Two questions, one topic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
First, Anyone know where I could get jig heads in bulk, painted or unpainted is fine. I have found a few places, but want to make sure I am not missing any other sources. I am looking for 1/16 or 1/8 oz, collared or collarless. I may be interested in some 1/24 as well.

Second, how exactly do the crappie poles work. Some have reels some don't. Are they meant for just vertical jigging? I assume so due to length.

The poles without reels are used usually for live bait under a bobber, favored more by bream fisherman over here in America. However, one of my tournament partners is originally from Britain, and while they sometimes have small spinning reels (and 6 pound line is considered heavy line over there), they usually have 40 foot cane poles. He was telling me that he won a tourney with, I believe 32 pounds. Of course, he weighed in 138 fish. :shock: Lets just say that he refers to that as sitting on a box holding a pole, as opposed to bass or striper fishing over here, which he does refer to as fishing.

Now, as far as crappie rods go (poles don't have reels, rods do), there are different methods. Short ones, say 5'6" or so are often used for casting 1/8 and lighter jigs. Longer ones are used for spider rigging. Often, people will have as many as 10 rods out at once. They will put rods as long as 14 feet arranged around the bow deck, to cover as much as 32 feet of water, as they cover a stump field or something. Or, there will be long rods out the sides, and short ones out the front, and back, provided there is a second person on board.

I don't see many people vertical jigging on cane poles. They usually use 8 or so foot rods. There are couple guys on here who know better than I. Try PMing deputydawg, and papasage, or visit the crappie.com forum and read for yourself.

So I might as well use my UL setup for casting, and maybe get a longer spinning setup for vertical jigging.

ShadowWalker said:
So I might as well use my UL setup for casting, and maybe get a longer spinning setup for vertical jigging.
Likely so, but I would consult with some of the people like I mentioned in my last post, as they know what they are talking about, whereas I plan on starting crappie fishing sometime in the near future (as soon as my wallet lets me), so I am going solely off of memory gained from reading, whereas they get it from memory gained from experience. And, if the memory part doesn't work for them, they can just head out to the garage, and read what length is written on each rod. :D

SW,
Take a look over at tackleundergoround.com for guys that make those jig heads you are looking for. I found a guy who is making me up some jig and spinnerbait heads.

https://www.tackleunderground.com/

Latest posts