Another day in the cold at school event

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Spent another long day in the cold today at a park outside Louisville. Students participating in another orienteering meet, where we believe we placed at least in the top 10, lol. Took some pics with my phone, which shows how dreary a day it was. It was actually sleeting during part of the morning :shock: . The hills were pretty dang steep, with dense forest. Course distance was a 5k.

Pre-race briefing:
normal_12-6-08_pre-race_brief.jpg

View of hill/forest from parking lot:
normal_12-6-08_hill_view.bmp

They had to come down the hill in the background to get to the last punch control before heading to the finish line:
normal_12-6-08_finish_line.bmp

OK , I'm new here , what school event are we doing ?

I spent Thanksgiving at my sisters in New Haven KY. and used to live right up in Jasper IN. in the 70's

welder said:

I spent Thanksgiving at my sisters in New Haven KY. and used to live right up in Jasper IN. in the 70's

It was an orienteering competition (map & compass timed event). Local high schools compete at this same location each December. The kids run for 3-4 hours looking for specific locations (controls), and all of the instructors/adults try to stay warm waiting for them, lol.

Got ya, I'll read your 1st post better next time [ you stated it was a orienteering event ] it's been a loooooooooong week.

Thanks for the reply though. =D>

welder said:

Welcome aboard Welder!

It sure was a nasty day! By 1:00 Louisville was at about a standstill with a touch of light snow/sleet. Guess they tried to save money with this economy and not put down any salt or brine. Roads were a sheet of ice and just about every HWY had numerous wrecks. UGH... took us 2 hours to travel 20 miles. :evil:

Captain Ahab said:
Thanks for the post there WW

How big was the turnout?

Seemed to be about 100 paticipants :)

alumacraftjoe said:
It sure was a nasty day! By 1:00 Louisville was at about a standstill with a touch of light snow/sleet. Guess they tried to save money with this economy and not put down any salt or brine. Roads were a sheet of ice and just about every HWY had numerous wrecks. UGH... took us 2 hours to travel 20 miles. :evil:

We were at Tom Wallace Lake Park near Fairdale, and we attend this event the first week of December each year. I think we've only missed one in the last 12 years. The event is called the "Billy Goat" due to the terrain features. Yesterday the "Goat" was 9k (for adults), the "Jr. Goat" was 5k (for high schoolers), and the "Kid Goat" (3k) was for 8th grade and below. The Meet Director for this particular event has always said that anyone that brings a live goat wil not pay an entry fee, lol. You should hear my students scheming about bringing a real goat (on a school bus), lol :shock:

What did the temp end up being during the day. Looks pretty dreary, but I bet everybody had fun. Good to get kids involved in stuff like this. I did it when I was younger with the scouts and had a blast.

Nice work WW. =D>

Latest posts