High School Bass Tournaments.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
This spring is the first year that the Illinois High School Sports Association will sanction a bass tournament. Something like 241 teams entered for the sectionals. Winners from each division will go on to the state championship. 42 slots. Some of the rules are tamed down (35 mph speed limit for instance) But still pretty cool.

What do you guys think

I pushed a little bit to get one in my school, but they came back to me with "you collect such and such number of people, and plan such and such out, and we will see what we can do." Between school, scouts, band, working, volunteering etc, I don't have the time to commit to that, so I just stick with fishing adult Ts.

I think it's a great idea to have bass fishing in high schools as an extra-curricula activity. The problem (at our school at least) would be the liability involved, ie., boats + water + teenagers; then you would need 1 -2 teachers willing to act as supervisors or coaches. Then the teachers would probably want a coaching stipend, which these days would probably not fit into a school's limited budget. Not completely sure, but I beleive the Illinois Board of Education left it up to the individual schools to locate/furnish all equipment, etc., if they wanted a program.

The schools are on their own for equipment. From what I've heard they opened the coaching up a little more for these. I believe a lot of the schools worked something out with local bass clubs to coach, and the coaches are using their own boats. Students can't drive the boats. The IHSA extended their insurance to them for the tournaments, but it doesn't cover equipment.

I thought it was outstanding that for the first year they have well over 200 schools participating.

ShadowWalker said:
The schools are on their own for equipment. From what I've heard they opened the coaching up a little more for these. I believe a lot of the schools worked something out with local bass clubs to coach, and the coaches are using their own boats. Students can't drive the boats. The IHSA extended their insurance to them for the tournaments, but it doesn't cover equipment.

I thought it was outstanding that for the first year they have well over 200 schools participating.

Good deal on the coaching and the insurance coverage! 8)

I wish they had stuff like that back when I was in school. I used to go fishing everyday after school.

ACarbone624 said:
I wish they had stuff like that back when I was in school. I used to go fishing everyday after school.

i used to fish almost every day BEFORE school (and some days during school as well) :wink: :wink:

I read about that here yesterday. I live in IL, and one of the Tourneys will be held on Carlyle Lake, about an hour and a half from me. From what i heard, someone with a boat would be the "coach" and they would go out in boats that other people own. I dont think the schools will have any. But still it is great, i hope some people in my area get into it.

Latest posts