Fishing Jigs?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
When you guys are fishing a jig, what kind of rod/reel do you use? Spinning or baitcasting? And i'm talking about casting jigs....not flipping/pitching. Reason i'm asking is because I can not for the life of me get comfortable fishing jigs with my left hand when using a baitcaster. I'm so used to fishing finesse stuff like that with my right hand with a spinning reel. Any of you guys ever run into this problem? Wonder if using a left-handed baitcaster would help? I can use a baitcaster fine when fishing cranks, spinnerbaits, and such(moving baits)...just can't get the feel of setting the hook with my left hand when fishing jigs and texas rigs. Thought about getting a left handed baitcaster and trying it that way. So anyone else run into this problem? ](*,)

When I learned how to fish I learned left handed b/c I did not know any better. So now I am a right handed angler who fishes left handed.

Jig:

I fish jigs (casting) on my spinning rod. My spinning rod is a 7' med. rod with 12 lb. test. I like using my spinning rod b/c I can really retrieve extra slow if I want to or extra fast or hops or really anywhere in between. The main reason is that I can get the jig further down to the bootom on slack line than I can on my baitcaster. Oh and I can skip a jig further on my spinning than I can on my baitcasting.

I fish from the bank to skipping it under a overhang 20 feet away is not a problem.

Hope this helps, I fish jigs 90% of the time

Yeah, Thats me...I reel a spinning reel with my left hand, and i'm actually right handed. But reeling a baitcaster with my left hand just doesn't feel right. #-o

if your other baitcasters are right handed, you should stick with a right handed reel in and learn to use it for jigs... I tried out a guys left handed baitcaster the other day and caught a fish - I had a hard time setting the hook, I did it, but it was not fun and it was not fun reeling it in.

I use left handed spinning reels, and it's a totally different beast in reeling techniques between the two. I think my next jig rod/reel setup is going to be the Daiwa Zillion paired with a 6'8 - 7'3 MH rig.

I can swim jigs with my Daiwa Viento on a Kistler Helium LTA 6'9 rod no problem. The way I let my jig fall straight down vertically takes a little practice, but it can be done. I set my reel up (tension/brake) just like you do normally, turning the tension knob with the bait falling just before it hits the water. I then loosen the tension knob just a little bit more and by doing that I have to control the spool with my thumb. Then when I cast and thumb play the spool, when the jig hit the water I let it sink for 2 sec so get the slack out of the line, then let off the spool and it pull the line out. You can also turn your wrist just a little so the reel is sitting to the left (right hand holding the rod) instead of it sitting directly on top. One thing I've learned is that when you cast, at the end of your cast, go ahead and turn your wrist a little and you can generally get an addition yard or two on that cast and the line just comes off easier. I can't explain why, but it works on all of my casts.

By the way, where is Tazewell, TN? I just looked it up, 4.5 hours... not too bad. I'm in Canton, GA which is an hour south of Chattanooga. If I can work it out sometime I'd like to come out and let you put me on some big fish. I'd do the same for you down here, but the water I fish is electric only and I've got a 1236 jon... and I don't think the fish I've been catching are really worth travelling that far for.

I think i'm just gonna stick with a spinning setup for jigs. I just can't make myself use a baitcasting rod for them, just doesn't feel right to me. And i'm talking finesse type jigs/t-rigs(3/16-1/4oz), so I think a spinning rod is better suited anyway myself.

I don't know if it would be worth it to come up and me "put you on some fish"....I can't even put myself on some fish! :lol:

Everything for me is left hand retrieve, I have what I call an uncoordinated spasmatic left arm, I've tried before to work a spook using my left hand, it started out ok but in the middle of the retrieve it looked like I was using a riding whip and at the end of the retrieve looked like I had a full blown seisure and there was no action on the spook, so to save the embarrasment EVERTHING is left hand retrieve. You'll fall in love with the lefthand retrieve baitcaster, GAR-RONE-TEED!!

Most of the time Im using a BC setup for jig fishing. However for some of my smaller "froghair" peanut jigs I use a spinning rod for it.

shamoo said:
Everything for me is left hand retrieve, I have what I call an uncoordinated spasmatic left arm, I've tried before to work a spook using my left hand, it started out ok but in the middle of the retrieve it looked like I was using a riding whip and at the end of the retrieve looked like I had a full blown seisure and there was no action on the spook, so to save the embarrasment EVERTHING is left hand retrieve. You'll fall in love with the lefthand retrieve baitcaster, GAR-RONE-TEED!!

:LOL2: That sounds like me trying to work something with my left hand, I can't do anything that requires coordination...lol. Although i've tried using a left hand retrieve baitcaster and it just didn't feel right. I might could manage with just fishing a jig or something slow like that, but something i'm constantly reeling I couldn't do it(spinnerbait, crankbait, etc). Feels too much like reeling one of those old closed faced zebco 33 or something...lol, just doesn't feel right. :|

All my reels are right handed, even my spinning gear.
I have 3 rods that i use for jigs. all bait casters I can skip a jig with them just as easily as a spinning rod but it took years of practice
I throw jigs from 1/8oz up to 1 1/2 oz. My go to flippin stick is a 7'6" custom made med heavy that has the spiral guides.it is fitted with a scorpion reel.
I don't like the extra heavy flipping stick. I prefer the softer tip. I also have a 7'9" rod that is nice when flipping matts.
Most of the time i use 15lb izorline for my jigs
I have tried spinning gear for jigs but i feel they don't give you the same action(to bouncy)

All my reels are right handed, even my spinning gear.
I have 3 rods that i use for jigs. all bait casters I can skip a jig with them just as easily as a spinning rod but it took years of practice
I throw jigs from 1/8oz up to 1 1/2 oz. My go to flippin stick is a 7'6" custom made med heavy that has the spiral guides.it is fitted with a scorpion reel.
I don't like the extra heavy flipping stick. I prefer the softer tip. I also have a 7'9" rod that is nice when flipping matts.
Most of the time i use 15lb izorline for my jigs
I have tried spinning gear for jigs but i feel they don't give you the same action(to bouncy)

Latest posts