto) for National Accounts, so it's not personal lines - but I can tell you when your being fed a plate of poop.

USAA will pay up and most times it's no questions asked - you get the estimate and they pay. I had hail storm damage on my roof which is 6 years old this past May. They sent a guy here from Texas to estimate damages and he added stuff on there that I wasn't expecting. Total check came out to be $16K, and the roof replacement was $5400... I ended up pocketing almost $10,000. I called them to tell them that I didn't need that much, but they said to make sure I do all that the guy said needed to be replaced.
The first year I bought this house - May 2007 - I had lightning hit my AC condenser. They paid $2000 for a new unit, no questions asked. I expected my rates to go up, but each year they keep coming down. And I insure my house 20% more than what they think it will cost to rebuild. So if they think I have a $220,000 rebuild price - I set it to $264,000 and only pay about $50 more per year. When you go to rebuild (hopefully it never happens), all they know is the square footage, materials used (floor coverings, outside coverings, number of floors, etc..) and the cost of materials on that date. So the more you have insured, the more money you have to get the house closer to the way it actually is and how much it will cost to rebuild. You also have a little wiggle room with the contractor to even redesign the house the way you want it.

OK I'm a little confused now that I've been thinking about it... why do you have Texas Windstorm while you live in IL?? or am I missing where your house is.

Your regular homeowners insurance should have wind/hail coverage included in the policy - the only difference would be how you pay your deductible. Like, for wind/hail damage mine is 1% of the cost of repair, all other perils (fire, lightning) are $1000.

I would think you should be able to look around, even through USAA, and find something comparable to TWI. That is a pool of insurance companies who share the risks of hurricanes and it really is a rip off.

USAA paid prompty on my auto claims and when a water pipe broke during a weekend with nobody home (why do pipes usually only break when nobody is around?). They don't offer Windstorm.

I own two houses. One is in Rockport, Texas (right on the coast so the mortgage company insists on a windstorm policy)

ok, that makes sense now why you have to have it. It's a rip off - much like some of the insurance that is required in other states. Texas is worse with insurance than California is with making laws - but the worst state in the world I have to deal with is Florida.

I'll look around and see what other options you may have - I know some people in TX that I can talk to to see what you might be able to get.

Like I said I have been done right by USAA and have 2 houses and 2 vehicles insured with them. Boat is financed with them but they farmed out the insurance on it to Progressive. While I was looking around I ended up getting some information from Farmers insurance. Not sure if they can do better as far as windstorm goes. I want to keep what I have with USAA there. Unless I can get a really good deal elsewhere (lot of loyalty there huh?)

I doubt you'll find better rates for anything aside from USAA. Travelers is the only other insurance company I would even consider based on financial ratings that are put out. I work for AIG, and Lord knows we've been in the news too often lately - the only thing is, most of what the press is telling is half truth and they aren't really explaining what is happening and what the outcome is. I spend 75% of my day on the phone with CEOs from national companies explaining this "bail out" that we are in with the government. Insurance is a headache, and I wish we didn't have to have it, but with the "I'm going to Sue You" mentality people have today, there's pretty much nothing to do about it.

I just saw your reply to the rate increase... hope a hurricane comes and wipes it out - then just recoup the insurance money for it.