Shopping today.......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueWaterLED

Reaction score
So my wife had to get up at 4am to work at BPS and so I have the kids. At 10am the phone rings and my folks want me to help pick up a new LCD TV that Sears is advertising on sale. It was a 46 inch Sony Bravia LCD. We get there about 10:45am and every Sony Bravia of every size is sold out completely. Some economy eh? So we then go over to Circuit City where you can barely get in. They literally have 50% of their shelves empty. This is one of the store that is scheduled to be shut down after Christmas, but they definately did not order enough product to get through this shopping season because there was nothing left. They had absolutely ZERO game consoles like Wii, Playstation, X-Box, all gone by noon today.

We did end up getting a deal on an LG 50 series 46 inch 1080p LCD TV for $1049. The prices were all much lower than anywhere else we went.

Anyone else have the misfortune of being in the stores today?

I did it once a few years ago to get a computer and I swore to never do it again! To many crazy people out there.

Did you hear on the news someone at a Walmart in NY got trampled and ended up dying?

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081128/ap_on_re_us/wal_mart_death;_ylt=AiOExMiKp3aVRhzyzC2UVxkDW7oF

wal mart was a mad house. bad economy my butt :roll:

our cashier said most people were paying with cash also, which I found odd, yet hopeful.

7 stores in 5 hours and dropped $841.12. Wife just called a little bit ago and said we bought a DVD player at Sears and we were supposed to have bought a DVD/VCR player. I just looked at their Black Friday ad and didn't see any DVD/VCR player for $49.00. i saw one for $84.00 Gonna have to take that one back. The stores that really surprised me were Menards and Home Depot. Menards the lines were straight back from the registers at least 1/2 to the back of the store. Home Depot we walked in and there were 3 associates offering coffee and donuts. It looked like there was one sales associate for every 2 customers in the store, hardly anyone there.

flounderhead59 said:
Jim said:
Went to the mall around 9am...The parking lot was full, but the stores were empty....odd.

Everybody drove 2 cars?

I pull into the mall and get a spot within seconds. Right there I am thinking I am the luckiest. Then we went into the mall and It was like an average Saturday night visit to a mall. No crowds, no bumping, everyone was civilized for the most part.

The only shopping I have left to do is for my wife. She starts Christmas shopping in early October, so we're pretty much done, and most of that was done on-line. To go to a real mall (ours is small and sucks) we have to drive 40-50 miles, which we don't do, because neither of us can stand the crowds :shock:

Anyone remember the seagulls in Finding Nemo??? Mine, mine, mine,mine,minemineminemine? That's what the first Walmart sounded like at 5:00am.

The store is open 24 hours so they had to let people in before teh sale started, you just couldn't put any "door buster" items in your cart before 5:00am. People were laying across the pallets of items clutching things. Ask someone to move so you could get by and they got worried someone would grab their item. Saw one woman "shopping" in other peoples carts. Didn't see her take anything but she sure was eyeballing stuff like she would grab it if the opportunity presented itself.

flounderhead59 said:
Anyone remember the seagulls in Finding Nemo??? Mine, mine, mine,mine,minemineminemine? That's what the first Walmart sounded like at 5:00am.

LMAO :lol:

I get irritated just being in a busy store in general, theres no way im shopping on black friday. Id rather do my shopping online and have it sent right to their house.

flounderhead59 said:
...People were laying across the pallets of items clutching things...Saw one woman "shopping" in other peoples carts. Didn't see her take anything but she sure was eyeballing stuff like she would grab it if the opportunity presented itself.

I'd hate to see those particular people if there were a real crisis, lol.
crazy_face.gif

I worked a 10 hour shift at Gander Mountain yesterday from 12:30-10:30pm. We weren't all that busy during this time, however I didn't expect a specialty store to be as busy as the big box type stores or mall stores, although we had some awesome deals. I asked the people that were there when we opened at 6 how it was, and they said there were only 25 people that walked through the door at 6am. I have never worked retail before, and just started there 3 weeks ago so I can't compare to other stores or last year.

I worked Thanksgiving night, we opened at 3pm and closed at 9. We had some very nice deals on some things that were supposed to be Thanksgiving day only, and we still had some of those items left when I left today. for instance, we had an 8ft Pelican Kayak with paddle and backrest for 179.99 and there were still 2 left at about Noon today. We had a couple GPS untis on sale, and one of our employees bought one last night when we closed, and we were still giving the Thanksgiving day sale price, which was as good as most other black friday sales.

I am going to shop for myself tomorrow. Employee discounts plus sales=good.

My wife is visiting family in Long Island, Ny. Story on the news there about a 34 year old man being trampled to death and a 28 year old woman ,who was pregnant, hosptalized when the doors where opened on Black Friday and 1500 people rushed into a Wal Mart. How sorry is that. We used to live there and it's that mentallity that drove us out of there.

Latest posts