How do you save a few extra dollars?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I was surfing the net one day and I came across an article about a lady who was able to save thousands of dollars by doing one simple thing. Every time she got her hands on a Five dollar bill she would tuck it away. That's it. You pay for things like you normally do, but once that $5 is in your hands...erase it from your memory. I stick it in my Fishing fund jar when I remember and I can not believe how fast it adds up.

ACarbone624 said:
The fishing fund jar is filled with M&Ms not money... :shock:

Sounds good - I am staring an M&M diet come the new year anyway. Flounderhead's food program inspired me 8)

I try to do the same thing with 10's. The occasional skim off the top when depositing my paycheck is also a prime tactic for stealthy purchases. All of those extra, hard earned dollars are better spent on make-up, clothes and shoes...according to my "better" half. :p :lol:

Extra dollars? What is that?

I used to skim out of side work and off the top of my paycheck. My company went to direct deposit and I dont do much of any side work anymore. I just use a debit card to make purchases. My only chance to save is if I get some cash at the atm and dont spend it on kids lunch, or a coke. Just always seam that no mater how much I deposit or how many things I dont buy to save for something better, it all gets gone before I get mine.

Recently started to do that to save for a striper guide trip I am interested in by May or June. Little bit here, little bit there.

Also, last weekend, I put 50 bucks into an investment that I feel, if I play my cards right, might actually net me the needed funds to build the center console before I graduate.
As unhappy as I am about the "new administration," I think I can do alright in this economy, as I have no bills to pay nor a reliance on my own money for necessities, so I can take higher risks than someone who has to rely on each paycheck for food and rent. Right now, in my opinion, is the time to follow Warren Buffet's advice "be scared when people are greedy, and be greedy when people are scared." People are scared right now.

I guess I can look at it this way. If I pull this off, not only will I have built the boat I wanted to before I graduate, I would have built the 12K boat on 50 bucks. At this point, I would like to see if I can do it fully from what I gain with the series of investments this 50 bucks goes through, as I don't plan to supplement it with money I earn from working, unless I am coming down to the wire, and need to. It will be tough, yes, but I think (know) I can. :wink:

I haven't spent a $10 bill in about 5 years... I don't carry cash that often, but anytime I get my hands on a $10 I'll put it in my old military sleeping bag compression bag. It's literally stuffed, but I refuse to pour out the cash and count it. I'm saving that for the kids college. I just read somewhere about a college IRA that you can set up and draw from when the kids go to school.

bassboy - I hope your $50 goes far man, I really do. I've lost A LOT of my "outside" 401K money in the last 4 months... more than I make in a year. Luckily I'm still young and can invest aggressively. The best stock I've bought in the last month was Ford Motor Company for 1.26 and I bought way more than I should have, but it's paid off - It's just over 3 bucks a share now.
You can make money that's for sure... but you can lose it just as easy too, so don't get disheartened when the unfortunate happens... Life Goes On (atleast that's what I keep telling myself)

I've always used the quickest method of turning nothing into something........rob the rich and give to yourself! Just Kiddin

I also have a very bad habit of only using my debit card. Direct deposit is a killer. I havent got burnt by not being able to pay somewhere for not haveing cash, but i live in a very rural area so im sure one day i will buy gas and the place wont have debit machine. I still wonder what i would do if that happens...

Loose change at the end of the day goes in the Animal Cracker jar (cashed in a year and a half worth of $752.33 the other day for my wife's vacation money). I also do on line paid surveys and have received nearly $75.00 in checks and have 3 different survey accounts with $50-60 in each. Started doing the survey thing this past spring. I am also a Neilsen home shopper. I scan the bar codes of all I buy and transmit that data to the Neilsen company. I get reward points and when the accumulate enough I can cash out and select products from them (saves me money as I don't have to buy them).

Buying store brand items helps at the grocery store, for instance my wife likes Mother's sandwich wheat bread. It is $3.19 for a 24oz loaf. Piggly Wiggly sandwich wheat bread is $1.59 for a 24oz loaf. Taste the same to me...

I also keep an eye on the market as far as oil prices and when it goes up I get ready to top off our gas tanks. We have one station that is always the last to go up and if I see the others jump up I know I have 1 more day to fill up. Interesting tidbit, Illinois state law (others as well probably) limits gas stations to raising gas prices to once per day.

About the only way we save is to also buy store-brand items (Kroger's), which in-turn saves us $$ at the Kroger gas pumps. We also do not use a credit card unless we have to. Purchases are cash only or a debit card whereas it comes straight out of the bank account. In February the boat will be paid for, and instead of "pocketing" that monthly payment, we will divert it and add it on towards my wife's car payment to get it paid-off earlier. Savings account! What the heck is that!? lol

I guess I can look at it this way. If I pull this off, not only will I have built the boat I wanted to before I graduate, I would have built the 12K boat on 50 bucks. At this point, I would like to see if I can do it fully from what I gain with the series of investments this 50 bucks goes through, as I don't plan to supplement it with money I earn from working, unless I am coming down to the wire, and need to. It will be tough, yes, but I think (know) I can.

now bassboy.. flipping 50 bucks worth of drugs is not an investment... :mrgreen:

just messin. how bout you share that investment idear so we can all live like kings :lol:

Well....Except Mayo, Wife insists on Cains
[-X
only dukes will do :lol:

Latest posts