How much have you spent on your gear?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ010

Reaction score
you know what, last night my wife pointed out to me... apparently she's getting smart and went down to my boat and looked at the 5 rod/reels sitting in there that I take with me (boat has been parked in my spot in the garage since I got it back in august). She just came down while I was watching TV last night to ask how much I've spent over the years on those rods... I told her I've had all of them since before we were together (pre 2004)... she corrected me with the alphas ito saying it was a 2005 model, as well as 2 of the other ones. Then she said I got the drop shot not too long ago because of the date on it... (seh did her homework before I knew there would be a pop quiz) anyways, she says I've got over $2,000 in those 5 rod and reel setups.. I almost puked.

I did manage to tell her that I don't have but maybe $700 in all of them and it's true - I bought a lot of them from a pawn shop, still new with tags and never used - he had no idea what he was holding on to. Some guy put them up for collateral and never came back so I took advantage and gave the guy $300 which is what he had tied up in them... but it still makes me sick to my stomach to know that I've got that much in them... and here I am wanting to get another rod/reel setup for jigs - that one will likely cost 3-400 bucks too - if I get what I want that is.

Jim, he said gear not tackle.lol

all i will say is several years ago my wife and I moved, we placed a lot of things in a storage unit including all my tackle.
It was broken into and I lost all my gear 2 gps units a ss prop. vests and everything. the insurance company gave me $7500 in the first check to replace my losses then with the receipts that sent me anther $3000.
Everyone thinks it would be great to spend that kind of cash on fishing gear but it made me sick thinking about the scumbag tht robbed us.
it was all replaced and has grown since then. I have a few things that I have EXTRAS of
jigs 300+
my favorite crank bait 30 of the same bait and color (i have other colors in that bait also)
40 or so packs of redbug worms

my wife sees the bills when they come in and just shakes her head So I cant even use the line
MY biggest fear is that when I die my wife sells my tackle for what I told her I paid for it

#-o Much like the little boys attempt to see how many licks it takes to get to the center of the Tootsie Roll Pop... "the world may never know" how much I have spent on gear, tackle or both. :cry:

I just spent $35 on 8 jigs... I gotta stop!

I think I'm going to go through some of the stuff I have that I never use and donate it to a kid somewhere that can use it. I don't have packs for all of the plastics I have, but there is stuff I have that I know I will never use and there's no better way to get rid of it than to give it away to someone who can actually use it.

I dont even want to think about how much I have spent... over the past few years. All I know is that the fishing industry isnt hurting.. LOL!!

I am the biggest penny pincher around probably. I have three berkley lightning rods I paid $13 each for and the two baitcasters are Cabelas Fish Eagle II that I got from the bargain bin and needed a little TLC, got them for 17$/piece. The spinning reel I got for 10$ off of a Penn employee... Thats the average for my gear for the most part. I get em' cheap and use em. I have others that I got on similar terms. My most expensive rods will be the F series fro acadia when they come :twisted: !

I'm kinda like backpain, although not to that extent I don't think...haha. I try to make the best out of what I can afford. Granted, I would love to be able to drop 3-4 hundred bucks on a single rod/reel combo....but I can't. The most expensive rod i've got is a 6'8 St. Croix Avid, and that was gave to me as a gift. As far as what i've bought, the most expensive is my first 6' M BPS Bionic Blade....bought it new when I first really started fishing spring of 07'....79.95. Put a Shimano Sedona on that, and I still use that alot...perfect for river fishing. Although I would still hate to think about how much I still have spent on stuff since i've gotten started....i'm up to about 4 good Bass combos, 2 musky combos(with a 3rd rod), and one rod I use for trout/crappie fishing. Oh yeah, Does buying a boat count as "gear"..... #-o :lol:

I've got a $195 order waiting for TW(sometime after Christmas), however if I decide to do the deal on that Airrus Rod(7'3" pitchen stick) it will go up considerably and than theres the cranken stick I want, and the BBZ's, When does the madness end? :twisted: Never I tell you, Never! :twisted:

Tackle is nothing - wait until you buy one of these:

last_trip_010.jpg

I probably have at least 10k in tuna rods alone - my fresh water stuff is inexpensive compared to the big boy gear :shock:

Oh yeah - that boat has not been used in two years - I still get to pay a small fortune to store it, but i am left with no gas money [-X

I would sell it but with the market they way it is I would lose 60k easy - plus I woudl probably just start saving for a new one.

I want a an Ocean Cat next 8)

shamoo said:
I've got a $195 order waiting for TW(sometime after Christmas), however if I decide to do the deal on that Airrus Rod(7'3" pitchen stick) it will go up considerably and than theres the cranken stick I want, and the BBZ's, When does the madness end? :twisted: Never I tell you, Never! :twisted:
Shamoo, it's not madness, it is a way of life. They way my wife looks at it is I could be spending the money in the bar or playing cards s she is okay with it.
Airrus was a great rod when ken whiting owned the company I haven't read anything bad about them since any idea who owns the company now?

Well i spend about 500$ on my plastic making project, i dont even want to try an ballpark what ive spent on gear.

I'm probably in the thousands. I don't really want to know. I just hope when I die my wife doesn't sell all of it for what I said I paid for it.... #-o

Captain Ahab said:
shamoo said:
Very Nice Capt. can I use that on Union Lake?

You dig the canal and I will sail it right there :mrgreen:

SAIL IT? Don't suppose you've noticed, there are no sails on that thing. :roll: Of course if you ever bring it to Lake Michigan we could put it to good use chasing Salmons with it. Only need to drill about 8 holes in it for the down riggers. :D

flounderhead59 said:
Captain Ahab said:
shamoo said:
Very Nice Capt. can I use that on Union Lake?

You dig the canal and I will sail it right there :mrgreen:

SAIL IT? Don't suppose you've noticed, there are no sails on that thing. :roll: Of course if you ever bring it to Lake Michigan we could put it to good use chasing Salmons with it. Only need to drill about 8 holes in it for the down riggers. :D

I meant motor it

I have downriggers - never installed them, they are still sitting in the box :oops:

We use outriggers more often so......

Latest posts