gps for wife

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckybassman

Reaction score
Need some ideas or even reviews on a cheaper (not over $150.00) gps for my wife for a Christmas present.
I still have to look at a map or humble myself and ask someone at a gas station!! #-o So yes.....I guess it's for me also :mrgreen:

Friend of mine bought a Garmin c550 a few years back for over $500 - told me about a sale at Miejers going on now for the same unit for $154.00. While researching that, I found the same one at a different on-line store for $135. Also found a Garmin nuvi 270 for $159 - a smaller, portable unit, same size screen, with more options. Bought the nuvi 270 for $159 delivered. Both untils seem to be very exceptional deals for the price - they are bth listed at other stores for much more(several hundred dollars in some cases). Garmin website will update to the 2009 maps for free if the unit is outdated.

TomTom units update yearly for free - but I didn't think that was a consideration considering the price of the Garmins - I also don't think updating the map eavery year is neccessary, but if you do, the Garmin updates are $69.

In any case, check them out on line at Meijers and then check Amazon for cheaper prices at ifferent places.

Oh yeah, got my nuvi 270 in 4 days - haven't tried it yet, my wife has this notion that I can't use it because it's a Christmas present :roll:

Hope this helps..... Good luck

you can't go wrong with Garmin. I tried the Tom Tom first, and didn't like it at all..

I bought the Garmin C340 last July.. used it for about 2 weeks, then went in and splurged on the Nuvi 680. If you can find a Nuvi for a discounted price, I would definitely go that route. The smaller size allows you to take it down and put it in your pocket if you get to a crowed place when you park. I live in Atlanta, and I don't know what I was doing the 3 years prior to getting it. I rely on it to get me every where now. Don't worry about the map updates, you do have to pay for them, but I don't think they are needed except for maybe every 3-4 years. I bought the new map release this year and I saw no difference in any routes I take, and I travel out of the state a lot.

I bought one from QVC a few weeks ago for $99. It has a 3.5" screen and Text to Speech. It works just as well as the Garmin Nuvi 260W($400) I have in my work truck. You may be able to find it online somewhere. Here is the info on that unit.

https://www.nextar.com/frontend/proddetail.asp?pn=M3-06&co=10000312

They are running a running a radio ad around here for Wal Mart.

Garmin Nuvi's for $97 while they last Friday. I may have to go buy one for myself.

Quackrstackr said:

Garmin Nuvi's for $97 while they last Friday. I may have to go buy one for myself.

I just got the sale add today and its in there for $97 - Nuvi 200

Also a Magellan 4.3" Roadmate 1412 for $147

TomTom® ONE 125 Portable GPS Navigation System - $99 Regular $179.99

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=YHI03QNYEXSUTLAQBBICCNVMCAEFCIWE?id=0063891523509a&type=product&cmCat=email&cm_cat=3946&cm_ven=email-nl&cm_pla=HA-0100&cm_ite=product0063891523509a&eid=8798487&cmp=I081125A&seg=FI1&cnt=3946&ctb=891523509a&_requestid=120409

Here's the one I got: $159 delivered..A very good deal

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-270-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B000OH26OM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/183-4602229-6936019?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227653180&sr=8-1

The c550 is still out there, but not as cheap as it was last week......

FishingCop said:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-270-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B000OH26OM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/183-4602229-6936019?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227653180&sr=8-1

That's one heck of a deal, FC! :shock:

Waterwings said:
FishingCop said:

That's one heck of a deal, FC! :shock:

Thanks, yes, I think it was one of the best deals going (and it still is) for us novice, first time users of a GPS.....

We were on a 12 hr charter bus trip last year, and the driver had a Garmin (not sure which model) and I was really impressed with how functional they are. Had to take a couple of detours enroute, so the driver hit the recalculate button, and it provided detour routes. The one he used had the voice prompt feature which was cool, as it would provide directions verbally.

Quackrstackr said:

That's the one I had my eye on. I just didn't really know that much about them(ok I didn't know squat!!) Anyway,it seems like a good deal.
We usually don't go very far,especially here lately with gas and stuff but we would like to make a trip to Lake Fork in Texas early April and then maybe Panama City Beach in Florida some time a little later in the spring for vacation. Surely the cheaper models could guide me in the right path to Texas and Florida from Missouri.

kentuckybassman said:
Quackrstackr said:

That's the one I had my eye on. I just didn't really know that much about them(ok I didn't know squat!!) Anyway,it seems like a good deal.
We usually don't go very far,especially here lately with gas and stuff but we would like to make a trip to Lake Fork in Texas early April and then maybe Panama City Beach in Florida some time a little later in the spring for vacation. Surely the cheaper models could guide me in the right path to Texas and Florida from Missouri.

Pretty much all of the models do well with their intended function, which is basic navigation/directions. As with anything "technology-wise" these days, the more bells & whistles something has, the more it costs. Our Walmart has a neat stand-alone setup for some new snazzy-looking Magellan hand-held gps units, but I'll be danged if I xcan think of the model name ](*,) . I'm gonna go look it up!

Got it! Magellan Triton series (5 models). Entry-level model starts at $129.99, with the top one being $499.99! :shock: . Nice looking units, touch-screen functions, waterproof features. Some of the neat features (varies between models) include a camera, barometer, digital compass (not a new idea for hand-helds), voice recorder, LED flashlight, & SD card compatible.

https://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=425&prodID=1910

Here's the Demo link for the Triton 2000 model ($499.99): (turn your speakers on)
https://www.magellangps.com/product...2000.swf&pageTitle=Magellan Triton Video Demo

I researched those Tritons before I bought my Garmin handheld earlier this month.

They get horrible reviews all over the internet.

Quackrstackr said:
I researched those Tritons before I bought my Garmin handheld earlier this month.

They get horrible reviews all over the internet.

Hmm, interesting. I have an older model Magellan hand-held 2000XL (long since discontinued) which is still a good gps, it just doesn't have all mapping features, color screen and all that.

BPS has a couple on sale for Black Friday and my wife asked me which one I was talking about. I flipped right past tehones she was looking at and pointed to the $499 Lowrence FF/GPS. Guess that's not what she meant huh? Personally as little traveling as I do I can't even justify a $97 unit for my truck. Besides, I never get lost, people always tell me where to go. :lol:

here are some great deals Chuck is one of my local division sponsors and a stand up guy. I picked up my lowrance 27xc from him
https://www.bassfishingforums.net/index.php?topic=10035.msg35307;topicseen#msg35307

Wayne

Latest posts