Back from workshop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Well, myself and the two teachers I traveled with returned from our workshop in Louisville yesterday afternoon. Arrived at the hotel on Sunday around 5pm, got our rooms and went to the hotel restaurant to get something to eat. Got up Monday morning, found the college (12 miles from the hotel :roll: , and finally got started. The workshop was okay, but not what we were expecting. Each of us (about 13 people total from different areas attended) had a computer to use, and we got started. The workshop topic was Geospatial Information Systems :shock: , and we learned how to overlay demographic information over maps (country, state, county, town). Not what we were expecting. The problem was that the instructor moved through the lesson quicker than the computer server could keep up to load the information as we progressed through the required information he was relaying to us. The instructor wrote the program/lesson so I guess he was used to it, lol. It was informative, but I guess I need more time to log stuff into my brain. Class adjourned around 3pm and we returned to the hotel. Decided to get something to eat and found an O'Charley's and had a decent meal. Left the restaurant and had to scrape the windshield so we could see where we were going. Got up Tuesday morning and it had snowed, and the highways were iced. We made an adult decision to not attend the day's lesson at the college and headed home. The teachers from the other high school in our district decided to stay for half a day of lessons. The roads were a piece of crap with snow and ice, and at times we had only 1/2 a lane to travel in (right side tires on pavement, left tires on ice). Speeds did not reach above 45mph until we were about 50 miles from home, then the roads were a little better. Schools around here have been out since Monday afternoon due to the snow and ice. We'll probably hear from our administrators for not attending the second day, but we were the ones who had to travel 3 hours home on the icy roads, and another front was predicted, which we were not going to caught in. I'm just glad to be home, and after we go to school tomorrow and Friday we're out for Christmas break until Jan. 3rd.

Safety is more important than GIS - something the guy should come to your school and do if it's needed. That's the way we do it in the military if we need additional training - plus it's gets you a more one on one training session.

russ010 said:
Safety is more important than GIS - something the guy should come to your school and do if it's needed. That's the way we do it in the military if we need additional training - plus it's gets you a more one on one training session.

Agreed, but it was held at the college where he instructs and is also a Dean of something :roll: . The attendees were from Ky, Tn, and Ill. They did provide some good snacks throughout the day, and feed us lunch at their faculty holiday pot-luck luncheon on campus which was pretty good, so that saved us some $$ on our part, lol. :) . What we missed in class yeaterday was inputting gps waypoints on the overlays, which I should be able to figure out without the class.

Jim said:
Glad your home WW. Enjoy the time off!

Thanks. Good to be back! :)

Glad your home safe.

I once had a boss write me up for, get this, WORKING SAFE.........That stopped at the Admins desk with a , WHAT ARE YA, NUTS......Les wants to work safe and you don't want him too !!! " How much of this city do you want him to OWN....

WW, that prof. will not take care of your family if you were to Die, Great call on your part.

Waterwings said:
russ010 said:

Agreed, but it was held at the college where he instructs and is also a Dean of something :roll: . The attendees were from Ky, Tn, and Ill. They did provide some good snacks throughout the day, and feed us lunch at their faculty holiday pot-luck luncheon on campus which was pretty good, so that saved us some $$ on our part, lol. :) . What we missed in class yeaterday was inputting gps waypoints on the overlays, which I should be able to figure out without the class.

Jim said:
Glad your home WW. Enjoy the time off!

Thanks. Good to be back! :)

This Dean? :lol:

wormer%5B1%5D.JPG

Latest posts